• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Matip - stay or go?

Prefix for Poll Threads

Matip - stay or go?

• Stay

Votes: 25 67.6%
  • Go

Votes: 12 32.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Modo

A contentious scando
This is from an interview he did in September:

"Of course, Schalke was my youth club - as a Schalke fan it was an absolute honour to play there. I had the opportunity to do that for a long time and here in Liverpool, with these absolute top conditions, you don't just walk away," Matip said.

"In addition, I also feel incredibly comfortable here in my private life. I think it's desirable not to change clubs all the time. But everyone has to decide for themselves. In any case, I find consistency helpful.

"I'm at an age where I don't think so much about the future anymore. I try to make the most of every day and don't look too far ahead. If it was only these two clubs in the end, I would be perfectly happy. But in football, you never know exactly.

So, should we give him a one year contract or a plaque?

I'd give him a new year on his deal if he'd accept with the view to a 2nd year.

Never relied on pace to be an exceptional defender so I'm not that worried about any rapid decline or anything like that plus he's been injury free for a few years now. His performances this season, all point towards a new deal.

By the sounds of it he'd be more than happy to stay and be fourth choice (or whatever we ask of him), so yeah, why not keep him... assuming he's not asking for the earth.

I love Matip, but I still don't trust his fitness. Given Konate's own problems, it feels like too much of a gamble, so reluctantly I would let him go in the summer and buy a younger CB.

Last edited:
Make him 4th choice, quansah third, donate and vvd to start. We still need to buy another cb for succession planning like

Make him 4th choice, quansah third, donate and vvd to start. We still need to buy another cb for succession planning like
4th choice from next season you
mean? Right now he’s 2nd choice and should remain so until such time of an injury or a run of bad games. Quansah has a long way to go before he’s 3rd choice, right now he’s 5th choice.

mean? Right now he’s 2nd choice and should remain so until such time of an injury or a run of bad games. Quansah has a long way to go before he’s 3rd choice, right now he’s 5th choice.

I'm using it like Virgil 1st, ibou 2nd, matip 3rd choice, quansah 4th.

Next season swap quansah and matip

Even if Matip stays fit and carries on the way he’s playing?

Matip was great today, and decent recently but I don't think anything in his performances have screamed "undroppable"

If anything konate covering for Trent could have been easier with his pace.

Defensive ability wise, it's much of a muchness. Ibou has pace however.

Both also are made of crisps sadly

The emergence of Quansah has been helpful, but I still think one of Matip or Gomez should be replaced. It's too easy to imagine a time when Matip, Gomez and Konate are all out with muscle injuries. We all watched the club cling onto a midfield for a year too long and whilst this is different, I'd generally welcome proactive squad planning.

A year extension would be fine, but if the right player is there then I'd hope we went for them.

I’m ok with him leaving but also ok with him staying another year.

His reading of the game and tackling on his feet is still sublime.

I’d be inclined to let him leave IF we have another CB to come in - ideally one that’s comfortable in either central role - he’s not getting any younger and he’ll have to be replaced at some point. I’d rather not have to replace him and Virgil at the same time.

I’m not too fussed though - as long as it doesn’t lead to a thousand threads about why we kept him after one bad performance.

Ibou may well become the better of the two but I don't think he's there yet. Every player has his price but I'd be in no hurry to sell Matip.

Matip like last time will get injured as soon as he signs a contract extension. But lets give him one anyway

Big Joel is in the form of his career and is hugely improved from the last couple of years.
Is it a coincidence that his current deal expires at the end of this season.
Is he playing for a new contract somewhere?

Big Joel is in the form of his career and is hugely improved from the last couple of years.
Is it a coincidence that his current deal expires at the end of this season.
Is he playing for a new contract somewhere?
Matip is not the type that would move to Saudi, I think his options are Liverpool, Schalke or retirement.

I’m not sure I can cope with thread upon thread from the usual suspects crying about not being able to add any new players m because we’ve already got 25 players… followed by someone moaning about us having too small a squad even though we can’t register any more players.

I like Big Joel - but we can’t refresh our defence AND keep him.

I’m not sure I can cope with thread upon thread from the usual suspects crying about not being able to add any new players m because we’ve already got 25 players… followed by someone moaning about us having too small a squad even though we can’t register any more players.

Yeah I agree, but I think Gomez has been worse and it doesn't look like he's going anywhere. So it's a bit unfair.

Won't some (I'm assuming you mean foreign) spots become free due to Thiago and Adrian likely leaving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom