• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Matip - stay or go?

Prefix for Poll Threads

Matip - stay or go?

• Stay

Votes: 25 67.6%
  • Go

Votes: 12 32.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are going to go into January in touching distance of the top (and might even be top if we beat Arsenal and have good results around it). If we go into that window knowing that Matip is fucked, Ibu is struggling with injuries, Robbo out and Trent starting to transition to a CM..... and don't reinforce the defence, then that is about as close to malpractice as our recruitment team could get.

We should be poaching a starting CB from a PL team, even if it comes with a premium. This is a season that an investment of this nature could be the thing that wins us the league.

We are going to go into January in touching distance of the top (and might even be top if we beat Arsenal and have good results around it). If we go into that window knowing that Matip is fucked, Ibu is struggling with injuries, Robbo out and Trent starting to transition to a CM..... and don't reinforce the defence, then that is about as close to malpractice as our recruitment team could get.

We should be poaching a starting CB from a PL team, even if it comes with a premium. This is a season that an investment of this nature could be the thing that wins us the league.

Who would you want from a PL team? There doesn't feel like a lot that we could afford, or from teams willing to sell

Guehi is my best suggestion?

I'm hearing echo's of the summer

The team that won the league is not comparable at all this team or how the league season rolled out. At this stage we had 13 wins and 1 draw. Comparisons are stupid.
Might as well compare our 1990 team.
This team is very light on at the back and we’ve lost our RB, our keeper for a bit and and now our best partner with Virgil for the rest of the season. Between him and Ibou and Gomez we maybe could have managed minor injuries to all three at various stages if they didn’t overlap but losing the best of the three completely has finished off any slim hope we had.

So we’re 9 points behind where we were when we one the league- how many points did we win the league by?

We have the exact same amount of points after 14 games as we did in 20/21 when we lost the league by 1 point - City had 1 more point than us at that point - they currently have one left.

Who was our best defender in title winning year? Who’s our best defender this year? I’ll help you - it’s Virgil.

Matip played in 9 league games in the season we won the League - was he more important than Gomez then or not?

Is Gomez better or worse now?

Is Konate, even injured, more or less of a liability than Lovren?

Can you name the 5th choice CB and how many games they played and whether they were better than Quansah?

Your words - “very light on at the back” - and yet 3 of the 4 CBs remain, our “4th” is better and we’ve got a good youngster coming through.

I’m absolutely up for signing another CB in Jan - but you’re talking out your blow hole again if you think Matip getting injured derails our season and we’re more “light on” at CB than the season we actually won it.

Remind me - who conceded the least goals in 19/20?

And who were the defenders that achieved that result?

I remember when Klopp came in, and the impression we had was that he would have a young squad and a have a few experienced players. However, it could be due to budgets or an unwillingness to let go, we went from having one of the youngest squads to the oldest. If Klopp is going to play the high line, you need players with legs, Matip doesn't have it anymore. Robbo is losing it. Konate is just a tall french Naby, looks like he is made out of bricks but on closer inspection its weetabix. Gomez the same.
Quansah is really good, but we do need a CB but we need more

I remember when Klopp came in, and the impression we had was that he would have a young squad and a have a few experienced players. However, it could be due to budgets or an unwillingness to let go, we went from having one of the youngest squads to the oldest. If Klopp is going to play the high line, you need players with legs, Matip doesn't have it anymore. Robbo is losing it. Konate is just a tall french Naby, looks like he is made out of bricks but on closer inspection its weetabix. Gomez the same.
Quansah is really good, but we do need a CB but we need more

I agree with this totally. I love Matip but if you look at his career overall - he has missed quite a bit through injury, and I remember clearly before his last contract extension - he signed and then was injured straight away in the next game and out for the next 3 months. This time round he has done the playing but luckily no contract extension, I think this will be his last season to be honest.

So we’re 9 points behind where we were when we one the league- how many points did we win the league by?

We have the exact same amount of points after 14 games as we did in 20/21 when we lost the league by 1 point - City had 1 more point than us at that point - they currently have one left.

Who was our best defender in title winning year? Who’s our best defender this year? I’ll help you - it’s Virgil.

Matip played in 9 league games in the season we won the League - was he more important than Gomez then or not?

Is Gomez better or worse now?

Is Konate, even injured, more or less of a liability than Lovren?

Can you name the 5th choice CB and how many games they played and whether they were better than Quansah?

Your words - “very light on at the back” - and yet 3 of the 4 CBs remain, our “4th” is better and we’ve got a good youngster coming through.

I’m absolutely up for signing another CB in Jan - but you’re talking out your blow hole again if you think Matip getting injured derails our season and we’re more “light on” at CB than the season we actually won it.

Remind me - who conceded the least goals in 19/20?

And who were the defenders that achieved that result?

Can you help me and let me know who the defenders were - Virgin and ?

It's not panic stations (yet). VVD has improved significantly and Quansah is proving himself good enough to warrant development games against the lower PL clubs. The issue as always is the fitness records of Gomez and Konate. As a collective, our CBs just aren't reliable enough.

Goncalo Inacio is reportedly our main target and we've tracked him for 2 years. £52M release clause makes a Jan move a possibility if the funds are there.

It's not panic stations (yet). VVD has improved significantly and Quansah is proving himself good enough to warrant development games against the lower PL clubs. The issue as always is the fitness records of Gomez and Konate. As a collective, our CBs just aren't reliable enough.

Goncalo Inacio is reportedly our main target and we've tracked him for 2 years. £52M release clause makes a Jan move a possibility if the funds are there.

I think my flabber would be so gasted I'd need hospitalisation if we spent £20m in the Jan window, never mind £50m

I'd be happy with a defender who wasn't modelled on the Land Rover Defender and constantly broke down. I was pushing for Lloyd Kelly believing he might stay fit, I was naïve.
We need a defender, as gomez will break down soon and Quansah is still learning. Get me a DM and a CB and I am happy till the summer. Deregister Thiago if you must to make room

Last edited:
Matip out for the season. Ruptured ACL.
Klopp said it during the press conference

Aye, I think if this poll were made today it'd look a lot different.

Been a hell of a run mind, one of the best signings in the clubs history.

Ok that’s a game changer. Super, super sad but clearly that’s it for his career, at least at the top level, which is massively sad.

i know he’s not got the ten years but he deserves a testimonial as he’s been superb for us.

I guess we DO need to look at a CB in January now

I'd like to think we'd have been doing that anyway, given the injury questions surrounding most of the current ones even before this happened,

Hincapie to arrive in the New Year?

I'd like to think we'd have been doing that anyway, given the injury questions surrounding most of the current ones even before this happened,

Hincapie to arrive in the New Year?

It's almost impossible to buy from German clubs in January, particularly when they are in the title race.

Jurgen Klopp says there is a possibility Joel Matip could still sign a new Liverpool contract despite sustaining a potentially season-ending ACL injury.

Jurgen Klopp says there is a possibility Joel Matip could still sign a new Liverpool contract despite sustaining a potentially season-ending ACL injury.
I think we've done it before. Ox maybe?
Anyway, I really hope the club gives him a one year extension. This is his 8th season, we need to show some loyalty here.

I think we've done it before. Ox maybe?
Anyway, I really hope the club gives him a one year extension. This is his 8th season, we need to show some loyalty here.

Yeah, I'm not against him signing a one year extension. He's on a 100k per week so the wages should probably reflect his role next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom