• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Matip - stay or go?

Prefix for Poll Threads

Matip - stay or go?

• Stay

Votes: 25 67.6%
  • Go

Votes: 12 32.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted Go. He is 32, we need younger fresher legs if we are to keep playing the highline.

Summer, he walks for free and can where ever he likes. Are we getting a Sporting Director who can sort this stuff out?

Feels like he would have been given a new contract already if he was staying.

Reactions: dee
Won't some (I'm assuming you mean foreign) spots become free due to Thiago and Adrian likely leaving?

Yes, but Gravvy takes one of those so that would leave a max of 2 - if we don’t sign anyone in Jan.

Yeah I agree, but I think Gomez has been worse and it doesn't look like he's going anywhere. So it's a bit unfair.

Yes, but in Gomez plus column, he’s home grown, club trained, will have just turned 27 a few months before the start of next season and can play RB, RCB, LCB & LBs, is our longest serving player and is a low profile, non whinging sort of guy.

That counts for something and it’s not easily replaced.

Home-grown is a BIG factor considering that we are at our limit not and can't sign any more non HG players without deregistering anyone.

There don't seem to be many homegrown players that we are interested in, and those that we are, are probably not available to us (Branthwaite, Olise, Guehi, Lavia..)

Home-grown is a BIG factor considering that we are at our limit not and can't sign any more non HG players without deregistering anyone.

There don't seem to be many homegrown players that we are interested in, and those that we are, are probably not available to us (Branthwaite, Olise, Guehi, Lavia..)

Probably because they're all shit and overpriced.

We can still sign 18-21 year olds.

Thiago & Adrian we know are 100% goners in June.

I'm fine if he re-signs at a reasonable wage and we gradually taper off his playing time in favour of Konate and/or Quansah. He's been a great servant and can still play on his day.

I'd be fine if he left, too, but not necessarily eager to push him out the door.

I prefer older options like him being available to allow the younger prospects (like Quansah) to get invaluable game time.

I love Matip, but I still don't trust his fitness. Given Konate's own problems, it feels like too much of a gamble, so reluctantly, I would let him go in the summer and buy a younger CB.
Totally agree with you, but I would sooner be looking to sell Joe Gomez before Joel Matip.
But yes we need to bring in a new CB/two if we can shift bot Gomez and Matip

I think we’ve currently got 1 OS spot vacant, but Gravenberch fills that next season.

Yes, we’ll have free OS spots if Thiago & Adrian leave - for a LB, LCB or DM.

Pitaluga, Carvalho & Morton all have to be registered as HG players next season, so if we retained them, we’d have a couple of HG spots left, but would need to free up space the following season as Harvey, Quansah, Bradley & Ramsey all have only one more season as U21s.

There’s obviously the Salah question too.

Feels like he would have been given a new contract already if he was staying.
I still think, things can change dramatically come January. Klopp likes keeping old wise heads around and it will be up to Matip evaluate his offers from elsewhere vs Liverpool. Then there will be a decision imo.

I think the right answer is keep until we’re in a position where we don’t need him anymore and we definitely do need him at the moment.

Hopefully Klopp isn’t rhyming off CBs, saying we don’t need one next preseason when the fans are demanding one though.

You know Matip was missing for a large part of the season where we actually did win the league, don’t you?
Stupid comparison imo.

We are short at CB and he’s arguably our best CB after Virgil and all other options are either injury prone (Ibou) or inferior/inconsistent (Gomez, Quash, Endo)

We needed a high performing for Matip.

Stupid comparison imo.

We are short at CB and he’s arguably our best CB after Virgil and all other options are either injury prone (Ibou) or inferior/inconsistent (Gomez, Quash, Endo)

We needed a high performing for Matip.

How’s it a stupid comparison?

You just posted that our League Challenge was over - I presume based on Matip’s injury & our record with him together with Virgil.

It means nothing of the sort - and we did win the league with him injured for a large part of the season.

Give matip the milner treatment , name a door after him and let him be the most aggressive head-patters we've got. He's also still more than capable

How’s it a stupid comparison?

You just posted that our League Challenge was over - I presume based on Matip’s injury & our record with him together with Virgil.

It means nothing of the sort - and we did win the league with him injured for a large part of the season.
The team that won the league is not comparable at all this team or how the league season rolled out. At this stage we had 13 wins and 1 draw. Comparisons are stupid.
Might as well compare our 1990 team.
This team is very light on at the back and we’ve lost our RB, our keeper for a bit and and now our best partner with Virgil for the rest of the season. Between him and Ibou and Gomez we maybe could have managed minor injuries to all three at various stages if they didn’t overlap but losing the best of the three completely has finished off any slim hope we had.

The team that won the league is not comparable at all this team or how the league season rolled out. At this stage we had 13 wins and 1 draw. Comparisons are stupid.
Might as well compare our 1990 team.
This team is very light on at the back and we’ve lost our RB, our keeper for a bit and and now our best partner with Virgil for the rest of the season. Between him and Ibou and Gomez we maybe could have managed minor injuries to all three at various stages if they didn’t overlap but losing the best of the three completely has finished off any slim hope we had.

I don't know if you believe in signs but Matip got a knee injury and was out for about 3 months the season we won the league.

I don't know if you believe in signs but Matip got a knee injury and was out for about 3 months the season we won the league.
I don’t. Every year City have fucked is, dickheads have rattled off all these coincidences to some other random year we won shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom