• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

MLB '09 Thread

Well he's on pace for 4 HR's this season.

I don't know what the problem is - he could be in a massive slump. He may be past it - let's face it he could be a few years older than his birth claims.

He also looks a bit smaller this year than he has before.

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=32593.msg879020#msg879020 date=1243713312]
So despite finally getting a home run the other week, is Ortiz past it or just in a massive slump?
[/quote]

Hate to say t because of what he's meant to us for so long now, but I think he's done.

He was an almost automatic out in last years ALCS, just when we needed him most. I saw the writing on the wall then.

It's amazing that the team can still afford to carry him.

I reckon they'll cut their losses with him in the next month or two and get Aubrey Huff in to DH for the end of the season.

ATLANTA -- Tom Glavine wanted to end his career with the Braves.

If this is the end, it wasn't on his terms.

Atlanta released the winningest active pitcher in the big leagues on Wednesday, a stunning move just when it seemed he was ready to return to the Braves.

The move was first reported by ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

The 43-year-old Glavine, who was coming back from shoulder and elbow surgery, threw six scoreless innings in a rehab start for Class-A Rome on Tuesday night and proclaimed himself ready to pitch in the majors again.

More: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4228623

That Glavine story is getting messy, he's threatening to file a grievance with the Union.

Apparently you can't release players solely for financial reasons, and that's what Glavine is alleging is the case here.

[quote author=DHSC link=topic=32593.msg889874#msg889874 date=1245234483]
Sammy Sosa was tested positive for drug use in 2003.
[/quote]

Like 95.87% of activer MLBers who played during the steroid era.

Off the top of my head ...

A-Rod has passed REggie Jackon on home run list.

O's just had a huge comeback win against the Sox

Rangers are in a bad streak but still close to the Angels in the AL West.

not good for Ross's team:

Toronto Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi has spoken with Roy Halladay and prepared him for the possibility that he will bring trade possibilities to the pitcher in the weeks or months ahead.

Halladay, 32, has a no-trade clause that will allow him to dictate whether he will be dealt before he becomes eligible for free agency next fall.

"He's open to at least listening," said Ricciardi. "He's not going to be a guy who will let you do all the work [preparing for a possible trade], and then he's not willing to listen. If it makes sense, he will listen."

The Jays' situation with Halladay is much like that which faced the Minnesota Twins during the 2007 season with ace Johan Santana: The left-hander was set to become eligible for free agency in 2008, and after Santana turned down an offer from Minnesota, the Twins dealt him to the Mets.

"I want to stay, but I think it's a situation you have to evaluate," Halladay said before Tuesday night's game against Tampa Bay. "I'm really not at that situation just yet. If something does come up, you weigh your options at that point. I hate to put the cart in front of the horse and start saying 'Do I want to do that?' I think you just evaluate the situations when they come."

Halladay is eligible for free agency after the 2010 season, and so the Jays essentially will have three windows of opportunity in which they could consider dealing the former Cy Young Award winner -- in the 24 days before the July 31 trade deadline; during the offseason; or next season.

At the beginning of the season I thought we'd do well to hang onto him but when we put ourselves in contention I thought there's no way they'll trade him during the season. Even though we're behind there's a lot of pitching to come off the DL soon. We could give it a crack, unfortunately three of the top 5 teams in baseball are above us in the division.

Halladay is the best in the game in at the moment and should draw a lot of attention. Given that he beats the Yankees every time I'll be surprised if they don't try to come up with a package for him.

Since 1996, AL hasn't lost All-Star game ... The streak continued last night as they won 4-3.

In other news: Pedro may be signing with the Phils soon. yes, that Pedro.

Impressive.

Ryan Howard's unfamiliar with the Hall of Famer he surpassed by reaching a home run milestone Thursday night.

The Philadelphia Phillies slugger hit his 200th home run, achieving the total in fewer games than any player in major league history. Ralph Kiner, who played in the 1940s and '50s, previously held the record.

What does Howard know about Kiner?

"Uh, he's the guy whose record I broke," Howard said with a smile. "Not to be disrespectful or anything, but he was before my time."

Howard achieved the feat in his 658th game, hitting his 23rd homer of the season in the sixth inning of a 4-0 win over Florida. Kiner hit No. 200 in his 706th game.

"It's a nice feat," Howard said. "It's a nice record to have. I'll take it and run with it."

Howard is the eighth Phillies player to hit 200 homers.

haha ... Howard doesn't give a shit.

The All Star Game is a bit of a farce isn't it ? If it's just an exhibition game it shouldn't be used to decide homefield advantage. But if it has to mean something surely it should be played like a proper game and the teams shouldn't be handicapped by having to take at least one player from every team.

yah he's phenomenal ... if he's 100% clean, and he continues on this pace for another 7-8 years, he'll be amongst the best of all time.

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=32593.msg911122#msg911122 date=1248385439]
Mark Burhle (sp?) just pitched a perfect game, gents...

That's his second no hitter, no less.
[/quote]

Wow.

He's a very solid pitcher but I didn't expect that.

And Pujols is the Daddy.

I love reading this thread because I haven't got a scooby what the fuck is going on.
I don't know one single player mentioned apart from A-Rod, I know him or at least I have heard of him, I couldn't tell you what he looks like.

Rosco, where do you keep up with the sport? It's never shown over here.
Do you watch it online? I've been to see the LA Dodgers so I'll support those bad boys.
Are they any good? 10 straight home victories I hear.

I used to watch it on NASN when I had the dodgy box but I haven't got around to getting a new one yet so I haven't seen any baseball this year.

I usually follow the results online and listen to a podcast a few times a week that details what's been going on.

And the Dodgers have one of, if not the best record in baseball at the moment so yeah they're pretty good. Although I think they'll struggle in the playoffs because they don't really have any pitchers who can shut down the oppostion whereas most of their rivals do.

On a side note - Halladay to the Phillies is being strongly hinted at the moment.

Holliday has been traded to the Cardinals, meaning Pujols might finally have some decent protection in that lineup. Scary thought

Back
Top Bottom