• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

MLB '09 Thread

There was some controversy about it too. They covered his jersey in beer to celebrate when he'd died as a result of a drink driver.

Anyways, do the Red Sox get the Yankees? if so, they will do the twats.

We get Los Angeles first. Winner gets New York or Detroit / Minnesota.

I wish I shared your optimism, amigo - I think they'll sweep us (IF we get that far).

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=32593.msg954653#msg954653 date=1254323432]

I wish I shared your optimism, amigo - I think they'll sweep us (IF we get that far).
[/quote]

I think I'd be more worried about the Angels than the Yankees.

The Angels have the best offence in the league and a lot of their starters are still pretty fresh because they began the season on the DL, added to that Kazmir seems to be back on his game. The Yankees have an excellent offense too, but their starters are Sabathia who has an awful postseason record, Pettite who is imminently beatable and AJ Burnett who is massively inconsistent and doesn't have a great track record of pitching in pressure situations.

Verlander could make the Detroit Yankees series very very interesting too.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=32593.msg955720#msg955720 date=1254439822]

[/quote]

The Angels have the best offence in the league and a lot of their starters are still pretty fresh because they began the season on the DL, added to that Kazmir seems to be back on his game. The Yankees have an excellent offense too, but their starters are Sabathia who has an awful postseason record, Pettite who is imminently beatable and AJ Burnett who is massively inconsistent and doesn't have a great track record of pitching in pressure situations.

[/quote]

Have you watched us lately? I don't think we're worrying anybody this post-season, to be honest...

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=32593.msg955727#msg955727 date=1254441537]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Have you watched us lately? I don't think we're worrying anybody this post-season, to be honest...
[/quote]

This is defo reverse psychology posting ... The BoSox should be feared in post season ... Whether they do it this year, I don't know. I just hope the Yankees don't ...

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=32593.msg955727#msg955727 date=1254441537]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I saw a little of the Yankees series lasy weekend.

I thought they were playing mind games with the Yankees

The Twins beat out the Tigers after extra innings in a one off playoff entry decider last night. They play the Yankees tonight and they will most likely get dispatched quite quickly.

Cliff Lee is on the verge of putting the Phillies 1 up. He was one out away from a shutout before giving up a run and finishing the game.

The playoffs:

Philly - Colorado
Dodgers - Cardinals

Skankees - Twinkies
Bo Sox - Angels

Hoping that the Yankees will NOT win it this year -

I think that momentum will give the Twins a chance, at least tonight. If they can scratch out a win this evening, who knows..? That said, I expect the Yankees to win in no more than four, if that.

The Sox had better be hitting the ball, 'cos the Angles will steal 10,000 bases over the course of this series. We're more than capable, but I just don't fancy us - We're not playing well right now, and there's still a few important injuries. REALLY hope I'm wrong, obviously, but Angels in 4, maybe 5.

Yankees to beat LA in 6 in the ALCS.

St. Louis to beat the Dodgers in 4, I think. Likewise, Philly over Colorado, 3-1, maybe even a sweep.

St. Louis to win a classic 7 game series in the NLCS.

And then to beat the Yankees in 6 in the WS.

Alternatively, of course, the Red Sox might just win the next 11 games in row, too. I'd be pleased with that! 🙂

Yankees and Dodgers are both 1 up after last night.

I'm surprised the Dodgers managed to get to Chris Carpenter.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=32593.msg956748#msg956748 date=1254595588]
Ricciardi fired. [/quote]

Far, far too late. But better late than never.

Wow, what a tie-breaker game between the Twins and Detroit the other night. Instant classic.

Angels 2 up on the Red Sox, Yankees two up on the Twins.

Phillies and Rockies are level at one each.

Dodgers lead the Cardinals 2-0.

I can't see any of the teams coming back from a 2-0 deficit.

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=32593.msg961057#msg961057 date=1255295454]
One fucking strike from Papelbon away...
[/quote]

Papelbon hasn't been the 'automatic' closer that he is thought of for about 18 months now... I felt this one coming even before his first f#$!ing pitch brought in two runs.

If we got good value, I'd consider a trade for him this winter.

Yankees sweep the Twins and will play the Angels in the ALCS.

Philly and the Rockies now on.

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=32593.msg961105#msg961105 date=1255312410]
[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=32593.msg961057#msg961057 date=1255295454]
[/quote]

Papelbon hasn't been the 'automatic' closer that he is thought of for about 18 months now... I felt this one coming even before his first f#$!ing pitch brought in two runs.

[/quote]

Would Wagner be a good option to close?

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=32593.msg961105#msg961105 date=1255312410]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Trading him has been mentioned quite a bit this year, some reporters have mentioned that Papelbon pissed off the coaching staff with his pig headed attitude and his insistence on only throwing his fastball. He thinks it's so good that he doesn't need any offspeed stuff.

He threw 28 pitches last night and 26 of them were fastballs. And all the pitches that got hit were fastballs.

The combination of him being one year away from a big deal, him being a complete bellend, and the fact that Daniel Bard looks ready for the role (and if he isn't Wagner is there for next year) should mean he'll be traded.

Billy Wagner may have thrown his last pitch in the major leagues.

The former Mets pitcher told The Post yesterday he's planning to retire rather than pursue a closer's job -- and 400 career saves -- next season.

Wagner allowed two runs in two-thirds of an inning for the Red Sox on Sunday in Game 3 of the ALDS before closer Jonathan Papelbon surrendered three runs in the ninth. The Red Sox season ended with a 7-6 loss to the Angels.

"I don't plan on talking to nobody," Wagner said, when asked where he might pitch next season.

Does that mean retirement?

"Why wouldn't I?" he said. "I've got nothing else to [accomplish]."

That's a different picture than Wagner painted before leaving the Mets for the Red Sox in August as part of a waiver deal. The 38-year-old lefty, who returned from an 11-month hiatus after undergoing Tommy John surgery, had said his plan for next year was to pursue a closer's job near his Virginia home -- perhaps Washington, Baltimore or Cincinnati -- and make a run at the 15 saves he needs to reach 400 for his career.

The Red Sox have agreed not to pick up Wagner's $8.8 million option for next year, allowing him to become a free agent and pursue his goal.

But yesterday, Wagner indicated the saves milestone is not relevant to his decision.

"That's just dust in the wind," he said.

A source close to the situation said Wagner might just need a cooling period before deciding to pitch in 2010, but also cautioned that the lefty is making his family a priority and could very well be serious about rettirement. In 15 regular-season appearances for the Red Sox, Wagner went 1-1 with a 1.98 ERA. Wagner got two outs in the eighth inning on Sunday but then surrendered two hits, and Juan Rivera's two-run single against Papelbon pulled the Angels within 5-4.

So, I got three out of four right, but I was WAY off on that fourth one, eh? And, of course, that f#$!s up my overall prediction. I'm afraid I think it's the yankees now.

Back
Top Bottom