• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

MLB '09 Thread

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=32593.msg925211#msg925211 date=1250420335]
A silly question maybe, but how have Boston got this SS after the trade deadline?
[/quote]

the waiver's wire ... it's an odd system and i've never really tried to figure it out to be honest!

Big win for the Rangers last night - and what should have been a sweep of hte BoSox is an important 2-1 series win. Momentum definitely favors the Rangers here but I remain skeptical for a few reasons

a) The BoSox have been through this the past 10 years ... They know what it takes
b) The Rangers are a really young team, relying on extremely 'streaky' young pitchers.
c) It's the Rangers
d) Did I mention, it's the Rangers?

The waiver wire system is not that complicated......

Before any trade can be completed AFTER the trade deadline, the players involved in the trade MUST be placed on waivers first. At that point, any team that has an interest in either player can make a claim for him.

i.e. "oh..... he's available to pick up? We'll have him!"

At that point, the original team can withdraw the player from waivers and keep him.

If no teams show interest in either player, the trade is allowed to be completed.

This system basically eliminates the possibility that a contending team could make a lopsided trade with another team right at the end of the season....

That's it in a nutshell

And Pudge has just gone back to the Rangers via the waivers system.

Fowler23 - if a player clears waivers, and his team release him does that he can sign for the league minimum somewhere ?

E.g. just like John Smoltz recently ?

Rosco....

Smoltz was released (another word for cut), which allowed him to sign with my Cardinals. If he was merely placed on waivers, his former team were "testing the waters" to see if anyone had any interest in him. A waiver claim for him would assume his OLD salary as well.

He signed a new deal (wages, personal terms, etc) with the Cards.

I don't know if the Cards are World Series favorites at this point (the probalby are not) but they are contenders to play in the NLCS for sure. I'd love to play the Dodgers, btw, the Cards have beat up on them lately....

Dodgers lack the top notch pitching that's invaluable in the playoffs. The Cards don't.

The Yankees look like they'll be tough to stop this year though.

Smoltz starts well for the cards.

5 IP, 3 H, 0 HR, 0 BB, 9 K

All the sabermatricians are loving it, they were predicting he'd be fine in the long run this season because his bad numbers were down to luck, all the important indicators were good.

Unassisted triple play by the Phillies' Eric Bruntlett in the bottom of the ninth helps win the game.

Awesome play.

Re: MLB '09 Threa d

We're in the final stages of the regular season now. Some of the division races look like they're over already.

AL East - Yankees have it wrapped up

AL Central - Detroit look like they won't be caught.

AL West - I can't see the Angels being caught by Texas. Not enough games left.

NL East - The Phillies are 6 ahead but faltered in the past week. They'll still top the division though.

NL Central - The Cardinals have it wrapped up, they're something like 11 games ahead.

NL West - The Dodgers look a little vulnerable, they've been average since Manny's return. And the Rockies have the best record in baseball since Jim Hendry took over. But there's not much time to make up a 3.5 game deficit.

In the Wildcard Races, the AL looks like it's between the Red Sox and Texas. I'd fancy the Red Sox to stay ahead but it'll be close. The NL wildcard will go to whoever doesn't win the NL West.

So the playoffs should contain:

Yankees, Red Sox, Angels and Tigers.

Cardinals, Phillies, Dodgers and Rockies.

I'm predicting a Yankees v. Cardinals World Series, with the Cardinals coming out on top. Carpenter, Wainwright and Pineiro will be enough to lead them through. Never mind Pujols and Holliday.

I hate him, and his team, and am quite certain he also dabbled with 'roids but props to tying this record ...

Derek Jeter(notes) peeked down at third base and saw a huge patch of green grass. There it is, he thought, a perfect opportunity to break out of that slump.

So, he took advantage of it. Jeter began the night with a surprising bunt single—and didn’t stop hitting until he tied Lou Gehrig.

With three hits on Wednesday, Jeter matched the New York Yankees record of 2,721, a mark Gehrig held by himself for more than 70 years.

“It’s just kind of mind-boggling to have my name next to his,†Jeter said on the field during a postgame television interview pumped over the Yankee Stadium public address system.

I think the Phillies are the best NL team ... The Yanks are the best in the AL ... I don't think the Yanks will win the World Series. Ok, I think they probably will but I hate them, so I hope they don't win anything.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=32593.msg941324#msg941324 date=1252610517]
An ex teammate of Jeter's did recently cast some doubt on him but he doesn't have the typical numbers for a steroid user does he ?

He's been fairly consistent over a long time.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jeterde01.shtml?redir

He seems to have a little bit of everything.[/quote]

Look at rookie pics of him ...

Unless it's proven, there will always be doubts but I doubt some 'good boy from michigan' didn't touch that stuff when his teammates were doing it (Sheffield, Canseco etc) ...

[quote author=Spionkop69 link=topic=32593.msg941347#msg941347 date=1252614815]
Phillies to win back to back World Series.
[/quote]

I dunno.

They've got a great lineup but Lidge looks like he's done. I'm not sure they can replace him adequately.

The Cardinals are the National Leagues ONLY team to have a winning record against the Yankees in multiple World Series Matchups. (That Florida Marlins situation was a one off).

The Cards beat Ruth's Yankees in 1926, Dimaggios in 1942 and beat them again in 1964 for 3 wins against 2 losses. Bring em on!

Yankees look great this year.

I agree with Ross, seems like it will be a Yankees vs Cards world series.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=32593.msg944168#msg944168 date=1253080722]
Michael Young is back now though so you may get back into it
[/quote]

I know all teams go through it, but had we had a 'healthy' Josh Hamilton for at least half a season, we probably would be 1st in the AL west.

I seemed to have put a curse on the Tigers, they haven't won since I posted about them.

This has been a great series between Boston and Los Angeles.

Very close stuff, and another nail-biter tonight. We were blessed last night. A clear 3rd strike that would have ended the game was called ball 4, it walked in the tying run, and a bloop(ish) single won it in the next at bat.

All sets up for a great palyoff series.

the end of an era:

NEW YORK (AP)—After 50 years in baseball, Bobby Cox figured the only way he would ever give up managing was to pick a specific time and announce it publicly.

So that’s what he did Wednesday, revealing his plans to retire as manager of the Atlanta Braves after next season.

Now comes the hard part: sticking to it.

“There is a little bit of relief once you come to grips with announcing it,†Cox said. “I’ve never lost the love to manage, period. But you have to make a decision. At my age, you have to make a decision. Somebody a little younger can start up.â€

The 68-year-old Cox, a four-time Manager of the Year, agreed to a one-year contract extension for 2010, the Braves announced before Wednesday night’s game against the New York Mets. He will start a five-year consulting agreement to advise the team in baseball operations after he steps down as manager.

“I’ll believe it when I see it,†Braves slugger Chipper Jones(notes) said.

During an illustrious career on the bench, Cox has guided Atlanta to 14 consecutive postseason appearances (1991-2005) and the 1995 World Series title.

“They asked me to come back, and I said I would do it for one more year, and we’ll announce the retirement along with it. It’s the only way I think I’m ever going to walk away from the game, is to go ahead and say I’m going to, and then I’ve got to,†Cox said. “There’s no turning back now—win, lose or draw. hatever happens next year is going to be it.â€

Any guesses on who'll get the MVP and Cy Young awards ?

The NL MVP is easy, that'll be Pujols by a distance. The NL Cy Young is tougher, it could be Lincecum, Carpenter or Wainwright.

I'll take Carpenter.

AL Cy Young - I think it should go to Zach Greinke.

AL MVP - Should be Joe Mauer, but Jeter and Teixeira are possibilities too.

Back
Top Bottom