• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

MLB '09 Thread

Second only to Damon, a-rod is the biggest cunt in baseball.

Yes, I'm biased.

Ps. Although Liverpool clearly is my one main love so I don't care as much, Damon is actually a bigger cunt than Owen.

new record:
MINNEAPOLIS -- Still stewing after being beaten by a couple of bloop hits in the seventh inning of a start that began oh so perfectly, White Sox ace Mark Buehrle sounded nothing like a pitcher that had just delivered a record-setting performance.

"It's just frustrating after a loss," Buehrle said following Chicago's 5-3 loss to the Minnesota Twins on Tuesday night. "It might mean more tomorrow or the next day once I cool off. But I'm not too happy right now."

Coming off the 18th perfect game in major league history, Buehrle retired the first 17 batters to set a record with 45 outs in a row before the Twins rallied for the win.

great trade by phils:

The Philadelphia Phillies and Cleveland Indians agreed to a trade that would bring Cliff Lee to the NL East leaders along with outfielder Ben Francisco for four minor leaguers, according to major league sources.

Triple-A right-hander Carlos Carrasco, Class A righty Jason Knapp, catcher Lou Marson -- the likely heir apparent to Victor Martinez -- and shortstop Jason Donald will be sent to Cleveland.

The trade is pending physical exams.

The Phillies weren't required to give up pitcher J.A. Happ or the three prospects they balked at trading for Roy Halladay -- outfielders Dominic Brown and Michael Taylor, and pitcher Kyle Drabek.

Lee, the 2008 AL Cy Young winner who turns 31 next month, is having another solid season for the Indians, posting a 3.14 ERA while walking just 33 in 152 innings. He will make $8 million in 2010 and then be eligible for free agency.

Yup it is, they haven't given up that much and they've just massively improved their biggest weakness.

Means Halladay is either staying with the Jays or heading to Boston.

LTW - Pete Rose - He got banned for betting on his team when he was a manager didn't he? That's the only thing I can remember about him. So his playing career is untainted isn't it ?

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=32593.msg914524#msg914524 date=1248893814]
Yup it is, they haven't given up that much and they've just massively improved their biggest weakness. [/quote]

Yup, this should really help them ...

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=32593.msg914524#msg914524 date=1248893814]Means Halladay is either staying with the Jays or heading to Boston. [/quote]

Correct answer bolded.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=32593.msg914524#msg914524 date=1248893814]LTW - Pete Rose - He got banned for betting on his team when he was a manager didn't he? That's the only thing I can remember about him. So his playing career is untainted isn't it ? [/quote]

He either claims he never bet on his team, or it's accepted as 'fact'. He did however bet on other teams.

He has the most hits in MLB history (I think over 4,000) ... One of the game's best ... He needs to be in the HoF - he deserves it.

"The Boston Red Sox have offered at least three players, including no-hit pitcher Clay Buchholz(notes), to the Toronto Blue Jays for ace Roy Halladay(notes), according to sources with direct knowledge of the negotiations, while placing rookie reliever Daniel Bard(notes) and 19-year-old phenom Casey Kelly off-limits in any deal.

Contrary to a prior Yahoo! dispatch, another 19-year-old, outfielder Ryan Westmoreland, a Rhode Island product drafted on the fifth round last summer, has not been a part of the Red Sox proposal.

The Blue Jays have been given the choice of reliever Justin Masterson(notes), Triple-A pitcher Michael Bowden(notes), or Double-A first baseman Lars Anderson(notes) as the second player in the deal, with lesser prospects from the Red Sox system filling out the Boston offer. The Red Sox from the beginning have included Buchholz because the Blue Jays had made it clear he would have to be the starting point of any deal."

It's a real pity that the Phillies are out of the equation

Lars Anderson is excellent. I'd rather keep him than get Halladay.

Anderson will be a star when either:

1. Lowell is too old, Youkilis moves to 3rd and Lars moves to 1st.

Ortiz is past it and he plays either 1B or DH.

How much longer is Lowell contracted for ? Can't be past next year can it ? He's got the same hip problem that A-Rod has and he hasn't recovered all that well from the surgery .... fingers crossed for A-Rod.

Youkilis is my favourite Boston player. Don't know anything about Anderson though, is he really worth hanging onto when Halladay could pretty much guarantee you some playoff success ?

Probably not, I'd just rather it was someone else instead! Bard is pretty good too. Don't know anything about this "phenom" Casey Kelly, other than wasn't that the name of the blokein the Ninja Turtles film?

The curse of the babe ... Only 'Roids could help it be broken ... Ortiz and Manny:

David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez were among the more than 100 Major League Baseball players who tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs in 2003, according to a report in The New York Times.

The article posted on the newspaper’s Web site Thursday cited lawyers involved in pending litigation over the testing results who spoke anonymously because the information is under seal by a court order.

Ortiz declined comment to the paper. In 2004, he and Ramirez led the Boston Red Sox to their first World Series championship since 1918.

The results from the 2003 tests were supposed to remain anonymous, but they later were seized by federal agents. Alex Rodriguez(notes) admitted using performance-enhancing drugs after he was linked to the 2003 list.

Ramirez, now with the Los Angeles Dodgers, recently served a 50-game suspension for violating baseball’s drug policy. Ortiz had not been previously linked to positive tests.

Ramirez was a long-established star in 2003. Ortiz, in contrast, had been a part-time player before that season. In 2003, he became one of baseball’s top sluggers.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=32593.msg914629#msg914629 date=1248902950]

Youkilis is my favourite Boston player.
[/quote]

You have a thing with Yids eh? First Shawn Green, than Ryan Braun, now Youkilis ... Who Next? Gabe Kapler?!? 😉

I'm sure there's someone better than Kapler left .....

I just like the way Youkilis handles himself. He's a fairly quiet, tough character who plays the game the right way and worked hard to make himself a great player. I first read about him in Moneyball (and kept an eye on him since) , where the A's had nicknamed him "The Greek God of Walks" because of his patience at the plate, but back then he wasn't the hitter he is now. He's constantly developed over the years to the point where he is now a top notch player.

Hardly a surprise to see Big Papi named. I think in the interest of fairness they need to just name all 104 players that tested positive rather than leak the names selectively.

I'd be willing to bet a few other Boston names will be on that list.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=32593.msg915332#msg915332 date=1248977444]

The curse of the babe ... Only 'Roids could help it be broken

[/quote]

Oh, do sod off, FFS!

'Cos only the Red Sox players were on steroid that season, right? None of the Angels, yankees or Cardinals were..? Bollocks.

I don't doubt for a second that we are / were as dirty as any other team, but that's all... AS dirty, no worse, no better.

During the steroid era, it's probably easier to count those who were not on the juice - The playing field was probably extremely level in that regard.

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=32593.msg915459#msg915459 date=1248988548]

[/quote]

Oh, do sod off, FFS!

'Cos only the Red Sox players were on steroid that season, right? None of the Angels, yankees or Cardinals were..? Bollocks.

I don't doubt for a second that we are / were as dirty as any other team, but that's all... AS dirty, no worse, no better.

During the steroid era, it's probably easier to count those who were not on the juice - The playing field was probably extremely level in that regard.
[/quote]

Considering how critical Ortiz was to that famous run in '03, it's tainted it in everyone's eyes (just like the 'other' stories that came out, be it Bonds or A-Rod).

I'm not sure 'when' this era started, but going by Canseco's claim (80%, but he's now amended it to 90%+), this era should just be forgotten about bar the players that were clean - Maddux, Glavine, Ripkin etc ... It's sad that such a great sport has been stained so badly in the last 20 odd years ...

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=32593.msg915473#msg915473 date=1248989369]
[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=32593.msg915459#msg915459 date=1248988548]

[/quote]

Oh, do sod off, FFS!

[/quote]

Considering how critical Ortiz was to that famous run in '03, it's tainted it in everyone's eyes (just like the 'other' stories that came out, be it Bonds or A-Rod).

I'm not sure 'when' this era started, but going by Canseco's claim (80%, but he's now amended it to 90%+), this era should just be forgotten about bar the players that were clean - Maddux, Glavine, Ripkin etc ... It's sad that such a great sport has been stained so badly in the last 20 odd years ...
[/quote]

Bollocks again, Avy.

It may be tainted in your eyes becuase you don't like Ortiz / the Red Sox, but when we've reached the point when it's universally accepted that approx 90% of the players on EVERY team were juicing, it doesn't taint anything, any more than any other WS Champion, with their own squads, 90% of which were also juicers.

I'm not defending the cheats here - I wish we were clean. But if EVERYBODY'S doing it, how can any one team be less deserving of winning that all the other teams? The opponents of the Sox in 2004 were all juicing too, y'know...

And truth be told, we don't know for certain who was clean, do we? In my mind, there are those who are caught, and those who aren't. Not being caught doesn't mean "innocent".

I have nothing against Ortiz (who I respected before today) or the Sox (Remember, I hate the Yankees with a passion).

I just think you're basically excusing cheating. All these records that were broken so easily (be it McGwire's 70, or Sosa's 66, or Bond's 73) should be erased. This era was an embarrassment to what was in general a 'clean' game (bar the Shoeless Joe Jackson episode)

Take your championships and enjoy them. They, like the ones earned by every other team, were earned by players who were not clean ... That is this past era will probably be known as the 'steroids era' and most of the 'giants of the game' will struggle with the HoF voters (as we're seeing with Big Mac, and we will see with Rafi and others).

(My team was probably the 'King of Juicing' - Sosa, Pudge, Juan Gone, Tettleton, Rafi, Caminiti for a while etc) ... I just hope Rusty Greer never did that shit, I really liked him ...

FACT: Tom Goodwin never did steroids! 😉

Btw, I'm fairly certain Canseco's latest quip (baseball is in trouble and a current HoFer was an active 'roid user) is essentially pointing out Rickey Henderson as a 'Roids user.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=32593.msg915491#msg915491 date=1248990410]
I have nothing against Ortiz (who I respected before today) or the Sox (Remember, I hate the Yankees with a passion).

I just think you're basically excusing cheating. All these records that were broken so easily (be it McGwire's 70, or Sosa's 66, or Bond's 73) should be erased. This era was an embarrassment to what was in general a 'clean' game (bar the Shoeless Joe Jackson episode)

Take your championships and enjoy them. They, like the ones earned by every other team, were earned by players who were not clean ... That is this past era will probably be known as the 'steroids era' and most of the 'giants of the game' will struggle with the HoF voters (as we're seeing with Big Mac, and we will see with Rafi and others).

(My team was probably the 'King of Juicing' - Sosa, Pudge, Juan Gone, Tettleton, Rafi, Caminiti for a while etc) ... I just hope Rusty Greer never did that shit, I really liked him ...

FACT: Tom Goodwin never did steroids! 😉
[/quote]

I'm not excusing cheating, as I said already... It's wrong, and I hate that my guys were doing it too. I always acknowledged that they probably were too, didn't I?

My point is, when one team full of cheats beats another team full of cheats to determine the champion in a league full of other teams that are also full of cheats, I don't think that that team is any more guilty or tainted than all of the other teams that cheated.

Oh, and I wasn't going to mention that steroids were officially invented by the Texas Rangers! 🙂

Didn't A-Rod admit to be drugged up anyway?

And he also blatantly tried to cheat in game 6 or game 7 of the ALCS that year when pushing the ball away. Fuck the cunts.

Go BoSox.

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=32593.msg915494#msg915494 date=1248990724]
I'm not excusing cheating, as I said already... It's wrong, and I hate that my guys were doing it too. I always acknowledged that they probably were too, didn't I?

My point is, when one team full of cheats beats another team full of cheats to determine the champion in a league full of other teams that are also full of cheats, I don't think that that team is any more guilty or tainted than all of the other teams that cheated.

Oh, and I wasn't going to mention that steroids were officially invented by the Texas Rangers! 🙂
[/quote]

But if everyone's cheating, the 'era' (be it championships or records) should be treated like that, 'cheater's records' ...

I'm not sure if the "Rangers invented it" but who knows ...

Sadly my Nationals lost Nick Johnson. How are they going to get back in the pennant race when they let their first-baseman leave?

[quote author=Baldrick link=topic=32593.msg923313#msg923313 date=1250108016]
Sadly my Nationals lost Nick Johnson. How are they going to get back in the pennant race when they let their first-baseman leave?
[/quote]

Haven't they just won eight straight games?

Yes, though they lost last night. Don't really have a proper first base. They are playing Dunn or Willingham there.

Rangers and BoSox are battling it out for the wild card ... It's nice to have that 'hope' again in Arlington ... I doubt we'll do it but hey, it's nice to see so many young kids starting to come through ...

Back
Top Bottom