• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

New midfield balance

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
So like I mentioned during the match thread, Gini at DM and Thiago at #8 might be a good idea. I think this worked better than anything else we’ve tried with Thiago so far - his ability and confidence to receive the ball in tight spaces made our combination play a lot more potent than it was when the roles were reversed. Thiago is a natural ball magnet and when he’s operating in a more advanced areas, he attracts the ball towards more dangerous attacking areas as well. Spurs were parking a proper bus at times with all 11 players sometimes bunched together right in front or inside the penalty area like in that infamous Mourinho’s Barca-Inter game and yet we didn’t have a problem cutting through them when we needed - and I think Thiago’s incision was one of the major reasons why.

All that said, there is still a lot of room for improvement. Thiago’s major weakness is his lack of mobility, which is more exposed by the quicker and more flowing style of play in England - when we lose possession he knows he has to tackle and maybe foul right away or he won’t catch his man again. He needs midfield partners who will cover ground for him, make attacking runs and rush back into defense when the ball is lost, almost like 2 box-to-box players. Milner did a lot of running and that worked well against Spurs, but I want to see Thiago play together with Hendo and Fabinho. (Of course at this point it’s more likely we’ll see those two together at CB, but one can dream...) Hendo and Fabs can be his Goretzka and Kimmich, running and protecting so that he can dominate the game with his passing and everything else in his locker. Thiago is a special player, but it always takes some adjustment to bring a new element into an established midfield and I think in the Spurs game we were finally on the right path.

Thiago has traditionally played as an #8 or a #6 but in our team we clearly need his creativity, control and ability to skip past midfielders, thereby disrupting defensive formations, so #8 is the perfect position for him. When Fabs is back at DM we can then have Hendo, Millie, Keita or Jones next to Thiago, depending on the opposition. That is going to be a superb midfield and TBH I can't wait for next season to come around so that we can have our strongest team out, with most players somewhere around their peak (+0-). Even before any Summer additions I really fancy us for next season's PL & CL.

I suggested in the pre match thread that we do the swap, but it was with Henderson, not knowing how the defensive issues would then pan out.

It's a no brainer:

Henderson and Matip having fitness tests today, both trained yesterday. So fingers crossed:

----------------Allison-------------------
Trent----Matip----Fabinho--Robbo
---------------Henderson--------------
---------Milner----------Thiago--------
--Salah--------Firmino--------Mane-

Flip Henderson and Thiago around, a bit more solidity and protection infront of the back four, Thiago will inevitably roam so free him up a bit. Gini looks dead on his feet, while Milner looks revitalised, so that's the midfield for me. Shaq off the bench when needed.

I suggested in the pre match thread that we do the swap, but it was with Henderson, not knowing how the defensive issues would then pan out.

It's a no brainer:
I had the same team but with Millie and Thiago reversed as I think Milner plays great with Robbo.

Considering Gini is most likely off in the summer who cares about pissing him off by playing in the no6 position,

Keep it as it was today until we get some fit cb’s.

Id expect we will either see Hendo come back onto the CM role and take Milners spot, assuming Fabinho recovers. Or Curtis will play the advanced role and Thiago will drop back. I dont see Milner starting his 3rd game in 7 days, thats just not a good idea.

Yeah, my assumption at the start of the season was that we'd see Fabinho holding with Hendo alongside providing the running power. That was before we got decimated by injuries though.

Milner was great at covering a lot of ground last night but I'm not sure it's fair to rely on him doing that every game so we need to find another solution in midfield if Hendo is going to be spending most of his time at the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom