• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Oh Jota night

Status
Not open for further replies.
[article]
Is it the room for potential that excites you the most and do you sense that he’s relishing that challenge here as well?

He knows it’s a step for him, he knows that. Of course it is. We always talk about these kinds of things; who can improve our team, the team who won pretty much everything last year? A lot of things can improve us, just if you want to come and play 500 games in a row then it could be slightly difficult. He knows it’s a step for him and he can give us things we don’t have – that’s why it’s cool. The space for improvement is not what I like most, but it’s there. He is now already ready to play for us but yes, I’m pretty sure there’s something to come. And the way we play, the way we train and the way we treat people, I think will help him as well. And, of course, being in a team like this is good because [there are] good players around you, make yourself better. That’s how it will be with him as well and what he will do with us.
[/article]

I really think this kind of thinking played a big part in us not signing Werner to be honest.

a9bb4e13825e03ee6da01caee802cefe.jpg

Stacks up really nicely.

He seems really effective at ball progression from the midfield to attack, which shows in his dribble success. Not sure he'll get the same amount of space or counter attack opportunities here. He'll have to get used to operating in tighter areas, but he looks to have all the tools to make a success of it.

Last edited:

I remember in 1994 wanting Brazil to so win that world-cup to get my love of football going again - amazing that one of those winner's son from that Brazil team is now playing for us. Just cannot believe this has happened, and also his dad was involved in that iconic celebration with Romario, and Bebeto - the 3 men and a baby in the game against the Dutch.

I think we signed him because of the payment terms we could struck and he is willing to play second fiddle for our current front 3 for now. Or else I cannot wrap my head around why at £50m we cannot put out for Werner that scores so many more goals and £45m for someone who had only scored slightly more than a handful. All the plaudits given to that fella Edwards, not sure what he's doing here.
I don’t think you’re wrong re the payment terms, that’s definitely a factor. I think the two deals are actually completely different. Werner was £50m plus a massive signing bonus, plus huge weekly wages (that undoubtedly would have had a ripple effect through the squad and a bunch of lads looking for revised terms themselves). By comparison the fee being reported for Jota is clearly a FFP game (in the same way Hoever is never worth 10m) so that suits both clubs. The wages are very reasonable and the player looks like he has excellent stats and the right mentality to fulfil the role we want.

It’s a c.50m deal versus one that was more like 125m all in for Werner

Our top players are all on mega money so I doubt Werner would’ve caused shockwaves.

There was a big financial element, sure, but 3x seems a bit OTT.

As the player has previously talked about wanting to play I wonder whether a guaranteed starting position at Chelsea was always going to swing things in their favor.

Our top players are all on mega money so I doubt Werner would’ve caused shockwaves.

As the player has previously talked about wanting to play I wonder whether a guaranteed starting position at Chelsea was always going to swing things in their favor.
I’d imagine we’d never have agreed to 300K+ per week in the first place, but if we had agreed to wages on par with Chelsea, you don’t think our top earners on less money would have kicked up a fuss?

None of our players are on 270k per week basic wages. None of them. Not even close.

The contract details leaked seem to be:

Werner, 270k per week, 10 mill sign on fee and 12 mill agent fee.
Jota, 90k per week, ? and ?

Leipzig got most of the Werner fee upfront, while Wolves settled for 10% the first year.

The financial details in the two agreements are like night and day.
Can understand why we didnt persue the first.

The contract details leaked seem to be:

Werner, 270k per week, 10 mill sign on fee and 12 mill agent fee.
Jota, 90k per week, ? and ?

Leipzig got most of the Werner fee upfront, while Wolves settled for 10% the first year.

The financial details in the two agreements are like night and day.
Can understand why we didnt persue the first.
Exactly mate. It’s a dramatically different financial profile - both in total amounts, and terms of payment.

Salah has a base salary of 220k per week.
The rest is incentive based from winning the league, goals scored etc.

I understand that there we go for incentive based contracts. If the base is that “low” fair enough.

My assumption was that given that these days our wage bill is reported to be much higher than most clubs our base salaries have to be pretty high when you consider what other clubs are reportedly paying.

I understand that there we go for incentive based contracts. If the base is that “low” fair enough.

My assumption was that given that these days our wage bill is reported to be much higher than most clubs our base salaries have to be pretty high when you consider what other clubs are reportedly paying.
No, the forbes & reported figures include the bonuses for winning shiny things plus all the other incentive bonuses.

If we won fuck all & he didn't score a goal or make an assist then Salah would be back to around 200k.

Salah has earnt that. He joined on a lower wage, scored goals from the off and also LFC I would imagine gives them a huge marketing pull from parts of the world where we may have not had in last 20yrs. He then committed to a long term extension with a 220k base and the rest of 150k is bonus ?
Werner is on 330k presumably because he was year of contract (?) and the market dictates that’s worth it so good luck to him on that but unfortunately not something we would ever likely match.

None of our players are on 270k per week basic wages. None of them. Not even close.
Well no, but the point is we could have wrapped up the deal before Chelsea showed their hand.

He wasn't demanding that level of money with us. Only once Chelsea entered the race is became impossible to compete.

Well no, but the point is we could have wrapped up the deal before Chelsea showed their hand.

He wasn't demanding that level of money with us. Only once Chelsea entered the race is became impossible to compete.

That still doesnt help paying most of the 45 mill upfront or 12 mill agent fees though, compared to the Wolves deal.

Yeah that's true. Plus there was more uncertainty around COVID then. There are clear financial reasons why we didn't sign Werner, but just pointing to his Chelsea wages is a flawed argument. The rumours were he had a deal agreed with us for around 150-170k, which fits in our structure. It was everything else that stopped us triggering the clause.

Part of the problem with the analysis is that current players keep getting all their performance bonuses, so we are being forced to pay more wages that budgeted.

If they would play like crap, then they would start earning those base salaries.

I wonder if there was actually an element of Werner actually deciding in favour of Chelsea. We might have well told him we need to wait until later in the window when the financial picture becomes clearer – don't think it was "no chance we're signing you now, lad" from us. And he weighed that against an offer from Chelsea, on bigger wages, guaranteed place in the team and thought it suits him more.

Don't forget Leipzig also told Werner he had to go. If we were only in a position where they'd accept staggered payments maybe they'd have accepted the bid but Leipzig wanted the full amount. Remember Chelsea laid on the full charm offensive paying more than what we were offering, guaranteed spot playing, pay his agents fee and full transfer fee. Agent Ruddiger also played his part

I wonder if there was actually an element of Werner actually deciding in favour of Chelsea. We might have well told him we need to wait until later in the window when the financial picture becomes clearer – don't think it was "no chance we're signing you now, lad" from us. And he weighed that against an offer from Chelsea, on bigger wages, guaranteed place in the team and thought it suits him more.

I think the Werner release clause was only until June end or something. If we had waited until September, we will have had to pay a higher transfer fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom