• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Our Best ever 'first 11'

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeTallecWiz

Doos
Honorary Member
Only posting this as my son (14) was talking about this yesterday and he put forward his best 1st 11 in our club's history ...

Alli
Trent Carra VVD Robbo

Masch Gerrard

Kenny

Salah Suarez Mane

Not bad for a 14 year old !

Only posting this as my son (14) was talking about this yesterday and he put forward his best 1st 11 in our club's history ...

Alli
Trent Carra VVD Robbo

Masch Gerrard

Kenny

Salah Suarez Mane

Not bad for a 14 year old !

Not bad at all.
I'm actually OK with 9-10 of the players and it's not hard to figure out who.

I don't think I'd be able to place players I never saw, but I imagine the likes of Dalglish, Barnes, Souness, Hansen, Rush should and would make the team for those that saw the lot of them.

For me, I'd have to go for something like...

Alisson

Trent
Van Dijk
Hyypia
Robbo

Alonso
Fabinho

Salah
Gerrard
Mane

Suarez

Not bad at all LTW Jr, you must’ve spent a lot of time talking about and showing him clips of KK.

Based on the last 30 years during the Prem era only then that probably isn't too far off....of course you'd have Alonso in for KK & switch Stevie there and big Sami for Carra.

Mazel tov to Wizzy Junior for a very good attempt.

I'm going 4-3-3 because, despite the fact that the King spent a lot of his time playing others in, he still has to be up front. He did occasionally play deeper and, when he did, he looked merely ordinary. There's a reason why it hardly ever happened.

Clemence (though Alisson may well have overtaken him by the end of his time with us)

Rob Jones
Hansen
Van Dijk
Nicol

Gerrard
Souness (capt.)
Barnes

Salah
Dalglish
Suarez

Hyypia was one of my favs during that period but he doesn't make the cut for me. VVD (at his best) gives you that aerial domination as well as pace.

I'd play Hansen alongside VVD.

That said, looking at some of the forward / attack heavy teams, couldn't help but think of Konate as an ideal defender. Silly to say now as he's been here a minute etc. but on the off chance he can cut out the injuries and deliver on his potential, he could be a very strong candidate for an all time best team.

That said, looking at some of the forward / attack heavy teams, couldn't help but think of Konate as an ideal defender. Silly to say now as he's been here a minute etc. but on the off chance he can cut out the injuries and deliver on his potential, he could be a very strong candidate for an all time best team.

Tough ask but hope you're right Keni. High hopes indeed for for Ibou, but he'll need a strong dancing partner alongside him post Virgil.

If he can quickly start to cut out the rashness in his game and not always look to win the ball back almost in midfield whilst staying injury free then he'll
be a colossus for many years.

So many great players. Too many great players, going right back to the days of Bill Shankly. Almost impossible to name a best-ever XI, even a squad of 25 would mean leaving out a lot of wonderful Liverpool greats.

Perhaps selecting Klopp"s best XI, or Paisley's best or Shankly's, or Houllier's? Perhaps not mention Souness's teams though :)

I'm going 4-3-3 because, despite the fact that the King spent a lot of his time playing others in, he still has to be up front. He did occasionally play deeper and, when he did, he looked merely ordinary. There's a reason why it hardly ever happened.

Clemence (though Alisson may well have overtaken him by the end of his time with us)

Rob Jones
Hansen
Van Dijk
Nicol

Gerrard
Souness (capt.)
Barnes

Salah
Dalglish
Suarez
A like for your number 4

----------------------Ali
Trent----Hyypia ---VVD----Robertson
----------Alonso-----Mascherano
------------------Gerrard
-------Salah ---------------Suarez
--------------------Torres

From the players I've watched.

Torres over Fowler was my biggest quandery, but as a central striker then Torres is simply more equipped, plus there's the magical Gerrard/Torres combo.

. Ali
Lawro Jockey Virgil
Stevie Souness
Kenny Digger
Suarez Rushie

Crazy formation, I know, but I'm not sure it would matter... Not too many teams would get near us, with those players.

Crikey, how old are you?

The days when we only had British/Irish players.
As did most teams in those days. It wasn't until the early to mid 1980s we saw the likes of Avi Cohen, Bruce Grobbelaar, and Jan Molby arriving.

BTW, don't know about beejay but I'm 60 plus, a real old bastard!

As did most teams in those days. It wasn't until the early to mid 1980s we saw the likes of Avi Cohen, Bruce Grobbelaar, and Jan Molby arriving.

BTW, don't know about beejay but I'm 60 plus, a real old bastard!
Good on you my man, hats off to ya.

I'd have loved to been around in the 70s to have seen the likes of Keegan/Toshack/Heighway etc.

Good on you my man, hats off to ya.

I'd have loved to been around in the 70s to have seen the likes of Keegan/Toshack/Heighway etc.
I never saw them play in the flesh, but Bill Shankly built two great teams and Bob Paisley took them even further, until Kenny squeezed out the last drops of greatness before the dire 1990s.

I think it's impossible to compare eras and say this or that player is greater than another. Each played a part at the time, even up to today. Rush and Salah for example, they've both been great strikers for this club, but from different eras and vastly different conditions. That's why I think the best you can really say is Klopp's best XI or Shankly's etc.

Rob Jones
Hansen
Van Dijk
Nicol

Gerrard
Souness (capt.)
Barnes

Salah
Dalglish
Suarez

I like that apart from the FBs (although I could put Nicol anywhere in the back 4) and the keeper.

443 - standard Klopp - I like the balance of this one, but Berger is very controversial and I should probably be taken outside and beaten for not including Kenny….

————— Allison ————
Trent - Hansen - Virgil - Robbo
———— Souness ————-
—-- Gerrard —-- Berger ——
— Salah — Suarez — Barnes

F1u_TtrXsAEt7AV

This might be my favourite football graphic of all time - really shows how elite Alisson is. I think Neuer has a strong argument to be considered the greatest goalkeeper of all time, all things considered, and Alli is the only one among active keepers who comes close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom