• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Our Best ever 'first 11'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mazel tov to Wizzy Junior for a very good attempt.

I'm going 4-3-3 because, despite the fact that the King spent a lot of his time playing others in, he still has to be up front. He did occasionally play deeper and, when he did, he looked merely ordinary. There's a reason why it hardly ever happened.

Clemence (though Alisson may well have overtaken him by the end of his time with us)

Rob Jones
Hansen
Van Dijk
Nicol

Gerrard
Souness (capt.)
Barnes

Salah
Dalglish
Suarez

Rush?

I would put Barnes up front for Salah.

Jones does not have enough to get in here for me.

Totally legit query about Rushie. If I'd been going 4-4-2 he and the King would have been up front, because those two together were the footballing equivalent of peaches and cream. Ultimately though, I'm a big believer in adapting the formation to the players available, not the other way around. That's also why I rejected 4-2-3-1, which would leave the King behind the front line and I've already explained that IMO that doesn't work.

Salah is a latecomer to the All-Time XI but IMO his insane numbers over a prolonged period of time make it impossible to leave him out.

Jones is in there because he is quite simply the best defensive RB we ever had, IMO of course, and I reckon the side needs that with so many attacking players in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom