• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Luton (a) - Sunday 16:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scoring... But has I said it is not a grantee you have played well.
He could have played better for sure but as has been discussed to death, if more often than not you either put the ball in the net or assist someone else in doing it (which Salah does virtually once per game on average) then he’s essentially undroppable and should never be taken off when goals are needed.

When was the last time mo scores from a breakaway?

Like, genuinely. Feels like an eternity since he beat someone for pace

He's not often outpaced even now. IMO it's a combo of (a) him losing just half a yard and (b) opposition teams being better prepared for what he does. He's still a very dangerous player and I'd bet a sizeable sum other teams are relieved if he's not in the line-up.

Reactions: dee
Literally 3 weeks ago vs Everton?
Did he? I don't remember that at all. Was that the one big Nunez did the business and squared to to mo? If so, thats nowhere the same

I'm talking like arsenal in his first season, or the one against United where he shrugged off Dan james. He seemingly took the ball and ran with it a lot more previously. Now when actually running with the ball at pace he seems much more uncomfortable

It's not heresy to criticize performances. And yes, you can still play shite and score

Our setup is still relying on 2019/20 Salah level of pace at times

He's not often outpaced even now. IMO it's a combo of (a) him losing just half a yard and (b) opposition teams being better prepared for what he does. He's still a very dangerous player and I'd bet a sizeable sum other teams are relieved if he's not in the line-up.

Agree the opposition don't want him on the teamsheet. Disagree with him being rarely outpaced. It feels more his acceleration and explosiveness has waned dramatically. I feel bringing in more direct players like Diaz/Nunez/Jota certainly means he's no longer being doubled up on. Might be why I dislike gakpo as the 9. He's set up too deep, and then it's tricky to get the breakaways as mo has lost a yard, meaning it's either Diaz (fine) or Jota (not quick enough) down the other side

Literally 3 weeks ago vs Everton?
The Toulouse game tonight, bringing Salah on made "Mo" difference ;) :D:D
Sorry @Dreambeliever couldn't resist it
I can't believe the drop off in form from Salah. He cut a frustrated figure to night, He must be carrying an injury, he has to be
But they cynic in me wonders if he has dropped his output to force though a move come The January Window, but another part of me says it is not in his nature to do that as he wants to be the best...

Well we have until January the 1st to decide on whether to keep him til the end of the season or sell.
And remember that The AFCON starts on 13 January 2024 ; Date To, 11 February 2024 if he reaches the finals

Either way we have to learn to play with a different front three if we choose to keep him until the summer

It's not heresy to criticize performances. And yes, you can still play shite and score

Our setup is still relying on 2019/20 Salah level of pace at times

You obviously are, come on now…
Mo could score from break away next week like the United game last season and then you would say when did Mo last scors from a Pen. I would focus on other bits of the team that need obvious improvement rather than how he scores, honestly I don’t care as long as he scores.

You obviously are, come on now…
Mo could score from break away next week like the United game last season and then you would say when did Mo last scors from a Pen. I would focus on other bits of the team that need obvious improvement rather than how he scores, honestly I don’t care as long as he scores.

I am obviously what? That line confused me.

I've been limited in my criticisms of mo this year, because he's adapted to a more creator role. My criticisms here aren't "he shite", it's the fact we're still heavily trying the long ball for mo to beat someone for pace over 30 yards. sorry, he can't trap like he used to (Luton game showed that repeatedly), and he's lost his pace. I can get on board with that tactic with diaz (usually great first touch and pace) or Nunez (inconsistent touch, but fucking rapid), but mo has lost the acceleration to do that consistently. Klopps persistence to flip true 9 to false 9 week on week give doesn't help mo. Adding Trent being mostly shite, the midfield being either out of position or a bit to happy to linger with the ball means we can't just play like we were in 2019. We have a different skill set now which is being underutilised

If we're being 100% honest, Diaz hasn't developed into the player many hoped based on his first 6 months here. He's a mercurial player that you rotate. Same with Jota, really good option, but again just an option. Ditto Gakpo, Nunez and the rest of them.

We're missing a player that can hurt teams on a consistent basis.

If we're being 100% honest, Diaz hasn't developed into the player many hoped based on his first 6 months here. He's a mercurial player that you rotate. Same with Jota, really good option, but again just an option. Ditto Gakpo, Nunez and the rest of them.

I think Jota is that player, if we play him in one position consistently. Since his most recent lay off he's come back and been played sometimes on the left, somethings down the middle.

My preferred starting attack would be Salah, Nunez & Jota. Diaz feels like a bigger threat off the bench than others.

Gakpo I am super torn about - he should really only be used down the middle but he is very different to Darwin and that tells. It isn't easy to chop and change them as the whole approach needs to change too.

I think Jota is that player, if we play him in one position consistently. Since his most recent lay off he's come back and been played sometimes on the left, somethings down the middle.

I guess I'm talking more about what we had with Mane and Salah at their best. We lack the sort of player that the opposition is scared of, that can dig us out with a piece of magic when we're struggling, that isn't necessarily constrained by systems and how those around him are performing.

Jota is a good team player and source of goals but he's not that kind of player. He more of a system player.

And it's not just about scoring goals, it helps the team all round. Teams were absolutely petrified of stepping beyond the halfway line because they knew that the slightest slip up would mean Mane or Salah would murder them on the break.

It doesn't need to be a superstar - and it would be less of an issue if the team wasn't in transition right now - but it'd definitely help to have someone with that kind of initimidating aura about them. Salah used to have it but defenders know he needs support now.

Sadio?

I guess I'm talking more about what we had with Mane and Salah at their best. We lack the sort of player that the opposition is scared of, that can dig us out with a piece of magic when we're struggling, that isn't necessarily constrained by systems and how those around him are performing.

Jota is a good team player and source of goals but he's not that kind of player. He more of a system player.

And it's not just about scoring goals, it helps the team all round. Teams were absolutely petrified of stepping beyond the halfway line because they knew that the slightest slip up would mean Mane or Salah would murder them on the break.

It doesn't need to be a superstar - and it would be less of an issue if the team wasn't in transition right now - but it'd definitely help to have someone with that kind of initimidating aura about them. Salah used to have it but defenders know he needs support now.

Yeah - i do get what you mean. I think there have been tons of glimpses of Jota being able to do this, especially as he scores every type of goal and is so wonderfully two footed as Sadio felt to be. However it takes him a long run of games to get into that rhythm - which is why I think starting him more consistently and in the same position could see him become this for us.

We were really spoilt with Salah and Mane weren’t we? Now anybody we sign is automatically expected to live up to those standards.

The number of posts I see saying Diaz is no Mane is nonsensical tbh, really feel for whoever we get to replace Mo.

“Leao is no Mo”, “Bowen is no Mo, “Mbeumo is no Mo” well of course they fucking won’t be.

We were really spoilt with Salah and Mane weren’t we? Now anybody we sign is automatically expected to live up to those standards.

The number of posts I see saying Diaz is no Mane is nonsensical tbh, really feel for whoever we get to replace Mo.

“Leao is no Mo”, “Bowen is no Mo, “Mbeumo is no Mo” well of course they fucking won’t be.

And we were spoilt in the past with other great players we had. It's not about replacing players like for like and succession doesn't always happen as straightforwardedly as we'd like but yeah, we need great players. That's just how it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom