• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre-match thread Man U (H) - 5 March 16:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shithousery from Carra :D

zth9wmfgpdma1.png
See.. I don't like that. I think it's unprofessional, just like his commentary.

If he wants to be a fan.. fine, step back from commentating.. but it just makes us look small time with antics like that.

Just my opinion..

If he wants to be a fan.. fine, step back from commentating.. but it just makes us look small time with antics like that.

Just my opinion..
I think he’s a terrible co-commentator. Nothing him and Neville shouldn’t be covering their own teams as they get more tribal/fanatical rather than providing insight.

Just my opinion..
I think it’s entertaining and well in tune with the shows fan base

NBC have the best coverage. Drury (they may use someone new these days) commentating, Lee Dixon and Graeme le Saux are head and shoulders above Carragher and Neville with Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe in the studio. Sky and BT don’t come close.

Just my opinion..
I agree, in the moment it was kinda funny hearing him laughing in the background but in hindsight, it's quite unprofessional.

Neville can just turn to Carra and say, "remind me, how many league titles have you won?"
And if Carra mentions the CL, he can say, "well I have two".

I agree, in the moment it was kinda funny hearing him laughing in the background but in hindsight, it's quite unprofessional.

Neville can just turn to Carra and say, "remind me, how many league titles have you won?"
And if Carra mentions the CL, he can say, "well I have two".
If I wanted to hear “bantz” during a game I’d go the pub.

I don't really care about it being unprofessional or not. It feels like the whole punditry space has become a bit Soccer AM anyways. You've got Ferdinand doing his thing, Micah Richards knee slapping, Neville doing his man of the people act (whilst buying up half of Manchester with foreign investors) and Carra doing whatever it is he does.

I don't really watch it or engage with it so meh. The only time it affects me is during the game itself and Carra is fucking awful. I wish they'd hold him back for pre/post match stuff.

NBC have the best coverage. Drury (they may use someone new these days) commentating, Lee Dixon and Graeme le Saux are head and shoulders above Carragher and Neville with Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe in the studio. Sky and BT don’t come close.

Still Drury. It pains me when I end up on a Sky stream and am forced to share a game with the dreary tones of Tyler.

Well you can't watch NBC here in the UK (not legally anyway), so....it can fuck itself.

Football is a game and you support teams. It should be fun and a laugh and a joke. Problem is, sky turned it in to a serious business and made everyone a sour faced misery.

NFL stuff coverage is all jokes, and tbh better for it. There's space for analysis and fun

They are counterprogramming YouTube. The shit part of it. The us coverage with Drury is better, bar the analysis. This is what happens when you don't have a good commentary pair.

I tend to just watch the Spanish feed. There's less pontificating and more play by play. The Spanish commentary of Alison's goal remains one of my favorite bits of commentary of the last decade.

If I were a fan of Brighton, Newcastle, Brentford or any of the other 18 teams in the league I'd be sick of hearing these two prattle on about Liverpool and Utd

Or maybe you are turning into a middle aged grumpy old man?
Maybe.. but I absolutely hate the bias drivel that Carragher spouts before, during and after games.

I'm sure most people agree.

Neville isn't as bad.

As momo said.. if I wanted that kind of punditry, I'd go to the pub and chat with my mates.

If I were a fan of Brighton, Newcastle, Brentford or any of the other 18 teams in the league I'd be sick of hearing these two prattle on about Liverpool and Utd

Indeed, but thats the two clubs with the biggest fan base, most clicks and most views. There is a reason they let those two carry on.

They are counterprogramming YouTube. The shit part of it. The us coverage with Drury is better, bar the analysis. This is what happens when you don't have a good commentary pair.

I tend to just watch the Spanish feed. There's less pontificating and more play by play. The Spanish commentary of Alison's goal remains one of my favorite bits of commentary of the last decade.

I love drury. The US is spoiled having him for a majority of their games. He has passion in spades and is someone who just knows the game. When the main commentator is that good, even owen on co-comms couldn't drag it down. Drury and McCoist are a dream pairing.
I don't think i've seen the alisson Spanish commentary

When they're not on their own teams games, they're quite good at analysis. The tribalism takes over. I think a good thing is a lot of people dislike the pair of them, so when ones miserable, the schadenfreude is huge

Why so miserable? Professionalism doesn't mean being humourless. Everyone knows who they played for and the type of on-field relationship they had, so why not continue it? The fact that they have become friends reinforces the validity of the ribbing. It's what friends do to each other. To call it unprofessional etc. is so holier than thou bullshit. Take it for what it is - it's childish, but then what's so fucking grown up about football?

One of the main reasons I watch football is to hold on to my childish sense of wonder.

Carragher likes to make jokes all the time because it's in his blood. He isn't funny though.

I'd love it if he were.

Why so miserable? Professionalism doesn't mean being humourless. Everyone knows who they played for and the type of on-field relationship they had, so why not continue it? The fact that they have become friends reinforces the validity of the ribbing. It's what friends do to each other. To call it unprofessional etc. is so holier than thou bullshit. Take it for what it is - it's childish, but then what's so fucking grown up about football?

One of the main reasons I watch football is to hold on to my childish sense of wonder.
Yup agree with all of this. I laughed lots. Bloody Nora's Gash there are some right humourless tarts on here sometmes.

Yup agree with all of this. I laughed lots. Bloody Nora's Gash there are some right humourless tarts on here sometmes.

Because it's cringeworthy that's why.

Just my opinion, however Carragher shouldn't be allowed to commentate on our games, just like Neville shouldn't be allowed to commentate on Utds.

I have no problem if they were pundits, like they were at the end of the game. But during the game, I just don't like it. It's not being miserable at all.

I don't like a 2 yard tap in being called "absolutely fantastic, world class" etc. Just like I don't like Tylers monotone slit your wrists depression commentary.

Drury and McCoist probably are the best pairing for me too.

Just my opinion, however Carragher shouldn't be allowed to commentate on our games, just like Neville shouldn't be allowed to commentate on Utds.

I have no problem if they were pundits, like they were at the end of the game. But during the game, I just don't like it. It's not being miserable at all.

I don't like a 2 yard tap in being called "absolutely fantastic, world class" etc. Just like I don't like Tylers monotone slit your wrists depression commentary.

It depends on the game. If carragher was creaming himself over a 3rd goal in a 3-0 over Bournemouth, i'd agree. Him pissing himself like a banshee at the 7th against united, knowing he's sitting next to gary neville i just adore. I've no doubt they both play up to it as well, as sky knows it gets the clicks. But i love it. Same way i loved after the match souness goading neville over something he said off air. It's fucking great television

Why on earth would you say it's 'cringeworthy'? - That is subjective to say the least. 'cringeworthy' to you or others maybe.... I get that. I don't agree of course. It's not a trueism though is it? It's harmless, funny (subjectively) but hardly something to even bother about. I laughed and I'm cool about it.

Agree massively about Drury though. He's ace. :)

EDIT - Actually @The Nomad - I'll take that back a little - You did say 'in my opinion' which is fair enough. ;) I don't want to tar you with the 'misery arse brush'. I'll save that for my next meeting at the Guild Of Shrinking Curly Whirlys I'm attending next week. :) x L

Last edited:
I must be the only one who doesn't like Drury. I think he's fucking cringe worthy.

He reminds of those original Alan Partridge bits on The Day Today.

Not only that, but I like Tyler. He's about 80 now so yeah he's not exactly excitable anymore, but I'd rather that than Drury's embarrassing purple prose.

Drury is too rehearsed with his outros and reactions, so it seems affected sometimes, but his play by play is better, which is a lost art.

That's deffo true. It's obvious but at least he's trying. His in play stuff is better than most anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom