• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

Rugby League vs Union

Modo

A contentious scando
Just found out that there's two different types of Rugby in England.
I've always thought that it was Rugby vs NFL.

My question is, has there ever been a player that switched between the two?
And who is the most successful one?

Off the top of my head;

NZ

Brad Thorn RL to RU to RL to RU
Frano Botica RU to RL
Vaiga Tuigamala RU to RL to RU
Craig Innes RU to RL
John Gallagher RU to RL
Lesley Vainiklo RL to RU
Sonny Bill Williams RL to RU

AUS

Michael O'Connor RU to RL
Ray Price RU to RL
Lote Tuquiri RL to RU to RL
Ricky Stuart RU to RL
Wendell Sailor RL to RU to RL
Matt Rogers RL to RU to RL

UK

Jonathan Davies RU to RL to RU
Alan Tait RU to RL to RU
John Devereux RU to RL
Martin Offiah RU to RL to RU
Paul Moriarty RU to RL
Scott Quinnell RU to RL
Allan Bateman RU to RL
Jason Robinson RL to RU
Gareth Thomas RU to RL
John Bentley RU to RL to RU
Scott Gibbs RU to RL
Iestyn Harris RL to RU to RL
Henry Paul RL to RU
Shontayne Hape RL to RU

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=43729.msg1257561#msg1257561 date=1295496103]
Karmichael Hunt
Mark Gasnier
[/quote]

True. Both RL to RU. Not RU Internationals tho.

Fella called Luke Rooney as well, moved from RL in Aus to RU in France, has just signed for the Rebels.

The 'Schoolboy' ones are a bit tenuous, like Wally Lewis & Rocky Elsom. Lots of kids play both forms of the game at junior level before picking one to stick with, its not really converting.
Tim Horan was another example of that, I saw him playing Junior RL in England.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=43729.msg1257568#msg1257568 date=1295499491]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_players_who_have_converted_from_one_football_code_to_another#Rugby_union_to_rugby_league
[/quote]

The best example will be Sonny Bill Williams (SBW); he's switched from RL to RU for NZ and been an international in both.

I thought Michael O'Connor was probably the best exponent of it though Dally Messenger switched from RU to RL way back in the day and was, apparently, one of the all time greats. His signing was probably the reason that RL was able to take off so successfully in Australia.

SBW, however, is killing it in the Super Rugby at the moment and people are already talking about whether NZ will have to break their own rules because of their desperation to accomodate him. He's an awsome talent even if he's got no idea about how to stand beside your team mates when the going gets tough.

[quote author=Wizardry link=topic=43729.msg1309598#msg1309598 date=1301805768]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_players_who_have_converted_from_one_football_code_to_another#Rugby_union_to_rugby_league
[/quote]

The best example will be Sonny Bill Williams (SBW); he's switched from RL to RU for NZ and been an international in both.

I thought Michael O'Connor was probably the best exponent of it though Dally Messenger switched from RU to RL way back in the day and was, apparently, one of the all time greats. His signing was probably the reason that RL was able to take off so successfully in Australia.

SBW, however, is killing it in the Super Rugby at the moment and people are already talking about whether NZ will have to break their own rules because of their desperation to accomodate him. He's an awsome talent even if he's got no idea about how to stand beside your team mates when the going gets tough.
[/quote]

What do you mean Wiz?

If the NZRU could convince Benji Marshall, currently the best NZer in either code, to convert, they'd walk they next WC. They won't though. I still fancy them tho, they have much better players than the last few tournaments. Carter is superb, SBW is better, they won't choke next time.

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=43729.msg1309645#msg1309645 date=1301825818]
[quote author=Wizardry link=topic=43729.msg1309598#msg1309598 date=1301805768]
[/quote]

[/quote]

What do you mean Wiz?
[/quote]

NZ have two very good centres as it is and they are the incumbents in a successful test team. While not written in stone the practice is that NZ won't discard either centre and SBW would be named as part of the squad but not be part of the test team. But most people are predicting that his form has been so good the selectors will be forced to change this practice and bring him straight into the team which is unheard of over there.

Ah ok cheers.

He looked very good when he played for the Kiwi's over here, i'd suspect that he'll be a dead cert to start come WC time.

Hows his boxing going, didn't he have a fight recently?

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=43729.msg1309719#msg1309719 date=1301838639]
Ah ok cheers.

He looked very good when he played for the Kiwi's over here, i'd suspect that he'll be a dead cert to start come WC time.

Hows his boxing going, didn't he have a fight recently?
[/quote]

Yeah, at least this guy actually knew his way around the ring but still no match for him. He's certainly got some work to do on his ring craft if he wants to be successful there but I reckon seeing him stripped to his shorts would be enough to intimidate the majority of opponents.

Barring injury you're right - he'll be there at the WC.

Back
Top Bottom