• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Salah’s future

Would you sell Salah next season?

• Total voters
Signed a new contract 6 months ago so it's hard to see him leaving unless someone offers silly money for him, not really up our ally.

Bakayoko is the one to lean towards, having a brilliant season for a side having a brilliant season. £40m buy out in the summer, no brainer for me.
13 goals in the Eredivisie (and zero in Europe) isn't what I'd call a brilliant season, and that at the league winners) ! In that division I'd want at least 30 !

I would have thought Slot would have final say on any incomings and outgoings surely. Otherwise you'll have conflict already.

Edwards is going to have final say. He’s our new manager.

Slot is just the coach

13 goals in the Eredivisie (and zero in Europe) isn't what I'd call a brilliant season, and that at the league winners) ! In that division I'd want at least 30 !
1 goal 5 assists in the CL is ok for a 20 year old. At the same age Saka had 2 goals and 5 assists in Europe......and that was the Europa league.

What 20 year olds wingers do you know are getting 30 goals in any league? Not everyone is Mbappe Froggy.

Edwards is going to have final say. He’s our new manager.

Slot is just the coach
i thought the whole purpose is to go back to our original setup where he says the types of players he's looking for and they find it and then he chooses from that list who he wants. I don't want us being like chelsea and having players just dumped on the coach/manager/whateveryouwantto callhim. That's just plain dumb.

It's tough with Salah, because statistically he's still up there with top strikers, his own stats have tailed off a bit, but they are still outstanding. The main issue is he now plays like a luxury striker who offers nothing else. He doesn't provide protection on the right and his abilities as an orthodox winger, in taking players on, is practically non-existent these days. In terms of teamwork and fitting our ethos and style of recent years, he's a big headache.

I'll be sad to see him go, I think financially it makes sense because of his contact length and it being the last opportunity to still get a relatively big fee for him, while the Saudi's and co are willing to pay daft money. But that said, it's not easy to replace 20 goals a season. Especially when our other four attackers are so unreliable (for various reasons).

i thought the whole purpose is to go back to our original setup where he says the types of players he's looking for and they find it and then he chooses from that list who he wants. I don't want us being like chelsea and having players just dumped on the coach/manager/whateveryouwantto callhim. That's just plain dumb.

Yes, that is what it is.

No decent manager is going to just accept someone else choosing the squad and being left to deal with it.

1 goal 5 assists in the CL is ok for a 20 year old. At the same age Saka had 2 goals and 5 assists in Europe......and that was the Europa league.

What 20 year olds wingers do you know are getting 30 goals in any league? Not everyone is Mbappe Froggy.
Give me Olisse any day mate. Not an Eredivisie gamble but a solid 22 year old in the PL.

Absolutely this.

I can't get the Salah apologists quoting historical data. What relevance does that have to next season? None.

He's 32 years old in a couple of months.
Has clearly been in decline (and who is to say more injuries, with increasing age, won't be become de riquer for him, this season could be the new norm)
Has only scored 17 goals (12 without penalties, who anyone can take) in the PL this season.
There will be a total change in the Summer : manager, tactics and for Mo. surely more benchtime from a manager without the same emotional connection.

Compare that to say Olise at 22 years old.

In a revamped team I'd rather we look to the future and players who can give us another 3-4 years in the first team than someone who can't and would likely be on the bench, after next season, more often than not, and would likely leave on a free the season after (losing us the money to buy someone like Olise on an effective free at £60-70m).

Replacing Salah (who is fit for about 97% of the time) with Olise (whose been fit for 1/3 of the season) is the type of stupid shit I hope we dont do in all honesty.

Yes, that is what it is.

No decent manager is going to just accept someone else choosing the squad and being left to deal with it.
It's so complex though. The drawback with bringing in a relatively small name coach is the danger that the big names won't come to us and the existing big names at the club won't respond to him.

I'm sure in terms of data and everything else, we've gone for a manager who's style of play and preferred type of player fits the data profiling we already have in place. That makes the upmost sense. So then, as Lech said, it would make sense that the manager has input in terms of the type of players he needs and for Edwards and co to then find players who fit that profile.

Replacing Salah (who is fit for about 97% of the time) with Olise (whose been fit for 1/3 of the season) is the type of stupid shit I hope we dont do in all honesty.
As I said - this could be the new norm for a 32 year old (40 days and 10 matches).

And for Olise I have already given his injury stats for previous seasons (this one wasn't good of course but isn't representative) : 37/38 games last season at 21 yrs old, 30 involvements the season before when 20 years old.

Give me Olisse any day mate. Not an Eredivisie gamble but a solid 22 year old in the PL.
Olise is an injury crock and he comes across as a bit of a cocky prick.

Palace value him at £60m, he's probably just about worth half of that.

As I said - this could be the new norm for a 32 year old.

And for Olise I have already given his injury stats for previous seasons (this one wasn't good of course but isn't representative) : 37/38 games last season at 21 yrs old, 30 involvements the season before when 20 years old.
That does't really tell us anything though. He's had two full seasons, one where he was fit for most of it and one where he was injured for a lot of it. It's 50/50 really whether he is injury prone or not. I'd say that after playing a full season and then hitting injuries, it could be that a season of top level football took it's toll and the second season is more likely to be the norm. Who knows though. We need to stop taking punts on players who have a bit of leverage on their fees because of dubious injury records, cf Konate and Thiago.

Olise is an injury crock and he comes across as a bit of a cocky prick.

Palace value him at £60m, he's probably just about worth half of that.
37/38 games last season at 21 yrs old, 30 involvements the season before when 20 years old.

That does't really tell us anything though. He's had two full seasons, one where he was fit for most of it and one where he was injured for a lot of it. It's 50/50 really whether he is injury prone or not. I'd say that after playing a full season and then hitting injuries, it could be that a season of top level football took it's toll and the second season is more likely to be the norm. Who knows though. We need to stop taking punts on players who have a bit of leverage on their fees because of dubious injury records, cf Konate and Thiago.
It's difficult to be certain with any player (and we've taken more than few chances with the likes of Oxlade-Chamberlain, Hendo, Matip, Keita, Konate and Thiago etc) but I can't see one injury hit season putting us off someone who fits the bill (and Olise's isn't horrendous, he only missed 3 matches in his first 2 seasons and zero last season).

I like olise and eze. I think both could kick on tremendously surrounded by better players.

As I said - this could be the new norm for a 32 year old (40 days and 10 matches).

Olise has had a reccuring hamstring injury for 6 months now. Its a massive gamble at this stage.

We lost so much when Milner left in terms of professionalism and work ethic around the club.

I want Salah here until he gets as injured as some fear. He’s such an inspirational player for others coming through, nevermind the his numbers are still off the charts in terms of everyone elses.

We lost so much when Milner left in terms of professionalism and work ethic around the club.

I want Salah here until he gets as injured as some fear. He’s such an inspirational player for others coming through, nevermind the his numbers are still off the charts in terms of everyone elses.
Problem is if we don't sell him now we lose him for nothing next season. Doesn't make good business, especially as he has started to decline. Slot will need money to bring in players.

Its weird, but i'd take a milner over 5 salahs

Milner always did what he was asked, always excelled, never complained, always worked hard and showed true grit and determinaiton. he's the personification of professionalism. He was a role model for younger players. not the star of the team, but made himself invaluable on and off the pitch.

Salah, for as brilliant as he is, does give the impression that he wants the focus more and dragged us at times to winning games. An admirable trait, but its the same how i preferred hendo as captain over gerrard.

Let’s see what bids come in and whether Salah (or more likely his agent) starts stirring things up.

You’ll know in the last home game where it’s all heading.

Let’s see what bids come in and whether Salah (or more likely his agent) starts stirring things up.

You’ll know in the last home game where it’s all heading.

All heading and no kicking? Maybe Nunez will score.

We’ll be very active in the transfer market imho

Depends what you mean by very active.

We might start to bring in more youngsters - I still think it’ll be 2-3 first teamers.

Might be more going out that coming in (mostly youngsters).

Back
Top Bottom