• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Salah’s future

Would you sell Salah next season?

• Total voters
Depends what you mean by very active.

We might start to bring in more youngsters - I still think it’ll be 2-3 first teamers.

Might be more going out that coming in (mostly youngsters).

I think its unrealistic to believe that Edwards would come back if we didnt have money to spend. There will be a huge transfer kitty imho.

Liverpool fully expect Mohamed Salah to stay this summer

By David Ornstein

Liverpool fully expect Mohamed Salah to stay this summer and are planning on the basis of him being part of their squad for next season.

The 31-year-old attacker is approaching the final 12 months of his contract and there has been increased speculation that he will leave.

But Salah has given no indication of wanting to exit, which marries with Liverpool’s desire, and it is anticipated he will remain at Anfield.

The Egypt international has continued to be linked with a move to Saudi Arabia after Al Ittihad’s pursuit last summer, but the view in the Saudi Pro League (SPL) hierarchy is that Salah wishes to spend another campaign with Liverpool.

While their interest has not gone away, it is less aggressive than it was when the SPL was investing heavily in new signings last summer and Al Ittihad were targeting Salah to help spearhead their Club World Cup campaign.

If the forward does not extend his Liverpool terms or commit elsewhere, the SPL might prefer to focus on Salah in 2025 when he will be 33 and there would be no transfer fee.

His situation will be inherited by incoming sporting director Richard Hughes — along with the futures of captain Virgil van Dijk and his deputy Trent Alexander Arnold, whose deals expire at the same time as Salah’s.

These are among the matters to be addressed once the appointment of Arne Slot as manager Jurgen Klopp’s successor is finalised.

Klopp appeared to have a heated exchange with Salah when he was waiting to be introduced as a second-half substitute in Saturday’s draw at West Ham United.

However, there has been no suggestion of internal concern about the incident and even if there was an issue between them it is fairly irrelevant given Klopp’s impending departure.

Salah has excelled once more in 2023-24, accumulating 29 goals in 49 appearances for club and country across all competitions.

Its weird, but i'd take a milner over 5 salahs

Milner always did what he was asked, always excelled, never complained, always worked hard and showed true grit and determinaiton. he's the personification of professionalism. He was a role model for younger players. not the star of the team, but made himself invaluable on and off the pitch.

Salah, for as brilliant as he is, does give the impression that he wants the focus more and dragged us at times to winning games. An admirable trait, but its the same how i preferred hendo as captain over gerrard.
Difference is, Milner was probably grateful in the last 2 seasons with us for his role with us. He was in mid 30s, not able to start or be relied upon. When he came on, he didn't do a great deal apart from give the odd free kick away, the expectations were different from us on the field.
Not really apples with oranges is it?. Salah is more selfish but it's obvious he is liked by the players and is a good influence by example, look at how Elliot sees him...

Look…. I know the site is largely behind selling Salah but I’m still not convinced it’s the right thing to do.

For 2 reasons :

1. Slot’s system is set up to get the most out of Salah, so if he stays, I think we’ll see another good return in terms of goals and assists (and no AFCON).

We’ve held on to legends and let them play out their time and leave on a free or for a minimal fee or retire a lot - Barnes, Rush, Hyppia, Gerrard, Carragher, etc

2. I think fixing the Number 9 position is the priority - and it’s not Nunez. That’s doesn’t mean I want him sold.

Slot is going to want someone more technically adept than Nunez, who can drop deep and operate in that false 9 type position. That’s just not playing to Nunez strengths. We saw it last year, when Gakpo became the preferred option. We tweaked our system to suit Nunez this season and it worked, but only to an extent.

I think that experiment has ended and Slot will shift him back out to the left.

That means, more space for Salah to run in to from wide areas - which is why I think he’ll stay and Slot will want him to stay.

It’ll give Slot goals and breathing space for a new Number 9 to get to grips - whether we spend big on Gyokeres, twist on Gakpo, gamble on someone like Zirkzee (never heard of him until a few days ago) or even really gamble and gives Danns a chance (too much at stake… but fortune favours the brave) or we go with Jota and risk a lot on his fitness (fortune’s fool)!!!

So, for me, keeping that outlet of Salah goals for a season while we sort out the centre kind of makes sense.

Getting 2 new forwards in for centre & right… when left isn’t exactly settled, just feels like a fucking minefield - and I’d be inclined to keep the one that’s likely to deliver the things that matter - GOALS!!!

I think its unrealistic to believe that Edwards would come back if we didnt have money to spend. There will be a huge transfer kitty imho.

Yeah, but he’s not back to just spend money on Liverpool transfers and he’s not back because he’s been promised a Boehly styled trolly dash.

That budget could be spend on one forward - without even thinking about a Salah replacement.

Liverpool are bracing themselves for bids of up to £150m from clubs in Saudi Arabia for 31-year-old Egypt forward Mohamed Salah. (Football Insider)

braced to bite hands off
Read that somewhere... i almost choked laughing. Last season maybe, but now :sneaky:

Problem is if we don't sell him now we lose him for nothing next season. Doesn't make good business, especially as he has started to decline. Slot will need money to bring in players.
I’d give him an extension. Salah will be playing til he’s 36/37.

Its weird, but i'd take a milner over 5 salahs

Milner always did what he was asked, always excelled, never complained, always worked hard and showed true grit and determinaiton. he's the personification of professionalism. He was a role model for younger players. not the star of the team, but made himself invaluable on and off the pitch.

Salah, for as brilliant as he is, does give the impression that he wants the focus more and dragged us at times to winning games. An admirable trait, but its the same how i preferred hendo as captain over gerrard.
Listen to Elliott talk about Salah this season and tell me Salah isn’t invaluable.

As said multiple times. Salah doesnt get the respect he deserves. Always fit and always wants to win. Integral part of the leadership group and team.
The created narrative that he’s a free rider that doesnt contribute is a bullshit one.

That «spat» with Klopp is a nothing story, but when its Salah its disgraceful and he should be sold.
He’s not the first or the last to argue with his manager.

I’m still leaning toward selling if we could get in a top class player. But its a lot of if’s and but’s.

I’d be interested to see what Arne is cooking for him first as well.

I expect us to be active in the transfer market this summer:

Firstly, there should be money available to spend, certainly more than this year, because:
1. We have Champions League next year (and a guarantee of 8 games v 6 previously)
2. We will have finished paying for the Annie Road
3. Annie Road should be generating more cash than this season once hospitality is completed and it is at full capacity for the whole season
4. As our spending in recent years has been relatively low, we shouldn't have too much cash-flow strain paying remaining instalments on historic deals (at 31 May 2023, we owed a net £46m, of which approx. half to two-thirds should be payable this coming year).

Secondly, as stated above, Edwards coming in plus a new manager will inevitably prompt some changes in personnel to suit the new system.

Thirdly, we need to refresh in various areas due to ageing players, plus the likes of Matip, Thiago, Adrian leaving on frees (the first team might still be performing at a better level had Matip and Thiago played more / some minutes this season, or had we continued to use more of the kids to ease injured players back in).

But don't be surprised to see some of that money spent on new contracts rather than new players (VvD and Trent the most obvious).

Fourthly, the Salah conundrum. Not going to re-hash the discussions in this thread, but if he goes, we will need to replace him, and if he stays we will need to budget for either a contract extension or jumping on the right player to replace him if that player becomes available (e.g. like how we brought Diaz in a window earlier than planned). Personally, I think if he doesn't agreed a new deal by the end of July (assuming that is our plan) then we should move heaven and earth to move him on and replace him this summer.

So we need to learn lessons from past windows / current squad composition:

1. If a player (and I'm thinking Salah, but it could apply to others) is intent on running his contract down, then we need to get value for him now.
2. Don't buy anyone with a poor injury record. As good as the likes of Ibou or Jota are, they've worth sod all when in the treatment room.
3. Take care throwing big money contracts at players who are getting on (I'm mainly thinking VvD and Robbo here, Alisson still has plenty in the tank).
4. Listen to serious offers for ageing / injury-prone players.
5. If we can't / don't move all the crocks on, then we need to make sure we have decent cover for when they are injured.
6. We need a pathway for promising young players to get decent playing time - I'd say Quansah and Bradley should be part of the first team squad on a regular basis, but some of the other kids (Danns, Clark, McConnell) need decent loan options. And we need to take a decision on Carvalho - if he's not part of Arne's plans for next season then we should sell.

And we are now in a new era for PSR / FFP. The new UEFA rules aren't going to bite next year as the target measure is still high, but we're going to need to manage wage / amortisation costs going forward. The new rules give you 1/3 of the benefit of profits on selling players each year for 3 years from the sale. A sale of Salah, which will be pretty much pure profit, could give us decent breathing space for a few years. And we're going to need to get in the habit of selling players on a regular basis. Finally, because those rules work on calendar years, and not seasons, sales in January won't yield any benefit until the following year. That will put clubs under pressure to sell in summer windows, which could be to our advantage (e.g. we got a good deal on Salah all those years ago as Roma had to sell to meet FFP). We should be looking to pick off talent from clubs in financial distress.

For me, if he really wants to stay, don't sell.

If we don't get anything above 60m don't sell. Simple.

Mohamed Salah is expected to remain at Liverpool with Michael Edwards a huge advocate of the player. Richard Hughes will open contract talks with Salah over a new deal before it expires in 2025. @_pauljoyce

who doesn't have the legs anymore? Salah of old, Mane and Bobby could press their opponents but 2 of the have gone and Salah's pace is no longer there and cannot press as well.
Diaz and Jota press well but not to the standards of a Mane of a younger Salah.

We need pace from the wide areas, Trent and Robbo cant do it anymore. One is doing a great impression of Jan Molby and the other is not too far away from collecting his pension.

We really really want him, we really do. We would have to receive an eye watering offer to sell and even then, well, ok then.

That's what I'm hoping this idiocy is.

Mohamed Salah is expected to remain at Liverpool with Michael Edwards a huge advocate of the player. Richard Hughes will open contract talks with Salah over a new deal before it expires in 2025. @_pauljoyce
I’ll translate this one too. Liverpool will offer Salah a new contract so he can be sold in 2025 rather than wheelchair walk away on a free.

I hope not, was told Edwards would sell and above all regardless how good/shit he is now, this place will be unbearable regardless of how he does if he stays…

As said multiple times. Salah doesnt get the respect he deserves. Always fit and always wants to win. Integral part of the leadership group and team.
The created narrative that he’s a free rider that doesnt contribute is a bullshit one.

That «spat» with Klopp is a nothing story, but when its Salah its disgraceful and he should be sold.
He’s not the first or the last to argue with his manager.

I’m still leaning toward selling if we could get in a top class player. But its a lot of if’s and but’s.

I’d be interested to see what Arne is cooking for him first as well.
An age regression potion ?

So it increasingly looks like Diaz will be the one attacker we sell this summer. And maybe Nunez will shift to the left if a new #9 comes in.

Happy with that?

So it increasingly looks like Diaz will be the one attacker we sell this summer. And maybe Nunez will shift to the left if a new #9 comes in.

Happy with that?
Only because this is his highest value. He’s exciting but never going to look a composed finisher. It’s the same with the Salah situation. We can use those funds to buy a couple of players. Soz to be a boring accountant about it but I feel it is for the greater good and will help us win more shiny things.

Diaz wants to go right? or his Dad wants him to go Barca anyway. I think it would make sense we get someone more productive on the left, we can do better and at this stage, we shouldn't holding onto anyone who isn't committed to stay.

All i've read is how Diaz is fucking perfection for slot; so i don't even know if it will be him

Might be ol' donkey on the scrapheap

or we sell none of the forwards, and kslot tries his best to turn nunez from "donkey" to "key"

he will fail, mind

Back
Top Bottom