• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Salah’s future

Would you sell Salah next season?

• Total voters
He was too loyal for his own good. You need to be ruthless to stay at the top.
precisely

look at city. it's a constant state of progression every year. i know we don't have that money, but it's doable if you're proactive. Laporte? Phenomenal season, gone a year later. Cancelo was incredible, gone a year later. Ferran torres was impressing when he played, gone.

We linger and put too much stock in players. If we were city nunez would be gone this summer, salah would be gone, diaz might scrape by, jota would be gone.

I know it's easy to compare to city, but it's what united used to do as well. They kept a soli dcore, and would slowly bring in and then sell players. Same with chelsea. its what you need to do not to be a leicester

He’s 31, not 87.
He’s 32 in June. And 1 month off 33 by the end of next season. And a forward not a CB. Aside from the GOAT and Ronaldo which other top forward (and I mean top) can you name at a top club at 32-33 ?

Last edited:

Shameless reference that needs to be read again.

He’s 31, not 87.
He’s 32 in June. And 1 month off 33 by the end of next season. And a forward not a CB. Aside from the GOAT and Ronaldo which other top forward (and I mean top) can you name at a top club at 32-33 ?

wtf are you talking about? Gerrard was, Rush was. Milner wasn’t a pro not one the biggest stars in the world. Owen and Torres and Suarez jumped ship and none were anywhere as success as Salah here.
When they left dimwit. No one is indispensable that really should be obvious. And Salah is 33 in June next year, no one will want him and we’ll have lost the payday we need to buy his replacement. For what? One extra year of mediocrity?

Lewandowski is 35.

I know Salah has been appalling since his injury, but before that he was looking very good.

I think Afcon fucked him up.

If he stays, we must simply sell Nunez and Diaz, and replace them with finishers, as Salah should no longer be our main goalscorer. He should be transitioning to the chief creator stage of his career right now. And others need to step up and be those deadly finishers.

Nunez ain't it. Diaz is a good squad player to have. But if a good bid comes in, sell. And try again with someone younger.

I mean Drogba, Kane, C. Ronaldo, Messi, Ibra, Lewandowski, Suarez, Benzema, Del Piero etc etc had multiple fine seasons past 30. If you want to talk about players “who relied on their pace,” not every 30 year old loses it - it depends on training and genetics. Someone like Defoe was still pretty rapid at 35.

And? How’s he doing? A player who never relied on pace. Keep going. Is that all you’ve got?

He has 20 goals this season and over 30 goals last season. I think you give Salah way to little credit if you think his game is only pace.

I know Salah has been appalling since his injury, but before that he was looking very good.

I think Afcon fucked him up.

If he stays, we must simply sell Nunez and Diaz, and replace them with finishers, as Salah should no longer be our main goalscorer. He should be transitioning to the chief creator stage of his career right now. And others need to step up and be those deadly finishers.

Nunez ain't it. Diaz is a good squad player to have. But if a good bid comes in, sell. And try again with someone younger.
And he needs to really think about his future with Egypt, it's not going to help him prolong his playing career unless he's playing in Saudi.I know there is no Afcon next year but still..

I mean Drogba, Kane, C. Ronaldo, Ibra, Lewandowski, Suarez, Benzema, Del Piero etc etc had multiple fine seasons past 30. If you want to talk about players “who relied on their pace,” not every 30 year old loses it - it depends on training and genetics. Someone like Defoe was still pretty rapid at 35.

No no, dont talk sense.

You are making a series of strawman arguments.

Nobody ever said that Salah wasn't involved or creating anything as refers to any significant length of time.

Nobody ever said that salahs game is "only pace."

If you want to argue with the statements actually made, go ahead.

You are making a series of strawman arguments.

Nobody ever said that Salah wasn't involved or creating anything as refers to any significant length of time.

Nobody ever said that salahs game is "only pace."

If you want to argue with the statements actually made, go ahead.

Okay.

I mean Drogba, Kane, C. Ronaldo, Messi, Ibra, Lewandowski, Suarez, Benzema, Del Piero etc etc had multiple fine seasons past 30. If you want to talk about players “who relied on their pace,” not every 30 year old loses it - it depends on training and genetics. Someone like Defoe was still pretty rapid at 35.
@Frogfish Care to comment please?

& if you won't put some respect on Danny Welbeck's name then maybe you will for Jamie Vardy!!

He has 20 goals this season and over 30 goals last season. I think you give Salah way to little credit if you think his game is only pace.
Deduct the penalties (where Mo has just under the average success rate) and this season has not been good.
If you use the patented 6CM eye test the decline is obvious.
And that’s where age comes into it because it’s highly unlikely he’ll suddenly have an Indian Summer.

I was always pro Mo - until this season. You have to be deliberately avoiding the issue to deny it.

@Frogfish Care to comment please?

& if you won't put some respect on Danny Welbeck's name then maybe you will for Jamie Vardy!!
Haha. With regard to those listed - how many have a game similar to Salah’s? None I believe the answer to be.
Let’s also not be silly and list Messi and Ronaldo, Two Goats. Or claim Defoe hasn’t lost speed.

But here’s the thing : he’s not just lost his pace but his shooting has lost power and accuracy too and his pressing and defensive actions look to have declined as well. Maybe @King Binny has stats that can confirm or counter this.

Deduct the penalties (where Mo has just under the average success rate) and this season has not been good.
If you use the patented 6CM eye test the decline is obvious.
And that’s where age comes into it because it’s highly unlikely he’ll suddenly have an Indian Summer.

I was always pro Mo - until this season. You have to be deliberately avoiding the issue to deny it.

41 games, 24 goals and 13 assists. Only three players with more goal involvements than him in the PL and only six players with more GI in the top 5 leagues.

Only Bruno Fernandes has created more big chances in the league this season than Salah, but he has played 700 minutes more.

But not a good season...

I think you should modify it to an excellent season until the AFCON and injury, and then average after that.

Selling Salah or not is one thing, but get the facts correct.

41 games, 24 goals and 13 assists. Only three players with more goal involvements than him in the PL and only six players with more GI in the top 5 leagues.

Only Bruno Fernandes has created more big chances in the league this season than Salah, but he has played 700 minutes more.

But not a good season...

I think you should modify it to an excellent season until the AFCON and injury, and then average after that.

Selling Salah or not is one thing, but get the facts correct.
Maybe you’re right on separating them : excellent and crap (and it’s 12 goals all season in the PL without penalties).
But you haven’t answered any of the issues I mentioned and just point to his totals for the season.
How about his lost pace, his shooting has lost power and accuracy too and his pressing and defensive actions look to have declined as well. No comment on them? Or are they going to improve as he ages ?

Maybe you’re right on separating them : excellent and crap (and it’s 12 goals all season in the PL without penalties).
But you haven’t answered any of the issues I mentioned and just point to his totals for the season.
How about his lost pace, his shooting has lost power and accuracy too and his pressing and defensive actions look to have declined as well. No comment on them? Or are they going to improve as he ages ?

That depends if you think the Mo before AFCON is the player he really is or not.

If its the latter then its no point discussing.

That depends if you think the Mo before AFCON is the player he really is or not.

If its the latter then its no point discussing.
I see. So basically what you’re saying is that all of his deterioration is due to the injury.
And that he’ll recover, have a great preseason and be back to his normal levels next season, despite his age?

He will then stink the place out with 5/10 performances but get a goal or assist making loads of people think he’s worth keeping. We will lose 4-2 because the opposition hammer our right side and put the blame on Bradders and Quansah. But Mo had a goal contribution so all is good.

Back
Top Bottom