• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sir Lewis Hamilton?

Rule changes needed for 2022

No tyre changes under red flags

No pit stops under safety car

If you force a car off the track to defend a position, and you also leave the track. The defence is not legitimate under any circumstances.

Oh and Michael Masi will be offered a choice like he gave RB. Resign, or be fired.

Plenty of people turned in to watch the race for the first time, and have immediately been turned off by that political ending.

The pit stops idea is unworkable. What if you are involved in a collision need to fix a puncture but the SC is out?

I agree with the red flag one.

The pit stops idea is unworkable. What if you are involved in a collision need to fix a puncture but the SC is out?

I agree with the red flag one.
If you are involved in the incident for the SC then yeah perhaps there wiggle room there. Similar to if there is a puncture from debris. Because the data should be available to the stewards too for tyre pressure.

today was the day I had a realisation why I have not watched the sport for the last 10 years, after being F1 obssessed in My childhood back in the Senna/ Mansell/ Prost days..

Utter farce..

Was like a team going 3 nil up and then the referee saying next goal wins it..

Hamilton was a Sitting duck..

No way Mercedes are going to let this lie..

today was the day I had a realisation why I have not watched the sport for the last 10 years, after being F1 obssessed in My childhood back in the Senna/ Mansell/ Prost days..

Utter farce..

Was like a team going 3 nil up and then the referee saying next goal wins it..

Hamilton was a Sitting duck..

No way Mercedes are going to let this lie..
Merc f'ed up with the pitstop strategy

If you force a car off the track to defend a position, and you also leave the track. The defence is not legitimate under any circumstances.

Oh and Michael Masi will be offered a choice like he gave RB. Resign, or be fired.

Plenty of people turned in to watch the race for the first time, and have immediately been turned off by that political ending.

I tuned in for the first time in years and loved it

The fume are having their own meltdown about it. Comparing themselves to Mercedes and FIA to UEFA.

F1 is finally Mario kart, build a 10s lead over 90% of the race then wait for a red shell in the final lap to blow the leader. Can’t wait till next season when they do bring in the blue shell, then will defo waych that…

Reminds me of Mario kart, build a 10s lead over 90% of the race then wait for a red shell in the final lap to blow the leader. Can’t wait till next season when they do bring in the blue shell, then will defo waych that…
Haas might have a chance when they keep getting the big bullets.

Do you realize that at SS, Hamilton benefitted exactly from a pitstop and significant repair after causing the collision? It will be hard to legislate.

There won't be such rules.

I realize you are just a bit salty at the moment. I'm sure I'm not alone as a neutral fan to appreciate the new winner and acknowledge it's a well deserved championship.

It was essential that the Merc could be challenged under this regulation. The last 5 races are proof that they ran conservatively in the early part of the season because they were confident they could push and unlock more from their car. I did not enjoy the bore fest that was F1 in the last few years...apart for the time when Rosberg challenged Hamilton and Vettel for short period challenging Hamilton before the Ferrari engine change (they were naughty)....it was boring and Merc had it well under control that even a Ferrari after cheating couldn't catch up.

Explain to me why he couldn't have gone into the pits at the same time as Verstappen if he was in front?
Because verstappen was instructed to do the opposite of Hamilton.

If Hamilton went in, Verstappen would have stayed out.

There was no guarantee the race would be restarted.

If Hamilton went in a lap later under the SC, he would have come out behind Verstappen anyway, as you can go faster to catch the SC.

Which is why a red flag was the fairest option for all parties under the current rules.

Last edited:
Do you realize that at SS, Hamilton benefitted exactly from a pitstop and significant repair after causing the collision? It will be hard to legislate.

There won't be such rules.

I realize you are just a bit salty at the moment. I'm sure I'm not alone as a neutral fan to appreciate the new winner and acknowledge it's a well deserved championship.

It was essential that the Merc could be challenged under this regulation. The last 5 races are proof that they ran conservatively in the early part of the season because they were confident they could push and unlock more from their car. I did not enjoy the bore fest that was F1 in the last few years...apart for the time when Rosberg challenged Hamilton and Vettel for short period challenging Hamilton before the Ferrari engine change (they were naughty)....it was boring and Merc had it well under control that even a Ferrari after cheating couldn't catch up.
It's obvious you are anti Mercedes. I'm just salty we (the viewers) were robbed of a classic and fair finish.

Instead it'll forever be remembered as a tainted win with a borderline asterisk, which is unfair on Max.

It'll be talked about more than Hamiltons 2008 win, where they accused Glock of lifting.

It's obvious you are anti Mercedes. I'm just salty we (the viewers) were robbed of a classic and fair finish.

Instead it'll forever be remembered as a tainted win with a borderline asterisk, which is unfair on Max.

It'll be talked about more than Hamiltons 2008 win, where they accused Glock of lifting.

We were robbed of a legitimate finish to the race, but the right driver won the championship. It is great & refreshing to see the Mercedes dominance ending, it has been a drain on F1 and the sport will flourish when Lewis retires in conjunction with the rules continuing to evolve to even up the field.

Over the course of the season, Lewis gained more than he lost from FIA interventions & SC/Flags. It just happens that one of the few against him was at the end of the final race.

I sympathise with Masi because its a hell of a situation to be sprung upon out of nowhere with such a highly pressured outcome.

The decision he took is defensible if he allowed the other unlapped cars to overtake the safety car, but the error was limiting it to only the ones between Max and Lewis, which makes it look far worse. Other drivers were impeded by unlapped cars, whereas Max wasn't, and that lies the issue. That for me is the failing here.

It's all brilliantly entertaining, though.

Because verstappen was instructed to do the opposite of Hamilton.

If Hamilton went in, Verstappen would have stayed out.

There was no guarantee the race would be restarted.

If Hamilton went in a lap later under the SC, he would have come out behind Verstappen anyway, as you can go faster to catch the SC.

Which is why a red flag was the fairest option for all parties under the current rules.
The red flag would have been a fairer outcome for both Max and Lewis, but in no other circumstances a red flag would have been considered for that incident. If that crash was on lap 33 of the first GP of the year then we all know it would cleared away under a safety car. Therefore deploying a red flag in these circumstances would have still been an example of changing the existing processes because of the title race, which is why the decision made is being criticised.

I believe that laps under a SC should not count towards the final lap count. That would have allowed time to get all the cars in the correct place and restart without huge decisions having to be made in a matter of moments. This change would also guarantee fans have a guaranteed amount of racing laps each GP.

Last edited:
The red flag would have been a fairer outcome for both Max and Lewis, but in no other circumstances a red flag would have hehe considered for that incident. If that crash was on lap 33 of the first GP of the year then we all know it would cleared away under a safety car. Therefore deploying a red flag in these circumstances would have still been an example of changing the existing processes because of the title race, which is why the decision made is being criticised.

I believe that laps under a SC should not count towards the final lap count. That would have allowed time to get all the cars in the correct place and restart without huge decisions having to be made in a matter of moments. This change would also guarantee fans have a guaranteed amount of racing laps each GP.
I agree with you.. but 5 laps before the end of a season...

You could argue Mercedes wouldn't have been happy with a red flag either, as they clearly wanted the end under the safety car.

But Sainz, Bottas and Tsunoda were denied a chance to fight for 2nd or better in how that unfolded.

Also the rules stipulate that once a message is deployed the safety car comes in the following lap. That wasn't followed as they broke their own rules to get a 'thrilling ending'.

Masi just got it all wrong, hindsight is wonderful, but I'm afraid he needs to fall on his sword.

F1 is finally Mario kart, build a 10s lead over 90% of the race then wait for a red shell in the final lap to blow the leader. Can’t wait till next season when they do bring in the blue shell, then will defo waych that…
I would watch it if it was more like Mario Kart.

They could spice it up by having no safety car, just flags if a car is immobile while on the track. Snipers at some of the corners taking pop shots at the passing cars would be good, like in Star Wars during the pod race. Obviously they wouldn't use real bullets, I'm not completely insane, they could have virtual bullets that slow the car down for a lap or something. What else? I'm sure the tech exists for the drivers to throw red and green shells at each other causing the other cars to slow or something.

I would watch it if it was more like Mario Kart.

They could spice it up by having no safety car, just flags if a car is immobile while on the track. Snipers at some of the corners taking pop shots at the passing cars would be good, like in Star Wars during the pod race. Obviously they wouldn't use real bullets, I'm not completely insane, they could have virtual bullets that slow the car down for a lap or something. What else? I'm sure the tech exists for the drivers to throw red and green shells at each other causing the other cars to slow or something.
Drive over virtual mushrooms to gain a speed boost.

Lightening strike to reduce every else's speed by 50% for 10 seconds

A lot of people complaining are using the "Max was on fresh tyres so having one more lap was unfair" - if the race director starts taking those kinds of details into account then things will be even worse. It was Mercedes' choice not to pit, they wanted the race to end under a safety car and are making their case for why that should have been. Ultimately it looks like the FIA are able to point to rules that are open to interpretation and Mercedes are showing why one interpretation (that didn't benefit them) is less valid than another interpretation (that would have benefitted them).

We were robbed of a legitimate finish to the race, but the right driver won the championship. It is great & refreshing to see the Mercedes dominance ending, it has been a drain on F1 and the sport will flourish when Lewis retires in conjunction with the rules continuing to evolve to even up the field.

Over the course of the season, Lewis gained more than he lost from FIA interventions & SC/Flags. It just happens that one of the few against him was at the end of the final race.

This is exactly how I'm viewing things. Absolutely the correct driver won....in many of the close races Verstappen edged Hamilton out and they both had a few races were they were dominant, but overall the Merc was more dominant and luck was on Hamilton's side until the very last 12 laps of the season.

I'm not anti anything.....When the new engine formula was announced, Merc did such a good job and were so far ahead that it took 5 years for anyone to catch-up...because as their own engineers said they were conceptually prepared 10 years ahead of the competition. I'm happy that Honda finally managed to find the answer on the track....and Honda has very deep pockets. It was nearly impossible for other teams to catch up. I'm happy to see it end. Both Ferrari (after their latest update) and Honda are now on level terms with respect to engine with Merc, and the new aero regs will reset the field again. It won't be so easy anymore, which is a good thing. I was pissed off when Shucmacher kept winnining in 2000s ...but that was still slightly better than what we witnessed in the last 8 years in the name of competition....

This is exactly how I'm viewing things. Absolutely the correct driver won....in many of the close races Verstappen edged Hamilton out and they both had a few races were they were dominant, but overall the Merc was more dominant and luck was on Hamilton's side until the very last 12 laps of the season.

I'm not anti anything.....When the new engine formula was announced, Merc did such a good job and were so far ahead that it took 5 years for anyone to catch-up...because as their own engineers said they were conceptually prepared 10 years ahead of the competition. I'm happy that Honda finally managed to find the answer on the track....and Honda has very deep pockets. It was nearly impossible for other teams to catch up. I'm happy to see it end. Both Ferrari (after their latest update) and Honda are now on level terms with respect to engine with Merc, and the new aero regs will reset the field again. It won't be so easy anymore, which is a good thing. I was pissed off when Shucmacher kept winnining in 2000s ...but that was still slightly better than what we witnessed in the last 8 years in the name of competition....

Yep - really hoping the rules changes and the new limits on certain elements to try and even the field start to pay dividend. I like the idea that the team finishing 10th gets more time allowed in a wind tunnel than the team in 9th, then 8th etc.

For me the icing on the cake for the sport being 'fixed' is when there is no longer a need for DRS. At times DRS is just too easy for cars to overtake, but it is essential whilst the cars are the way that they are.

Honda have left again.

A lot of people complaining are using the "Max was on fresh tyres so having one more lap was unfair" - if the race director starts taking those kinds of details into account then things will be even worse. It was Mercedes' choice not to pit, they wanted the race to end under a safety car and are making their case for why that should have been. Ultimately it looks like the FIA are able to point to rules that are open to interpretation and Mercedes are showing why one interpretation (that didn't benefit them) is less valid than another interpretation (that would have benefitted them).
As I said above, Mercedes couldn't pit under the SC.

If they pitted Verstappen stays out. Max is in the lead.

There was no guarantee the race would restart and indeed Christian Horner would be reacting how Wolff did and the RB fans would be shouting 'fix'. That they fixed it for Lewis to win.

That's the point here. They didn't apply the rules as they are written consistently. They made up the rules to get 1 lap in.

Which is wrong. A whole season decided on 1 lap in unbalanced conditions, when there is no precedent to do what Masi did.

1 - Only allow 5 cars to clear.. not 8 (so there cars between 2nd and 3rd).
2 - Not bring the safety car in the following lap after that announcement was given.

I'm not saying take the title away from Max. That's not what anyone wants. But until Max wins another one, there will always be an asterisk for me.

Back
Top Bottom