• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So... Its not going great is it.. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't matter how many goals he scores, and we don't need a proper striker, everything is great

Yeah.

It's all great

The crazy thing is the transfer window is still open and we are sleep walking through it. the team looks dead on its feet

Fucking hell guys. We have one thread going slamming how piss poor Lazar is while in this thread we sulk about an open transferwindow and we don't by someone....

We allready have someone and someone doesn't improve us much. We will only buy when it is the right man for the job.

We'll be back; Won't be long before RedNinja starts questioning Klopp's abilities in the meantime.

We definitely are missing a cutting edge.

The way Southampton carved us up at the end was what we were doing to teams
Was gonna happen at the end it was all or nothing for us. I dont put it down to defensive error that it is the course of action you should expect when the team is totally commited.

Yes, he clearly has. Maybe not as many goals as we'd like but then he doesn't always (often) start as our #9. He's no clinical striker but he has a knack of being in the right place at the right time.

When he hasn't played as the main striker he's been poor, but when he has played as the main striker he's been a workhorse and important cog for the team, the flipside being he doesn't score enough goals. He's a wonderfully talented player but he hasn't been "great" all season at all and he doesn't provide a consistent goal threat. I wish people would stop taking that sort of criticism of him so personally, because it's so obviously fucking right.

As for Sturridge, you need to separate what he's like now to what we hoped he could still be like. We need a goalscorer, he was the best goalscorer at the club, so it was logical to want to see him play and see if he could get the goals we need. No one knew exactly how finished he was, so there's no room for gloating and "I told you so's", because the point is still blindingly relevant. We need more goals from whoever makes up the front three - the players who currently do, don't score enough goals. Ergo, we need to buy someone.

I feel like we've gone back to being a brendan rodgers team over the last month or so - pass pass press pass pass press pass pass press, but no real goal threat, or real decent chances for the forwards to feed off.

Sturridge was disappointing. He wasn't exactly the only one.

Perhaps my faith in him is misplaced, but the main thrust of my argument was us having a top quality striker and reliable goalscorer

That was maybe Sturridge pre-injuries and not now, but it's certainly a requirement, and has been since Klopp arrived.

Don't see anyone arguing with it now though

Dude ... 'Reliable goalscorers' dont' have one 15+ goal season by the time they're 27 ... He's just not what he could have been. Blame mental weakness, blame injuries, blame whatever. It's not all his fault - but he's a top class talent that gave us a glimpse in that season, but has never really done it consistently bar that season. Wasted.

We don't need a great striker imo to be a better team.

Firmino is FINE at the #9 ... He's not a great striker, but what he does there is consistently ensure the players around him get the opportunities to score goals ... If he gives us 15 goals a season - he would have if he wasn't pushed the to the flanks (due to lack of squad depth) - and plays with players like Coutinho/Mane on his flank for a season, we'll score enough goals to win the league (as we were doing most of the season).

The problem is we have a thin squad - so injuries have fucked us - and our defense is not as good as it needs to be.
Is Matip good enough?
Clyne's good enough defensively - but his inability to add a consistent threat when he has the ball hurts us. Would Kyle Walker-like player, who's not as good defensively but a far greater danger going forward, be better for us?
Milner has been solid - but can we do better?
Lovren clearly is too inconsistent.
Klavan is a squad member, not a guy who should be starting 15-20 games in a season.

We have got to (GOT TO) have pace up front even if Mane is missing.

When teams can sit up higher on us, and all of our attackers want balls played to feet rather than making runs in behind, we look half the team - so in that respect Sturridge is both the cause and the victim of our issues - he refuses to (or now simply cant) make runs in behind, and without pace and movement around him he looks like slow-mo shit (doesn't explain missing 2 gilt-edged goal chances though, I guess that's how low his confidence has dropped).

I agree with some of that. We have two strikers on the bench but still struggle for goals. A player who is probably a 10-12 a season attacker is leading the line with no one really threatening him enough to displace him. That's the crux of the problem, Firmino is "fine" as the number 9 because there is simply no one consistent enough to displace him, or to see him moved to another role/option.

Last edited:
I agree with some of that, but the problem isn't so much a paper thin squad. We have two strikers on the bench but still struggle for goals. A player who is probably a 10-12 a season attacker is leading the line with no one really threatening him enough to displace him. That's the crux of the problem, Firmino is "fine" as the number 9 because there is simply no one consistent enough to displace him, or to see him moved to another role/option.

But we need time to build an empire. Klopp has made some decision that is great for us and some that doesn't Pay him off. Imagine if he actually sold Studge in the summer and we didn't score enough goals in January... people would be crazy... now he kept Studge and we still doesn't score enough come January. So we need to asses the squad continously and add when the right option is there. Some of the players off form now will be hailed the same way they are slaughtered now later in the season. The game is dynamic and either we believe we are in the right path or we don't. Either way we can't except only sunshine or else we don't have a clue. People that said we had too poor squad to finish top four before the season is now furios because we are not fighting our for the title. It doesn't make any sense.

I agree with some of that, but the problem isn't so much a paper thin squad. We have two strikers on the bench but still struggle for goals. A player who is probably a 10-12 a season attacker is leading the line with no one really threatening him enough to displace him. That's the crux of the problem, Firmino is "fine" as the number 9 because there is simply no one consistent enough to displace him, or to see him moved to another role/option.[/QU
Firmino is clearly no Suarez or Torres or Fowler but it's also clear that he's the best centre forward we currently have.
I can't understand why Klopp would move him from there days after he's scored two good goals against Swansea to bring in Sturridge who just looks finished as a top class striker.
Centre foward isn't the only position in the team and squad that we have to improve but until we do get more signings then we have to play Firmino up front and try someone else on the wing (until Mane comes back).
Klopp has badly misjudged how much the team would miss Mane and his smallish squad mentality looks flawed at the moment.

I think it comes down to needing a bigger budget and two or three proper additions, as apposed to squad fillers.Doesn't look like we will get them though and maybe that is Klopp's true achilles heal.
Our blip has coincided with injuries and an intense schedule. We have also haven't been endowed with the best of luck decisions wise, and yet we are still in the top four.

I think it comes down to needing a bigger budget and two or three proper additions, as apposed to squad fillers.Doesn't look like we will get them though and maybe that is Klopp's true achilles heal.
Our blip has coincided with injuries and an intense schedule. We have also haven't been endowed with the best of luck decisions wise, and yet we are still in the top four.

How much of this is down to the man himself though. He's on record as saying he wants a small squad to work with as it's better for morale and he doesn't like rotating players if they're fit.

It's unlikely we'll qualify for the Champions League unless we improve dramatically and go on a Chelsea-like run of wins, but, even if we do, we need to seriously strengthen this squad. This was supposed to be the season when we'd have a big advantage because of no European games, and yet we've looked shattered in the past month or so, mentally as well as physically, with far too many sub-standard reserves coming in for cup games, and some fans are even dismissing our sole chance of any silverware because they fear we can't compete on a mere two fronts. It's really depressing, but this situation has been looming for a while, and it's been poorly managed

Why would we need to go on a 14 winning game streak to get CL footy?
To qualify for the CL given our standing now, we have to win as many points as the teams around us.
Will they go on a 14 game winning streak? No.

We wont qualify for a top 4 finish with this form obviously, that goes without saying.
But its a long way to May, and we were probably the best team in the league (with Chelsea) before Christmas.
Hopefully we'll get back to that type of performances pretty quickly. Very quickly in fact.

How much of this is down to the man himself though. He's on record as saying he wants a small squad to work with as it's better for morale and he doesn't like rotating players if they're fit.
Kind of the point I was making, I also think a factor in our dip in form has been the fact that other teams have settled on an effective game plan against us.

We're second only to Chelsea on points scored in 2016. Sure, we've had a crappy Jan, but all teams have a dip. It's a concern, but it's hardly a crisis. Yet. Let's give it a few weeks and see how Klopp handles this. We've. It played well in a month, and there are various possible reasons, but I have total faith in Klopp for now. Let's see what the rest of the season brings. Big gamble not bringing anyone in in Jan...

I agree with some of that. We have two strikers on the bench but still struggle for goals. A player who is probably a 10-12 a season attacker is leading the line with no one really threatening him enough to displace him. That's the crux of the problem, Firmino is "fine" as the number 9 because there is simply no one consistent enough to displace him, or to see him moved to another role/option.

I used to read that a lot. He should score 15-20 goals. Then it was 15. Now it's 'might'

'might' get 15 goals. As fucking if.

Now it's 'maybe 12' and he's gone from amazing and irreplaceable to just 'fine' and the faintest of praise 'our best available striker', given the apparent and possibly irreversible decline in Sturridge (and the fact that Origi isn't very good).

That doesn't alter the fact that Firmino isn't good enough to be our first choice striker, and doesn't score enough goals. He has many qualities, the much-vaunted workrate, the technical skill, etc. That is pretty clear.

But winning trophies requires pace, of which he has none, the ability to make the most of chances, which he can't, and a consistently high level of performance, which he hasn't.

So the facts remain, as they did in summer, that we need to buy a much better striker who is a reliable source of goals, and also provides the workrate, tenacity and pace to get behind defences.

It's quite weird how long it has taken for this to become obvious to everyone

So yeah he might be our best option in the squad now. But that's not really saying much.

'Fine' and 'might' are the watchwords of fools

When we had Mane, Coutinho & Firmino together, at what rate was the team scoring goals?
If those front 3 combine for 45 goals, is it problematic if Firmino only scores 12 of them?
We can win the league with that front 3 ...

I'm responding to you as at least you have the ability to see what was happening before injuries and squad depth (i.e. forcing our best central player to the flanks) took away most of our momentum.

It is imperative next year we have another player like Mane - pace, technical skill & 8-15 goals. Cannot only rely on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom