• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So... Its not going great is it.. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we had Mane, Coutinho & Firmino together, at what rate was the team scoring goals?
If those front 3 combine for 45 goals, is it problematic if Firmino only scores 12 of them?
We can win the league with that front 3 ...

I'm responding to you as at least you have the ability to see what was happening before injuries and squad depth (i.e. forcing our best central player to the flanks) took away most of our momentum.

It is imperative next year we have another player like Mane - pace, technical skill & 8-15 goals. Cannot only rely on him.

You're looking at the results and performances in a window of half a season.

Assuming that level over a whole season could be maintained is total guesswork, even with injuries and absence taken into account

So it's a ludicrous assumption and one that has been shown to be flawed already

You're looking at the results and performances in a window of half a season.

Assuming that level over a whole season could be maintained is total guesswork, even with injuries and absence taken into account

So it's a ludicrous assumption and one that has been shown to be flawed already

I find it odd that you talk about 'ludicrous assumptions' based on your analysis of our strikers ...

I assume that Klopp will most likely sign 1-2 Coutinho/Fimino/Mane like players to hopefully ensure that 'half a season' can be maintained over the course of the year.

That doesn't alter the fact that Firmino isn't good enough to be our first choice striker, and doesn't score enough goals. He has many qualities, the much-vaunted workrate, the technical skill, etc. That is pretty clear.

But winning trophies requires pace, of which he has none, the ability to make the most of chances, which he can't, and a consistently high level of performance, which he hasn't.

You are oddly fascinated by pace. I'm a total sucker for a bit of pace myself but your judgement on pace leaves a lot to be desired.
Frimino isn't as pacy as Mane for example but it doesn't mean he is slow.

Disclaimer : Please don't use this post as a launch pad to wade into match threads to try hammer home your point to illustrate Frimino has no pace at all.

What's ludicrous about anything I've said?

I was accused of overrating Mane's importance and quality, but if anything I underrated it

The rest hasn't changed. Nor has there been any evidence to suggest otherwise

We need a quality DM, more pace in attack, a better striker than Firmino, a new keeper and at least two more defenders

Improving our defence, injecting more pace and a reliable finisher. Nobody would argue with those principles

Improving our defence, injecting more pace and a reliable finisher. Nobody would argue with those principles

I don't think anyone would argue against those principles. Who wouldn't want improvements on all positions on the pitch?
I think you get a bit of heat because you continue to lambaste some of our players (Frimino, Origi for example) in an effort to hammer home or re emphasis a point.

I'm not saying our players are free from criticism, not at all. I'd always welcome new players but I won't let it cloud my judgment on existing players, say Frimino for example, who I think is a great player.

What's ludicrous about anything I've said?

I was accused of overrating Mane's importance and quality, but if anything I underrated it

The rest hasn't changed. Nor has there been any evidence to suggest otherwise

We need a quality DM, more pace in attack, a better striker than Firmino, a new keeper and at least two more defenders

Your ludicrous position on Studge - you knew full well he's only had one consistent season where the goals flowed ... Before and after that, confidence, games, formations & injuries have never allowed him to be more than a 'potentially great striker.' Yet throughout the first few months of the season, where the team was shitting goals for fun, you went on and on about a striker who's clearly struggling to do what he's paid to do.

I don't remember the Mane attacks - but I, like you, underrated how absolutely key he was to making our front 3 work ... pace, pace and more pace.

We need a quality DM - any preferences? Dortmund have a good young'un no?

I'm ok keeping Firmino as our primary striker if we get two more quality flank options so he can only play up front.

Goalkeeper - not impressed with Karius over the last two cup games? I think he's performed at a really good level.

Yes, I mentioned needing better defenders too. we need a good CB to pair with Matip.

You are oddly fascinated by pace. I'm a total sucker for a bit of pace myself but your judgement on pace leaves a lot to be desired.
Frimino isn't as pacy as Mane for example but it doesn't mean he is slow.

Disclaimer : Please don't use this post as a launch pad to wade into match threads to try hammer home your point to illustrate Frimino has no pace at all.
Brendan would've absolutely cherished to watch me on the pitch when I was younger.

No brains, all pace.. sprint, sprint, sprint shoot!! Now that I am older and wiser and slower it's more like.. jog, jog, tackle, look up, jog, fall over, wriggle in pain.

*I still try the odd sprint but I am worried that my body will try to expel my legs from my body if I push them too hard.

Pace is utterly vital in any top team, and without Mane we look turgid.

Our win rate with him is over 70%

Without him it drops to around 30%. That might be partly due to his goal threat and finishing ability being missed, but his speed is also fundamental.

Ain't stats great. He's also happened to be away with his nation while we have a big dip in form.
If he comes back and we start firing again on all cylinders, then maybe that stat has some validity.
Don't get wrong tho, he's top, and important to the team.

Without him it drops to around 30%. That might be partly due to his goal threat and finishing ability being missed, but his speed is also fundamental.

Which is why I said before the game yesterday that we should go with:
Coutinho / Firmino OR Studge / Wilson or Ojo.

Wilson/Ojo are not nearly as good as Firmino or Studge, but they offer us pace and the ability to keep our strikers central. I just don't see how we can play without some 'scary' pace in the front 3.

We need to invest in another pacey attacker -

I've always believed a team with no pace is never going to win the premiership so I have to agree with manwithnoname. It was criminal that klopp didn't have another player with pace in the squad. We knew from the day we bought him that mane would be away on African nations duty. Pace makes a huge difference to your attack.

I've always believed a team with no pace is never going to win the premiership so I have to agree with manwithnoname. It was criminal that klopp didn't have another player with pace in the squad. We knew from the day we bought him that mane would be away on African nations duty. Pace makes a huge difference to your attack.

It's also useful when a player who is positioned deeper can break forward at speed, and disrupt the usual bank of defenders.

What we saw yesterday was a team almost entirely devoid of pace, hoping to pass their way through an entire team, or beating a man and then not able to get clear without being tackled.

I've always believed a team with no pace is never going to win the premiership so I have to agree with manwithnoname. It was criminal that klopp didn't have another player with pace in the squad. We knew from the day we bought him that mane would be away on African nations duty. Pace makes a huge difference to your attack.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't disagree with that generally but when there are 9 men sitting on the edge of their penalty area pace is not going to have much impact

Amazes me that so many people are missing this.

People often look for complexity where it doesn't exist.

It's the manager, no it's the defence or the midfield or the attack or the fixture list or the injuries or the owners, sign this one or that one or anyone blah blah blah

Last edited:
Wouldn't disagree with that generally but when there are 9 men sitting on the edge of their penalty area pace is not going to have much impact
I get that, but acceleration from a standing start is a different kinda pace which really can make a difference against a bus.

I saw that. Which makes the Burnley game seem like an early example of what January could be like.

When he hasn't played as the main striker he's been poor, but when he has played as the main striker he's been a workhorse and important cog for the team, the flipside being he doesn't score enough goals. He's a wonderfully talented player but he hasn't been "great" all season at all and he doesn't provide a consistent goal threat. I wish people would stop taking that sort of criticism of him so personally, because it's so obviously fucking right.

As for Sturridge, you need to separate what he's like now to what we hoped he could still be like. We need a goalscorer, he was the best goalscorer at the club, so it was logical to want to see him play and see if he could get the goals we need. No one knew exactly how finished he was, so there's no room for gloating and "I told you so's", because the point is still blindingly relevant. We need more goals from whoever makes up the front three - the players who currently do, don't score enough goals. Ergo, we need to buy someone.
I think you totally missed my point in posting that to Brendan.

re. Firmino. He's been one of our best players this season - hence our high position and points total - and generally, yes, he's been great (as in the scouse 'great' not literally Great !). I've said many times he should not be played out wide so am in complete agreement. Nothing personal at all.

Sturridge - again I am in agreement that he needed to be given a chance and was pleased with his return to fitness and have never advocated selling him (until now). And again my comment to Brendan was simply a tit-for-tat base in his actions on the forum whenever Firmino didn't score or we didn't win when he played.

I think most expected to be able to rely on Sturridge, Origi and Ings than we have this season.

Origi has scored a few goals but on the whole has been disappointing and regressed. I expected a lot more from him.

Sturridge is a bit of an enigma at the moment and unfortunately it's hard to even justify him getting a run in the side to play himself into form.

Ings very unlucky again but didn't seem to be in Klopp's plans really anyways.

Add injuries and what not to that and it's clear why we've been struggling. Lallana, Coutinho and Firmino are not Messi, Iniesta and co. We can't expect them to be winning games through perfect one touch football over the course of the season. There need to be some alternatives.

We desperately needed reinforcements in Jan and I just hope it doesn't end up costing us.

Why bother buying players now?
We're nearing the end of Jan and Mané will return in about 2 weeks, so what's the point?

We knew since the start of the season that we'd lose Mané in January, but Klopp or the club decided against buying anyone.
They dug their own grave.

We're not winning any title, Klopp should focus on strengthening the squad in the summer.

Imo we should be looking at four players. Sule/Tah, Brandt and Goretzka. That's CB, CM/AM and RW/LW covered.

Then there's LB, DM and FW. Not sure who we should be looking for there.

Yeah it won't be cheap.

Selling Can and Sturridge might help.

Last edited:
I saw that. Which makes the Burnley game seem like an early example of what January could be like.

Burnley got a very early goal and sat back, two banks of five. Pace to exploit in behind wouldn't have helped that much. We needed ingenuity and guile to 'pick the lock' (hate to use a shit cliche, but feeling lazy). We were rubbish that day. I thought Matip missing was more of problem since our defense gifted them two goals which allowed them sit back for the rest of the game. We then failed to break them down in a poor game. Of course Mane would have increased our chances of scoring but I'm not sure we would have scored regardless.

Why bother buying players now?
We're nearing the end of Jan and Mané will return in about 2 weeks, so what's the point?

We knew since the start of the season that we'd lose Mané in January, but Klopp or the club decided against buying anyone.
They dug their own grave.

We're not winning any title, Klopp should focus on who strengthening the squad in the summer.

Imo we should be looking at four players. Sule/Tah, Brandt and Goretzka. That's CB, CM/AM and RW/LW covered.

Then there's LB, DM and FW. Not sure who we should be looking for there.

Yeah it won't be cheap.

Selling Can and Sturridge might help.

But the season runs until May. And who knows what condition Mané will be in when he returns. If a suitable player is available then sign him now.

Also, scoring 3 against Bournemouth, 2 against West Ham, 2 against Sunderland and 2 against Swansea should be enough to beat those team. Scoring in these game wasn't the problem. Our defense/keeper left us down.

I do agree that we could have done with a Mane clone while he was away but I presume Klopp felt we'd 'survive' with Coutinho coming back and Sturridge supposedly fit to play. We missed a handful of chances (Gini, Frimino) against United and Sturridge fluffed his lines last night. I missed the Swansea game but the highlights informed me we were once again pathetic at the back. We are slow and stale at times in Midfield with Can stinking the place out lately. We need to get back to Gini, Henderson, Lallana, Coutinho, Frimino, Mane asap and put a string of wins together. Oh and fingers crossed Matip can install a bit of normality at the back.

But the season runs until May. And who knows what condition Mané will be in when he returns. If a suitable player is available then sign him now.
Apparently there are no suitable players, or there are, but no one wants to sell them to us atm. Which is bull btw.
Money talks, problem is we're not into that type of conversation as the whole Draxler story proved.

Burnley got a very early goal and sat back, two banks of five. Pace to exploit in behind wouldn't have helped that much. We needed ingenuity and guile to 'pick the lock' (hate to use a shit cliche, but feeling lazy). We were rubbish that day. I thought Matip missing was more of problem since our defense gifted them two goals which allowed them sit back for the rest of the game. We then failed to break them down in a poor game. Of course Mane would have increased our chances of scoring but I'm not sure we would have scored regardless.

Yeah, Matip was missing aswell which was crucial. I just feel that Mane would have given us that x factor to unpick the defence.
Easy to say in hindsight obviously :)

We need to expect more from certain players. It's obvious that Sturridge has been fucking up lately, but where's Lallana?
Where's Henderson?
Wijnaldum?
Can?
Milner is pumping balls into the opposition box like a trebuchet during a siege.
Lallana running around, without any end product.
Coutinho, trying the usual through ball to no avail.
Henderson, sideways.
Wijnaldum, short passes and no through balls, no inventiveness.
Can, running around like a headless chicken.

The usual shit show, during this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom