• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match Southampton (H) - FA Cup - Wed 20:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never been so offended for someone else

Fucking keita??

Yeah… I know… but Keita had the skills to be a fucking monster of a player - he was just a shithouse and made of weetabix.

Hence… the things The Boy is not.

Ryan Fraser injured on the weekend is out as is David Brooks who is cup tied. 2 players that have given us a torrid time in the past so I'm happy with that.

We can all breathe a sign of relief that generational talent… indeed, the Scottish Messi, Ryan Fraser, is not going to grace the Anfield turf with his genius!!!

We can all breathe a sign of relief that generational talent… indeed, the Scottish Messi, Ryan Fraser, is not going to grace the Anfield turf with his genius!!!
He's gracefully passed that baton down to Sir Ben Doak, so former Scottish Messi now.

The Boy doesn't have the killer instinct of Bernardo and his technical ability is a level or 2 below.......yes he's 20 but he's played 100 times for the club now and nothing I've seen in his development makes me think "hey that's our Bernardo Silva"

He doesn't get in the box anywhere near as much as Bernardo does to even get the goals/assists. The goals/assists he usually does get comes from his good work outside the box.

Elliott does run his little arse off, but I'm often left wondering how effective his pressing is. From an eye test alone it looks like his running yards will be high, but his interceptions, ball recovery and tackle numbers will be pretty low. He does seem to get played through easily.

He's having a decent year though and it's easy to forget how young he is given his experience to date.

In the FIFA men's player of the year poll for 2023, Bernardo Silva was ranked 8th (and 11th in the Guardian year-end poll on world football). I'm not going to criticise a 20 year-old The Boy Elliott for not being as good as Silva. He's a top-drawer player and I agree that's the kind of player Elliott could become, and what he should aspire to be. That's high praise to say he has that potential. It's no criticism of his current level to say he's not there yet.
And not just that, watch him celebrate his goal against Luton in front of the Kop, look at how proud he was carrying the cup around the ground on Sunday. He's not some professional badge-kisser. He's a genuine boyhood LFC fan, living his dream. We're lucky to be watching him do it.

In the FIFA men's player of the year poll for 2023, Bernardo Silva was ranked 8th (and 11th in the Guardian year-end poll on world football). I'm not going to criticise a 20 year-old The Boy Elliott for not being as good as Silva. He's a top-drawer player and I agree that's the kind of player Elliott could become, and what he should aspire to be. That's high praise to say he has that potential. It's no criticism of his current level to say he's not there yet.
And not just that, watch him celebrate his goal against Luton in front of the Kop, look at how proud he was carrying the cup around the ground on Sunday. He's not some professional badge-kisser. He's a genuine boyhood LFC fan, living his dream. We're lucky to be watching him do it.
Exactly.

Top post.

Yep.

Agree

(Gimme my like)

Yup.

The Boy doesn't have the killer instinct of Bernardo and his technical ability is a level or 2 below.......yes he's 20 but he's played 100 times for the club now and nothing I've seen in his development makes me think "hey that's our Bernardo Silva"

He doesn't get in the box anywhere near as much as Bernardo does to even get the goals/assists. The goals/assists he usually does get comes from his good work outside the box.

This is what does my nuts in.

Why don’t you compare 20 yo The Boy to 20 yo Bernardo Silva?

Let me help you - at a comparable age, Bernardo Silva was in his first season at Monaco, but his point in his career I reckon Silva had played just over 20 games and scored 3 or 4 goals.

Silva was playing for Monaco in the French League.

What happens next is up to The Boy, but he’s significantly ahead of where Silva was at this stage of his development - we know that if you give a player of his age regular and consistent game time, he improves - or at least if he doesn’t then you know it’s time to get rid.

That “killer instinct” comes from playing games - he keeps getting better and better.

Incidentally, that killer instinct you speak of gets Silva average 5-6 goals a season (in the league). The Boy’s on 2 without nearly as much game time - it’s not a huge jump - little more composure in his shots - he should have 3-4 more goals - and he’ll be pumping out similar stats to Silva.

That’s what we want, no?

Shaq didn't cover a quarter of the space The Boy patrols, and Keita was just a different kind of midfielder. I think Fabio's Lallana shout is closer. He's just everywhere, constantly looking for a job to do. One thing he'll never be accused of is hiding in a game.

He put the ball on Gini’s head against Barca and that’s good enough for me

He put the ball on Gini’s head against Barca and that’s good enough for me
That's about all he did right in the game.
Otherwise he was shite.
I rewatched it recently and the commentator was saying constantly that he needed to be hooked

This is what does my nuts in.

Why don’t you compare 20 yo The Boy to 20 yo Bernardo Silva?

Let me help you - at a comparable age, Bernardo Silva was in his first season at Monaco, but his point in his career I reckon Silva had played just over 20 games and scored 3 or 4 goals.

Silva was playing for Monaco in the French League.

What happens next is up to The Boy, but he’s significantly ahead of where Silva was at this stage of his development - we know that if you give a player of his age regular and consistent game time, he improves - or at least if he doesn’t then you know it’s time to get rid.

That “killer instinct” comes from playing games - he keeps getting better and better.

Incidentally, that killer instinct you speak of gets Silva average 5-6 goals a season (in the league). The Boy’s on 2 without nearly as much game time - it’s not a huge jump - little more composure in his shots - he should have 3-4 more goals - and he’ll be pumping out similar stats to Silva.

That’s what we want, no?

Well that's kinda ironic isn't it because do you wanna know what does my nuts in, people who put The Boy and Bernardo in the same sentence to begin with....I'm just responding with why I DON'T think they should be compared or made out like they're in some way similar.

But since you wanna push through with this narrative, at 20 Silva was a regular for Monaco......managed 7 goals and 1 assist in 32 games, at 21 he again managed 8 goals this time with 11 assists. Take from that what you want.

He's played 100 games.......how many games did it take Owen or Fowler or Macca or Stevie to work out they had that killer instinct? For me The Boy isn't that type of player which is absolutely fine because that's not really what he's in the team to do anyway, that's not to say he couldn't drop a level or 2 if he wanted and get the goals/assists someone like Bernardo gets at City because I reckon he could, like he showed at his time at Blackburn when he was likely told to be more involved in final third situations.

Last edited:
Elliott's not really a dribbler like Silva, though, is he? Guys like Silva and Coutinho aren't sprinters but they're quick over short distances, so they're good at going past players in tight spaces and ghosting into the box.

I'd say our best version of a young Silva would be Carvalho. Elliott's going to have to rely on his longer passing/crossing and shooting more than players like that. He's maybe a bit of a midget version of Beckham. He should be playing on the left rather than the right imo.

Look at this chancer. Ha, if only poaching from the like-harvesting of others was as easy as this @StevieM.
It's like watching Antony do full circles on the touchline, and then passing the ball out of play.

A true "streets won't forget" like harvester, rather than any true quality

Our current situation, if it wasn't already clear to you beforehand:

0Cj0xuv.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom