• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Danilo is a kind of player we shouldn't let go to others. He has the energy and the skills to take us a notch up maybe more. With him in our mid together with Thiago and Fabs I dont think we would challenge for the quad, we would actually win it.

I hear you and what you are saying is he is exactly the kind of player that we will watch go to another club and then spend the next five years bemoaning the lack of options on the market

In slightly less unrealistic news, we are now being linked with Douglas Luiz.

I'm excited about this, mostly because the chance of us getting him is greater than 5%, in my estimation.

It’s because it’s a shite compilation made by someone who should be gainfully employed making Everton season highlights videos. I posted a better one on page 25 of this thread:

Great his name rhymes with Sadio Mane....surely he is a good player!

I'm not giving up hope yet.

I heard Ashley Young only has a year left on his contract...

I'm not giving up hope yet.

I heard Ashley Young only has a year left on his contract...
That is proper bottom of the barrell hope, like licking the sides and wood stuff.

If we don't sign anyone, then I really hope FSG are made to sweat proper for that golden 4th place. But also have to say Klopp is not innocent in this. Fucking he'll all around us the other teams are filling up and getting ready, and our idiots are standing still. This is a world cup year, so that means if a player we want becomes available in Jan/Feb and had a good wold cup, we will be properly fucked over on price.

That is proper bottom of the barrell hope, like licking the sides and wood stuff.

If we don't sign anyone, then I really hope FSG are made to sweat proper for that golden 4th place. But also have to say Klopp is not innocent in this. Fucking he'll all around us the other teams are filling up and getting ready, and our idiots are standing still. This is a world cup year, so that means if a player we want becomes available in Jan/Feb and had a good wold cup, we will be properly fucked over on price.
You've recently started to sow the seeds for your inevitable 'Klopp Out' psychodrama. Could you knock it on the head? There's a good fella.

You've recently started to sow the seeds for your inevitable 'Klopp Out' psychodrama. Could you knock it on the head? There's a good fella.

Really ? - Klopp out ? - you need to understand my posts better, ok ? - now there's a good dogy.

So this is a blackmark for the new lad Ward maybe? Failed to persuade any of our midfield targets

Maybe FSG need to realize we are now in the big league and while their model was great in getting us here, we need to be less risk averse to stay here?

Did all this Salah persuasion time take away from finding a midfielder?

I think there's a clue in the detail of what Klopp says here:

"I am not careful, we get told what is possible and what isn’t. That’s it. In this range we try to work it."

That reads to me like he gets given a budget to work with (that is what he means by "range"). Within that budget FSG are probably happy for him to do whatever he wants, they'll trust his judgment on players and what he needs, but they don't want him to spend beyond the amount allowed. Whether you like it or not, this is not abnormal. The manager has discretion to shape his squad how he sees fit, but he doesn't have carte blanche to spend money the club doesn't have.

He also made a comment the other day about wanting to take more risks - I saw that as more likely to be a criticism of the transfer committee than the funds available to him. He maybe thinks the committee approach is too cautious. But with all of this, we need to remember that, when he signed, he said he had final say on transfers - I took that to mean that if the committee was recommending signing a player and he didn't want to do it, then we wouldn't sign that player. I'm not sure it necessarily means that if he wants to sign a player and the committee doesn't, that he has the right to go over their heads - I suspect in that situation he would need to get FSG (i.e. Mike Gordon) to OK it.

So I don't think the current situation is ideal, there's clearly a bit of tension there, but I don't think there's a major relationship problem.

I do think there is still money available to spend, but I think the current tension may be about the committee saying we should not panic-buy this week, and maybe set up a deal or two for January instead.

And finally, just a reminder that a lot of our spare cash is being spent on the Annie Road this year. I expect there to be more funds to spend next summer (it will be the first time in three years where we won't have a major capital project on the go), and this, perhaps, explains why we're OK letting some players run their contracts down. Realistically, given their injury issues, Keita and Ox wouldn't command much in the way of fees if they could be sold this month and Bobby isn't getting any younger so also doesn't have massive re-sale value. I expect next summer's window will see those players replaced by guys who are more viable long-term, and that there will be money available to do that. If there are opportunities to do those deals in January then some of them might be advanced (as we saw with Diaz in January this year).

So this is a blackmark for the new lad Ward maybe? Failed to persuade any of our midfield targets

Maybe FSG need to realize we are now in the big league and while their model was great in getting us here, we need to be less risk averse to stay here?

Did all this Salah persuasion time take away from finding a midfielder?

I’d like to think they are capable of multi-tasking.

This shit happened on Edwards watch too (with the defense) so a wider issue… the club seem very comfortable gambling on a single season (or two).

I think there's a clue in the detail of what Klopp says here:

"I am not careful, we get told what is possible and what isn’t. That’s it. In this range we try to work it."

That reads to me like he gets given a budget to work with (that is what he means by "range"). Within that budget FSG are probably happy for him to do whatever he wants, they'll trust his judgment on players and what he needs, but they don't want him to spend beyond the amount allowed. Whether you like it or not, this is not abnormal. The manager has discretion to shape his squad how he sees fit, but he doesn't have carte blanche to spend money the club doesn't have.

He also made a comment the other day about wanting to take more risks - I saw that as more likely to be a criticism of the transfer committee than the funds available to him. He maybe thinks the committee approach is too cautious. But with all of this, we need to remember that, when he signed, he said he had final say on transfers - I took that to mean that if the committee was recommending signing a player and he didn't want to do it, then we wouldn't sign that player. I'm not sure it necessarily means that if he wants to sign a player and the committee doesn't, that he has the right to go over their heads - I suspect in that situation he would need to get FSG (i.e. Mike Gordon) to OK it.

So I don't think the current situation is ideal, there's clearly a bit of tension there, but I don't think there's a major relationship problem.

I do think there is still money available to spend, but I think the current tension may be about the committee saying we should not panic-buy this week, and maybe set up a deal or two for January instead.

And finally, just a reminder that a lot of our spare cash is being spent on the Annie Road this year. I expect there to be more funds to spend next summer (it will be the first time in three years where we won't have a major capital project on the go), and this, perhaps, explains why we're OK letting some players run their contracts down. Realistically, given their injury issues, Keita and Ox wouldn't command much in the way of fees if they could be sold this month and Bobby isn't getting any younger so also doesn't have massive re-sale value. I expect next summer's window will see those players replaced by guys who are more viable long-term, and that there will be money available to do that. If there are opportunities to do those deals in January then some of them might be advanced (as we saw with Diaz in January this year).

stop being sensible! Go hysterical.

I thought Klopp was straightforward, no need to look for subtleties at all. ‘‘twas ever thus with transfers.

My real gripe is that we actually thought, with the workload before the World Cup, that midfield would have survived. And we’re actually surprised we’re in these straits?That’s just insanity.

Too sensible, beamrider.
I want new toys now.

The budget situation makes total sense, however, there should be something in case of emergencies too.
But understand the larger infrastructure investments could be tying our hands there too.

If we had a rainy day fund then people will scream we should’ve spent it three seasons ago. If we get an injection of £50 million people would want that every season.

Probably, but the midfield needs a boost, and has been obvious since Gini left. Now they are all two years older and the wear and tear is showing.

Fuck it, let’s just hand Ox and Naby new deals.

We knew that was the plan all along anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom