• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Vardy (or generally goal scoring issues)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah true, stats wise Kane is better, but then 24 goals in 36 games season before last... 6 in 5 this season...I just rate the pace I suppose...

A fast and fit Sturridge is a better player than either of them IMO... but then stats suggest otherwise eh...

I don't rate Kane much and Vardy is lightning fast and a dirty cheating little fucker.

Don't think we'll ever see that again, unfortunately.

Don't think we'll ever see that again, unfortunately.
No and that's the true sadness of it all.

I suppose what I'm saying is that at the minute none of the England strikers are really top notch scary opponents are they....

It seems I have stumbled upon a bunch of Kane fans but... nah... I've seen many MANY better strikers many of whom wore our shirt.

Oddly enough it might well be Kane's retarded face which puts me off... he just looks as though he's on the spectrum somewhere...

He ranks pretty high on the goal scoring spectrum that's for sure, I guess we can just content ourselves with the fact he looks a bit like The Penguin and hasn't signed for Utd yet.

He ranks pretty high on the goal scoring spectrum that's for sure, I guess we can just content ourselves with the fact he looks a bit like The Penguin and hasn't signed for Utd yet.

It's sickening really to get so badly sucked into a debate about 2 players I fucking hate but...

I actually just went in and had a look at the stats and sure enough Kane does win in many categories but Vardy wins on big chances created, crosses, shooting accuracy and assists... he was also playing for a team which was fighting relegation 2 out the last 3 years...

Yeah Kane scores goals but I'd still rather have Vardy.... and to put the cherry on the cake of my opinion I don't think either of them are anywhere near the cream of English striker over the past 30 years of watching. I also find it sickening that a Liverpool fan would write the word "brilliant" to describe Kane.

He isn't brilliant at all.

He ain't bad but he ain't brilliant.

I guess living out the country for years on end means I'm no longer tuned into the press creaming their load day after day about the new English wonder player...

It's just my opinion... Kane... he's alright player.... looks retarded... plays for a piece of shit team...

fab4.jpg
top6.jpg

[article]After a ruthless battering of Arsenal at Anfield, exactly one month ago, Jurgen Klopp spoke in the aftermath of a 'perfect' Liverpool performance.

Liverpool not only dazzled between both penalty boxes but they backed it up where it mattered, inside their own 18-yard box and the opposition's.

But as September draws to a close, Klopp has seen his side win just once in six, scoring only seven times and conceding 13.

The bare numbers make grim reading for a Liverpool side who remain easy on the eye but have become criminally wasteful in the early throes of the season.

In their last six games they have taken 121 shots for their paltry return of seven goals, leaving their conversion rate at just over five per cent.

By comparison the opposition have had only 49, 30 of them on target and 13 ending up in the back of the net - that's 26.5 per cent of all opposition shots resulting in a goal.

The much-vaunted 'Fab Four' - Roberto Firmino, Sadio Mane, Mohamed Salah and Philippe Coutinho - finally started a game together for the first time in the 1-1 draw away to Spartak Moscow on Tuesday night.

The starting eleven - the strongest hand available to Klopp - managed 16 shots on goal, and six on target. They conceded four, two on target, with one ending up in the back of the net from a free-kick.

Liverpool's lack of ruthlessness in both penalty areas is placing undue pressure on the other. The forward line know they must score because the defence will give up a presentable scoring opportunity.

The same is true for the defence, who know they must keep the ball out because the misfiring front line will not bail them out. It is a vicious circle.

The shaky defence takes the brunt of the criticism, but they are doing half of their job well enough. Liverpool have actually allowed their opponents fewer shots than any other team except Manchester City.

The problem is the type of chances Klopp's side are giving away. They have allowed their opponents nine shots on goal from inside the six-yard box this season, conceding five times. Only Bournemouth have allowed more.

New personnel and rotation have not helped Klopp's defence - with two of last season's first-choice back four, Nathaniel Clyne and James Milner - out of the picture.

While the defence are gifting goals to the opposition, Liverpool look profligate in front of the opposition net. But they are second in the league for taking shots outside the box, with 48.

That means 40 per cent of the shots they have taken in the Premier League this season have come outside the area. Only one has ended in the back of the net - Philippe Coutinho's free-kick at Leicester on Saturday.

The issue, then, is in chance creation rather than simply in front of goal. They have been impatient, shooting on sight rather than waiting for the better scoring opportunity by dragging the opposition around the final third.

Against Burnley Liverpool manufactured 35 attempts on goal, but 17 came from outside the box.

Compare Liverpool's wastefulness with the rest of the top six, and they are actually converting slightly more of their chances than either Arsenal or Tottenham. Though they have had 215 shots, compared to 151 and 176 respectively.

Chelsea, Manchester City and Manchester United are in a league of their own, with the champions' conversion hitting almost 20 per cent.

That Antonio Conte's side have had the fewest shots by some distance suggests they may be choosing their moments more wisely than the rest.

This is something Klopp must work on in the coming weeks, because they were doing it well enough this time a year ago, putting four and six past Leicester and Hull.
Klopp will expect that there is more to come from his 'Fab Four', and hope that increased game time will bring improved results. [/article]

Id quite like a cheating, nasty cunt

Last one we had nearly won us the league

Suarez is no saint, but "nasty" he ain't. Occasionally snacking on an opponent's shoulder may not be most people's idea of a good time but it poses nowhere near as much risk to the opponent as Vardy's tackles do. I wouldn't turn Vardy down out of hand myself either, but no way should we spend the £30-odd mill.he'd cost.

Suarez is no saint, but "nasty" he ain't. Occasionally snacking on an opponent's shoulder may not be most people's idea of a good time but it poses nowhere near as much risk to the opponent as Vardy's tackles do. I wouldn't turn Vardy down out of hand myself either, but no way should we spend the £30-odd mill.he'd cost.

The biting thing was strange. My theory is that Suarez did it when he wanted to change clubs. That's how we got him from Ajax and also lost him to Barcelona. I agree he was not in any way nasty or a cheat. When he was fouled, he went down in a theatrical way that looked as if he was diving.

tumblr_lho2q0P67a1qb7cobo1_500.jpg

Suarez.png

OK, so which bit of "Suarez is no saint" wasn't clear enough? Vardy regularly makes studs-up tackles which could end players' careers. There is a difference.

OK, so which bit of "Suarez is no saint" wasn't clear enough? Vardy regularly makes studs-up tackles which could end players' careers. There is a difference.
Will Vardy make us better? The answer is yes.

Costa was a cunt too, but we wouldn't turn him down. Vardy will be good for 3 seasons, and I would trade Sturridge for him.

You want clinical strikers? I'd have a look at Insigne and Immobile in Italy they're currently on fire.

You want clinical strikers? I'd have a look at Insigne and Immobile in Italy they're currently on fire.

Immobile completely flopped when Klopp bought him at Dortmund to replace Lewandowski, I doubt he will consider him again. Insigne does look on fire, but he is not a centre-forward.

Suarez Vardy is a score draw for me, both racist, both cheats, both nasty one with the boot the other with his gnashers.

Vardy would score well for us. But then so would any good striker, we just need to find one. I'm in favour of us playing a proper striker so, currently, that means Sturridge or Solanke. If they're not up to it, we need to find one (like we mentioned last May/June).

Suarez was a nutter, no doubt, but he was also one of the best players I've ever seen with a Liverbird on his shirt. I think Vardy would improve us, sadly because of Sturridge's loss of pace and persistent sick note.

Vardy dive against Matip he other day was excellent cheating, top class cheatery.

Whether he is super clinical is debatable but then again that would be about as fast as a forward line up a team could have...

Rather than spend 30m on Vardy I'd prefer to see Solanke given a run of games with Mane, Salah & Coutinho behind him.

I dare say they could make almost any striker look good, & he has the attributes to make the most of what they will inevitably provide, both indirectly by drawing defenders fucking everywhere & directly by creating chances for him & the follow up chances from their shots

Rather than spend 30m on Vardy I'd prefer to see Solanke given a run of games with Mane, Salah & Coutinho behind him.

I dare say they could make almost any striker look good, & he has the attributes to make the most of what they will inevitably provide, both indirectly by drawing defenders fucking everywhere & directly by creating chances for him & the follow up chances from their shots
In an ideal world it's worth a go, rather than playing solanke with the B team.

Hell, if solanke fails (which he wouldn't), ings deserves a go the poor bastard

I don’t want to be too harsh on solanke but he didn’t do his cause any favours after missing some easy chances in that first half dominance we had. same with studge the other night.

I don’t want to be too harsh on solanke but he didn’t do his cause any favours after missing some easy chances in that first half dominance we had. same with studge the other night.

You've gotta cut both of them some slack imo. Strikers thrive on playing, having a spell of games out or just playing occasionally for 20 minutes means they will almost all miss chances in a competitive match environment until they get a decent run under their belt. Some strikers need just a game or two, some need a few games, but nevertheless it's almost always a similarity amongst that breed of player.

You've gotta cut both of them some slack imo. Strikers thrive on playing, having a spell of games out or just playing occasionally for 20 minutes means they will almost all miss chances in a competitive match environment until they get a decent run under their belt. Some strikers need just a game or two, some need a few games, but nevertheless it's almost always a similarity amongst that breed of player.

This is a really interesting point and I was thinking about it this morning.

But it's about all players and the concept of "form".

Will start a thread when I work out what I'm trying to articulate.

Yes. The degradation of reserve football has a had a big impact on that. Instead of sitting on their arses watching first team games and training a bit, they should get at least a few run outs in reserve games. Even just 45 minutes. These days you need to be recovering from serious injury like Ings is to play any bloody football when you're not actually in the first XI on a regular basis.

This is a really interesting point and I was thinking about it this morning.

But it's about all players and the concept of "form".

Will start a thread when I work out what I'm trying to articulate.

It falls under the same thing you & I have both expressed in the past, that 'consistency' issue. The difference between professional players is almost always one of consistency rather than just talent, hence why you often see a cup game with lower league players who look like they could easily play at the highest level, they don't do that consistently enough for that to actually be the case though.

Equally so, those most consistent players are often the ones who come to 'form' more quickly than their peers.

There's probably a myriad of reasons, psychological & physical, to explain it, but it's kinda irrelevant, it is what it is, & therefore some players need gametime to find their form & dropping strikers in for half an hour & then not playing them again for a couple of weeks helps no one.

If Vardy was available for 30 million then he would be a good bet for our style of play. I think he has the desire and ruthlessness we seem to lack. Between now and deal time I would play Solanke as he's fresh and hungry.

By the way, Mike Brearley's new book, 'On Form,' is worth a read. Bleeding obvious at times, but also some fascinating insights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom