• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Vardy (or generally goal scoring issues)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw this tweet and thought this thread will be more appropriate place to post this instead of the Man Utd match thread.

Out of those 18 at least half are against us. We should buy him base on that alone.

We are wank against the cunt.

There's no ground in England that comes close to that atmosphere bar Anfield on a big CL night, so he'd be fine.
Not as sure as you on that one. Big European nights are few and far between and very few of us have experience other teams nights

Recent memort Anfield has been mostly shite

For the time being I would play Salah upfront with Milner on the rightside of midfield and the Ox on the left wing.
I mentioned Vardy purely because he is a player within budget and feasible. People might say he is expensive at 30 but what value do you place on a CL place?

For the time being I would play Salah upfront with Milner on the rightside of midfield and the Ox on the left wing.
I mentioned Vardy purely because he is a player within budget and feasible. People might say he is expensive at 30 but what value do you place on a CL place?

The problem with that is Salah couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo. We need a striker to snap up all those chances, and for me that man is Solanke.

The problem with that is Salah couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo. We need a striker to snap up all those chances, and for me that man is Solanke.
Fair enough, I desperately think we need Milner in the squad preferbly in MF. He was our top assist 2 seasons ago.

Last edited:

I wouldn't play the Ox on the left. He's right-footed AFAIK and better at providing chances than at taking them, so I reckon he'd be better on the right (from where his pace and strength caused the Mancs a few problems at the weekend). Salah can score, but not yet consistently, so I'd switch him to the left - he can still get in the box from there and can also trouble teams on the outside. I'd play Solanke down the middle with the instructions Shanks gave to Keegan all those years ago, namely "just go out there and drop a few grenades around the place".

The likes of Coutinho and Salah sometimes score great goals, but they are not strikers. For me, a striker is a guy who makes himself awkward in the penalty area and sticks the ball in the net with his arse.

The likes of Coutinho and Salah sometimes score great goals, but they are not strikers. For me, a striker is a guy who makes himself awkward in the penalty area and sticks the ball in the net with his arse.

A la McDonaald, Jordan, Ferguson, Shearer etc

Different era I think Portly. Drogba is the most obvious name I can think of since 2000, Kenny thought he could use Carol as the same sort of 'thug in the box' role but those days seem past.

Different era I think Portly. Drogba is the most obvious name I can think of since 2000, Kenny thought he could use Carol as the same sort of 'thug in the box' role but those days seem past.

There may be something in that, but in recent matches the number of nailed-on chances that our forwards have fluffed, makes me pine for the kind of opportunistic striker who can find a way of sticking that ball in the net! :D

Hernandez, even Defoe and Vardy have that trait, to pop up with tap ins. Not so much bully boys as opportunistic strikers.

There may be something in that, but in recent matches the number of nailed-on chances that our forwards have fluffed, makes me pine for the kind of opportunistic striker who can find a way of sticking that ball in the net! :D

I get it, & agree completely, I just don't think they need to be making a nuisance of themselves physically, simply always being on the spot to potentially knock a stray ball in, or making runs into those positions, opens the game right up, & given how many unsuccessful shots we have, & how many of those end up dropping into the six-yard box then a striker who instinctively knows where to be & when will add a lot to our side, even ignoring the extra space & time he'll give to the creative players behind him.

Currently Firmino is rarely playing off the shoulder of the last defender, & neither is Sturridge when he's on, so the defenders are able to just hold that infuriating line without worrying about a striker dropping his shoulder & turning them or beating them for pace on a through ball, so we simply pass it around hoping one of them has a brain fart until we have a low powered long shot (can no one in the side hit it with pace bar Coutinho?) conceding possession, or play it all the way back to the keeper, slowing the game down & doing exactly what the opposition wants. All of this invites pressure, nerves, leads to issues in the midfield & even the defence as the game wears on.

Alas, poor Vardy, his manager's been sacked. I don't want him, but I guess January now looks like his big chance of one last move.

Leicester have sacked Craig Shakespeare after a dismal start to the season at the King Power.
The Foxes are in the bottom three after just one win from their opening eight Premier League games.

Monday night's 1-1 draw at home to West Brom was the final straw for Leicester chiefs.
Shakespeare landed the Foxes job on a full-time basis following a successful spell in caretaker charge following the dismissal of Claudio Ranieri.

However, he has followed Ranieri out of the door, according to the Leicester Mercury.

I wonder how long Koeman has left? I'm hoping a full season at the least, it's entertaining watching them, even if we are a bit shit, cos they're worse.

That's a strange one. I was a tad apprehensive when he went there because he's the best managerial appointment they've managed to make in a generation, but it feels as though his heart was never really in it.

Already faced Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool. That said, only 1 win in last 10 PL matches under Shakespeare.

Last edited:
Bookies shortlist: Allardyci, Moyes, Pardew, Strachan and a whole load of "as if" candidates like Mancini and Gus Hiddink and whoever

Out of that lot I'm thinking maybe Pardew's the value bet. Allardbucket's rapid departure from Palace suggested to me that he's basically still in mourning over the England job; Moyes was a flop in a similar situation at Sunderland which, similarly, suggested to me that he may still bear scars from his experience at ManUre; and perhaps it's too soon for Strachan to jump straight into another tough job.

I think it's a reference to a previous occasion when Allardyce was interviewed for the England job but didn't get it. He said something then about how brilliant his presentation had been and that, if his name had been Allardici (i.e.if he'd been foreign), the job would have been his.

That's a strange one. I was a tad apprehensive when he went there because he's the best managerial appointment they've managed to make in a generation, but it feels as though his heart was never really in it.
He wants the barca job, so he's doing whatever stepping stones he can to work his way up. Everton was a step up from Southampton. Can imagine he wanted to turn them from also rans to something special, like poch at Spurs.

Problem is he's a bit thick and negative

As much as we cried over the lack of defensive signings; how the fuck did he think buying 5 attacking mids, no good strikers and zero pace for when bolasie is inevitably injured, would work?

AND their defence is aging and shite. Pickford will regret that move I reckon

Apparently they are targeting Tuchel. Really they've got about another season to try to piggyback on their title to try and attract manager and talent to get them to the next level of being a consistent Europa League team. It's not looking good though. They'll lose Vardy and Mahrez in the next 12 months for sure.

Kane is hardly a bully and is one of the best strikers in world football, same with Ageuro.

Kane is hardly a bully and is one of the best strikers in world football, same with Ageuro.

He's pretty strong and physical though.

Certainly doesn't have the pace of a striker like Owen and Torres, or the amazing skills of Suarez, but he's just very clinical and, like Rush, seems to have the knack of being in the right place, but also an uncanny sense of *when* to take a shot.

The amount of times Rush appeared to strike the ball just when the keeper was moving the other way, or was wrong-footed, or trying to set himself to make the save, was remarkable

And he's nearly as good as Fowler at hitting it right in the corners.

I say nearly, because Fowler was preternaturally gifted and just took the piss really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom