• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Who do you miss the most? (Injured players)

Prefix for Poll Threads

Who do you miss the most of our injured players?

• Thiago

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Trent

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Jota

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • Matip

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Allison

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Jones

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Gravenberch

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Modo

A contentious scando
So who do you miss the most out of our long-term injured players?
I've omitted Salah because he's just back and would be too obvious of a choice.

Last edited:
Objectively we miss Trent the most - he’s a match-winner, a truly world-class talent. But I have to admit, I don’t miss the endless debates about his best position - it’s been refreshing not to talk about it for a while.

… so I voted for Thiago, just for fun :)

Chose Alison, because even though Kelleher has been exceptional, it's only a matter of time before that debate will start when he doesn't save a 1v1 that only Alison could make look so simple.
VVD transfer transformed our side, Alison transfer made us complete.

Objectively we miss Trent the most - he’s a match-winner, a truly world-class talent. But I have to admit, I don’t miss the endless debates about his best position - it’s been refreshing not to talk about it for a while.

… so I voted for Thiago, just for fun :)
Conversely, I nearly made a post the other day saying I haven't really noticed Trent's absence. He's a supreme talent, but Bradley's emergence and Alexis stepping up in a creative role has really helped us cope with his absence relativity unfazed, maybe our lucks about to run out on that front though, because he's too good a player not to miss.

Jota.

We have nobody to replace what he does and there's no additional benefit of any of the replacements. Take Trent, we significantly lose his passing and creativity, but we arguably become more solid and have more width when Bradley starts, which can be used to our advantage. Nobody has the same positioning ability, pressing, instinctive finishing, or mazy runs that Jota delivers. Gakpo offers up all the threat of a damp dishcloth and Diaz has been improving his numbers of late and can hold a ball up better, but he's not at the same level. This title will be decided by two or three chances being taken or not taken across multiple fixtures and for that reason, I said a few months back if Jota stays fit I'd back us to be favorites to win the league. Now with everyone out it's easy to picture us finishing third, but Jota for me is the key absence. If the returning players want a league title then they're going to have to be switched on from their first game back. The time and competition allows no bedding in period.

Last edited:
Gakpo offers up all the threat of a damp dishcloth

7AZX.gif

To date we haven't really missed any of them !

Alisson - Kelleher
Trent - Bradley & Gomez
Jota - we're still scoring loads & winning
Matip - Konate and Quansah have been great
Midfield is probably where we've struggled to put out a strong 3 but Macca is back and Endo's been great.

I'd probably go for Thiago - not that we've missed him but it's a pity we'll never get to see him alongside Szobo and Macca. What a three that would've been.

To date we haven't really missed any of them !

Alisson - Kelleher
Trent - Bradley & Gomez
Jota - we're still scoring loads & winning
Matip - Konate and Quansah have been great
Midfield is probably where we've struggled to put out a strong 3 but Macca is back and Endo's been great.

I'd probably go for Thiago - not that we've missed him but it's a pity we'll never get to see him alongside Szobo and Macca. What a three that would've been.
Are we though? In the two tough games we've had since Jota's injury we've scored last minute goals.

I probably miss watching Trent the most, but I think the teams misses Jota the most. Those instinctive goals out of nowhere to get us ahead or alleviate pressure when we need a cushion is huge.
Agreed, it's Jota for me too.
Trent is one of a kind and so is Jota in our squad. I believe we would have had at least 4 more points if he didn't miss the Brighton, Arsenal and Man U games.

Agreed, it's Jota for me too.
Trent is one of a kind and so is Jota in our squad. I believe we would have had at least 4 more points if he didn't miss the Brighton, Arsenal and Man U games.
It's all a tad wishing thinking though isn't it? What about the games we dropped points he didn't miss? Chelsea, City, Luton? He also played the 3-1 loss at Arsenal. Never turned up to any of them, had a massive chance at Luton wish he fluffed his lines.

We simply didn't create near enough in those other games, Jota wouldn't have been able to do much to help with that.

Jota.
Our firepower is going to help win us titles.
The ability to bring off 2 big guns and bring on Gakpo and another shooter in Darwin/Jota/Diaz is what will overwhelm the majority of teams.

Right now, we don't have that option off the bench.

The international break has come at a good time for us. Hopefully Mo, Alli, Curtis, Gravvy and Diogo are back by then, and we'll be able to have a strong bench to look to again. And as long as we are with 2-3pts of the leader (or leading), we have a good chance.

Jota.
Our firepower is going to help win us titles.
The ability to bring off 2 big guns and bring on Gakpo and another shooter in Darwin/Jota/Diaz is what will overwhelm the majority of teams.

Right now, we don't have that option off the bench.

The international break has come at a good time for us. Hopefully Mo, Alli, Curtis, Gravvy and Diogo are back by then, and we'll be able to have a strong bench to look to again. And as long as we are with 2-3pts of the leader (or leading), we have a good chance.

I thought he was out of the year - what's the prognosis?

It's all wishing thinking though isn't it? What about the games we dropped points he didn't miss? Chelsea, City, Luton? He also played the 3-1 loss at Arsenal. Never turned up to any of them, had a massive chance at Luton wish he fluffed his lines.

We simply didn't create near enough in those other games, Jota wouldn't have been able to do much.
Chelsea was start of season, we were not settled then.
City was a fantastic point. We needed everyone in that game and a bit of luck to get a 1-1.
Luton, Darwin had all the big chances and blew them.
Arsenal is a fair point but I don't think we ever got enough control of the game in the midfield, and just when we were getting a foothold, we gifted them a 2-1 goal, and then got a man sent off.

Chelsea was start of season, we were not settled then.
City was a fantastic point. We needed everyone in that game and a bit of luck to get a 1-1.
Luton, Darwin had all the big chances and blew them.
Arsenal is a fair point but I don't think we ever got enough control of the game in the midfield, and just when we were getting a foothold, we gifted them a 2-1 goal, and then got a man sent off.
Doesn’t matter to me if it’s start of season or end of it. It was also the start of the season for Chelsea. You get the nod to play you’re expected to show up.
Jota arguably had the biggest chance of them all at Luton when Grav slipped him in. Darwin mostly took potshots from range apart from the one Salah nodded down to him.
City was a good point yes but that’s not an excuse for some of your players not to show up.

It's all a tad wishing thinking though isn't it? What about the games we dropped points he didn't miss? Chelsea, City, Luton? He also played the 3-1 loss at Arsenal. Never turned up to any of them, had a massive chance at Luton wish he fluffed his lines.

We simply didn't create near enough in those other games, Jota wouldn't have been able to do much to help with that.
Yeah and when we were misfiring and he got back from injury he pretty much carried our attack.

Yeah and when we were misfiring and he got back from injury he pretty much carried our attack.
“Carrying our attack” isn’t an accurate description though is it? That’s someone who scores all your goals and all your match winners. He was doing his part in a free scoring side.

We scored 4 against Fulham, Newcastle and Brentford where he didn’t score. 5 against Norwich and West Ham in the cups….when he didn’t even play. Got 1 goal when we put 4 past Chelsea.

“Carrying our attack” isn’t an accurate description though is it? That’s someone who scores all your goals and all your match winners. He was doing his part in a free scoring side.
He was behind almost every goal we scored during a certain period.
Regarding the Arsenal game, all I can say is he can't do it alone. If I remember it correctly he was isolated up front and we had a knackered team.
We also gave away two goals. Who knows how it would have gone if Ali and Van Dijk didn't mess up.

We scored 4 against Fulham, Newcastle and Brentford where he didn’t score. 5 against Norwich and West Ham in the cups….when he didn’t even play. Got 1 goal when we put 4 past Chelsea.
Yeah I really can't be arsed to look it up, but it's funny you mention Brentford for example and nothing about his assist to Nunez

Yeah I really can't be arsed to look it up, but it's funny you mention Brentford for example and nothing about his assist to Nunez
It was a great assist…..a game we won 4-1 in. How does that constitute to him “carrying our attack”? I’m lost with that 1

Jota.

While I do think we miss Trent's creativity and set pieces, we have enough players who can pull a good pass or a decent corner out the bag. We've also stumbled across a brilliant right back in his absence.

Jota is a match winner probably even more than Trent is, he's lethal when he's fit. If we'd kept him fit I'd have a lot more confidence about winning the title. The inclusion of Trent doesn't instill that same confidence. Mainly because Jota would likely be a direct match winner more often and because of all the baggage that comes with Trent's return (best position, downturn in defensive resilience, etc).

It was a great assist…..a game we won 4-1 in. How does that constitute to him “carrying our attack”? I’m lost with that 1
Well the first goal eases the tension right? Forces the opposition to move up cause they can't really defend a loss. So it's an important contribution. Just like his contributions against Chelsea too.

Screenshot-2024-03-06-16-50-00-527-com-brave-browser-edit.jpg

Goal or assist in every league game since he got back from injury except the Arsenal game.
Pretty significant imo.

Back
Top Bottom