• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Buy one player in January

Prefix for Poll Threads

Which position?

• DM

• RB

• RW

• CB

• Other, please elaborate...

• I'm happy with what we have this season

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Modo

A contentious scando
With a little more than a month left to the next transfer window, I'd like to pick your brains about our current squad situation.
If you could choose to sign one player, what position would you strengthen?

OK, before you go, "well obviously a DM", there are certain things to consider.
We already have 8 players (Szobo, Macca, Gravy, Jones, Harvey, Endo and two dead ones who might be resurrected around January) competing for spaces in midfield.

Salah is vacationing in Africa in January and Jota just got injured, but he will probably be back before Christmas.

Are you happy with our right-backs?

Is it a good time to get Matip's replacement?

Last edited:
I'll start.
I'd normally pick a DM, but the game today against City, seeing Trent at times being almost non-existent on the right, worried me a bit.
It's not a surprise to anyone that I want Trent in midfield. What I saw today just confirms that he doesn't want to play in defence anymore. It's not about the goal.
I feel like he's a bit stand offish in defence, he doesn't really commit when trying to win the ball. He usually just dangles a leg instead of trying to get closer to the player.
Yes, that's the hobby psychologist speaking.
Anyway...I picked RB.
Move Trent to midfield. Move Szobo to the left and release him.

But, if you want to keep Trent on the right. Then it has to be a DM.

Voted DM although it's a close one between that and a RB, only went for a DM as it's a position I feel is of more importance.

But it depends on the calibre of player out there that we can get, Hakimi v Andre for example...gimme Hakimi all day long.

Voted DM although it's a close one between that and a RB, only went for a DM as it's a position I feel is of more importance.

But it depends on the calibre of player out there that we can get, Hakimi v Andre for example...gimme Hakimi all day long.
Oh no doubt

I’m still on the DM train, ultimately i don’t think endo will work so and badger is having his struggles so that’s high priority.

However i haven’t forgotten the chaos caused by a few Saudi links for Mo. His output doesn’t lie but he is slowing and seeing Doku today reminds me of the old Mo who was such a threat it had teams yards deeper and living in fear. I think we’re keeping him until contract end but if there’s someone out there remotely similar then we should be talking to them.

When Bajcetic, Robbo, Bradley and Thiago come back it will be hard to make an argument that we need urgent reinforcements mid-season. Next summer we will have a few big players to replace, but I don't think Klopp will do anything in January.

I'll start.
I'd normally pick a DM, but the game today against City, seeing Trent at times being almost non-existent on the right, worried me a bit.
It's not a surprise to anyone that I want Trent in midfield. What I saw today just confirms that he doesn't want to play in defence anymore. It's not about the goal.
I feel like he's a bit stand offish in defence, he doesn't really commit when trying to win the ball. He usually just dangles a leg instead of trying to get closer to the player.
Yes, that's the hobby psychologist speaking.
Anyway...I picked RB.
Move Trent to midfield. Move Szobo to the left and release him.

But, if you want to keep Trent on the right. Then it has to be a DM.

He was one of our best players today but was non existent? Weird.

I’d buy a young player to bed in at either CM and LCB.

He was one of our best players today but was non existent? Weird.

I’d buy a young player to bed in at either CM and LCB.
The goal helped. I didn't think he did well defensively today, Doku went past him with ease. Hell, even Ake got past him like he wasn't there.

As the Coconut man said, Frimpong is a player who'll be attracting serious interest from top clubs soon as I'd imagine a lot of the Bayer side will be. Their form is incredible.

Give me Jeremie Frimpong and Yangel Herrera/Hicham Boudaoui

The goal helped. I didn't think he did well defensively today, Doku went past him with ease. Hell, even Ake got past him like he wasn't there.

A bit of a mixed bag, to be honest. On one hand Doku is one of the most in-form wingers in Europe, nullifying him wasn't really possible for any defender. I thought Trent played him smartly at times, showing him on his right knowing that a teammate will help. But 3-4 times Doku was able to breeze past him on the left and deliver a low cross and that wasn't good enough. And in a few instances Trent's defending was genuinely bad, although the worst example was against Ake. Overall, I would say Trent wasn't "destroyed" by Doku, but he was definitely overmatched.

Last edited:
That compilation wasn't as bad as I was expecting (having missed some of the game).

How many right-backs are stopping Doku running at them in a 1v1 situation? It's a really tough ask.

As for the question of the thread... unless we're really struggling, I don't think restructuring the team mid-season is the way to go.

I think I'd like a young explosive attacker (someone like Doku would be ideal actually). That'd probably give us the most bang for our buck mid-season and I'm not convinced by our attacking options (particularly if we lose Salah).

We need a competent DM. That would help Trent in the hybrid role, that would help stabilise the AMs so they can be more unleashed.

How many right-backs are stopping Doku running at them in a 1v1 situation? It's a really tough ask.
Agree. I've given Trent stick today, but that's in the heat of the match grievances. He did fine today, and was mainly let down by the system we have today.

I'd kill for Diaz to be more like doku

We are just missing a DM that's all. A commanding, comfortable on the ball, tackling and covering machine to complete the spine of the team.

Dunno who that can be, but if we found one the difference in the side would be enormous. We have so much going for us but lack that central pivot.

Really? Wouldn’t want Diaz to be any different. I’d kill for Jota to be more like Doku though.
Diaz holds the ball to long for me. Doku tries to beat a man and then looks for the pass. Diaz tries to beat a man. Then another. Then another.

He plays like a quicker Colombian benayoun

Diaz holds the ball to long for me. Doku tries to beat a man and then looks for the pass. Diaz tries to beat a man. Then another. Then another.

He plays like a quicker Colombian benayoun

Klopp will fix it, hopefully. He needs more work on his passing; you can see he has no confidence when he needs to find a partner like in that failed switch to the right which would have put Salah and Gakpo through. I think his game was more balanced in his first half-season with us, although he wasn't scoring much, lately he has added more goals, and link-up play will be the next thing to take him to a new level.

Klopp will fix it, hopefully. He needs more work on his passing; you can see he has no confidence when he needs to find a partner like in that failed switch to the right which would have put Salah and Gakpo through. I think his game was more balanced in his first half-season with us, although he wasn't scoring much, lately he has added more goals, and link-up play will be the next thing to take him to a new level.

Hopefully you're right, but the more it goes on he seems more and more brainless in the creative stakes

Diaz is the least of our front five but fuck not bad for fifth choice!

Diaz is the least of our front five but fuck not bad for fifth choice!

Agree! But the problem is that left wing, for all its depth, it's the most inconsistent part of us. Jota is very hit and miss, as is Diaz..gakpo hasn't really proven itself on the left yet

Agree! But the problem is that left wing, for all its depth, it's the most inconsistent part of us. Jota is very hit and miss, as is Diaz..gakpo hasn't really proven itself on the left yet

Might be time to give Darwin a run at LW.

Might be time to give Darwin a run at LW.
My only issue with that is gravy/Jones/whoever are very much cut inside CMS rather than stay deep. I think it'll get congested or Nunez will have to stay wide, which removes a lot of his usefulness, other than pace

My only issue with that is gravy/Jones/whoever are very much cut inside CMS rather than stay deep. I think it'll get congested or Nunez will have to stay wide, which removes a lot of his usefulness, other than pace

Jones was fine providing width on the left last season when Gakpo was through the centre & Nunez was inverting from the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom