• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

6 Nations 2011

Personally JJ i think this Irish side is overdue to put in a decent 80min performance. At home against the english could well help to bring it out of them.

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=43754.msg1300964#msg1300964 date=1300384591]
Personally JJ i think this Irish side is overdue to put in a decent 80min performance. At home against the english could well help to bring it out of them.
[/quote]

Fucking hell Rafa, you fancy everyone to beat England.

I can't rememeber the last time when nearly all of the 6 nation games have been so tight. Apart from England v Italy there has hardly been more than a few points between each side.

I've got a feeling that might change in the France/Wales match mind.

[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=43754.msg1300797#msg1300797 date=1300360568]
I'm glad Sexton's playing. I was a bit worried about ROG having one of those days where he finds the corners with every kick.
[/quote]

That's what I was hoping for tbh.

We aren't the type of side who can blow teams away in the same style that Leinster do at club level. Sexton suits that kind of game but the Irish game plan of a few fatties taking ball up in the 10 channel before releasing the backs suits ROG better.

We could get badly beaten tomorrow unless our forwards dominate

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=43754.msg1301829#msg1301829 date=1300474388]
I wouldn't disagree ;)

In this case though i honestly think that the Irish have a very good chance.
[/quote]

Obviously they do. It would hardly be a shock if Ireland won this match, and in the long term it might not do this young England team any harm if they did.

But IF - big if - we can rediscover the sort of efficiency and game intelligence we showed against Wales and Italy, I think we can do it.

How much rugby has Banahan played at 13 ?

He should be a handful when attacking but I wonder about the defensive side of his game at 13.

Banahan's played there increasingly often for Bath over the past 18 months or so, and Johnno's said they always saw him ultimately making the move inside for England.

Defence has never been a cornerstone of his game on the wing either TBH, though your lads will know about it if they get hit by that much beef on the hoof.

I don't think too many of our backs will try to take him on straight up one on one (O'Brien will though) , I just wonder about his positioning and reading of the game. It could be something we exploit if he isn't up to the task.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=43754.msg1302017#msg1302017 date=1300546068]
I don't think too many of our backs will try to take him on straight up one on one (O'Brien will though) , I just wonder about his positioning and reading of the game. It could be something we exploit if he isn't up to the task.

[/quote]

D'Arcy and O'Driscoll were saying as much in an interview I read (on the BBC website) earlier today.

If Ireland had to play like this for the other 4 games both teams would have been going for the slam.
Ireland have been superb but I expect England to be alot better 2nd half once Johnson gets them in.

Southern hemisphere = rubbing hands in glee at inept performances of northern hemisphere over 4 games; bring on the world cup

Great display by the Irish!

Sexton, Wallace, Bowe, BOD and O'Connell were all superb (even ROG did well when he came on ;) ).

Congrats to England on winning the title, but this match must prove without a doubt that they are clearly not as good as they were being made out to be.

It was an outstanding performance from us, but there was an element of England letting us have our way as well - poorest performance from them all year by a distance. They never really tested out what our weaknesses might have been, e.g. Earls under the high ball. Once we outfought them at the beginning they seemed to just accept it and let us get on with it until Johnson emptied the bench.

There were a lot of excellent performances in our pack - our front row was immense. Best and Healy had massive workrates and everything they did was of good quality. Wallace had his best performance of the year, all 8 played well and played hard.

We just seemed to play at a higher tempo today and Reddan was getting the ball away from the breakdown very well and it gave the backs a bit of room to move. Bowe was his usual self but Trimble didn't get the opportunities he deserved but he put in a very solid. performance.

Hard to complain about anything today to be honest.

Ireland weren't all that, they were very solid and started the game at a rapid tempo which seemed to totally catch England off guard.

England were shocking in the first 40 in comparison.

Errors, individual errors cost them the first half, match and grandslam.

Ireland destroyed us first half. I was worried about a rout at one point. It didn't end up like that but we never looked like coming back either. No complaints, no excuses - we were beaten by the better side.

Kenny, England have got steadily worse over the last four matches so in some ways I can't really argue with you. I do think there's the nucleus of a very good side there - and it's certainly miles better than anything we've had since 2003. But there was a good piece on the Beeb site today pointing out that the current England side is closer to the 1999 version (where you lot beat us to prevent the Grand Slam) than the 2003 version. I think that's about right. We've got the makings of a good side, but we're nowhere near world-beaters yet.

And we haven't actually won the tournament yet, have we? If Wales beat France by 26 pts, it's yours, as far as I understand.

Congrats to a true rugby legend in BOD as well, for becoming the 6 nations top try scorer.

Bunny: Like i said congrats on your title win ;) .

Well done Ireland, well and truly deserved, they were 17-3 up at half time and deserved the win... However the ref had a true shocker from the sin bin onwards. There were at least 3 high tackles from Ireland which went unpunished at crucial times.

But take nothing away from Ireland, even if they went Englands way, Ireland would have probably found another gear.

Come on the French *spits*

[quote author=Mr_V link=topic=43754.msg1302123#msg1302123 date=1300561992]
Well done Ireland, well and truly deserved, they were 17-3 up at half time and deserved the win... However the ref had a true shocker from the sin bin onwards. There were at least 3 high tackles from Ireland which went unpunished at crucial times.

But take nothing away from Ireland, even if they went Englands way, Ireland would have probably found another gear.

Come on the French *spits*
[/quote]

Nah, I want Wales to win. Preferably they should be 50pts up at half-time, and then somehow cock it up so they only win by 25pts.

Very much thanks to our Italian friends, i think we could get a proper kicking tonight.

I think we've got 6 players under 22 starting, very unusual for a rugby team.

Back
Top Bottom