• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

AFCON and ASIA Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Gorst
@ptgorst
Mohamed Salah's injury is being played down by those close to the Egypt camp as #LFC await an official update from the Pharaohs. Unlikely to feature against Cape Verde but few fears it is a serious one at the moment.
I don't know how to read this, some fear it's more serious or it's not serious at all? Klopp mentioned in the presser that LFC may send their own medics, we better fly ours over especially with Quiroz did with him in the last AFCON.

Not many teams in Africa can sub a player like Pape Sarr and bring Gana Gueye.

Not seen the Asian Cup. The African Cup is laughably abysmal, as always. It's like non-league with a couple of worldie players in it.
That Bebe free-kick, brilliantly hilarious. Shite standard.
I'll watch the semis I think, the rest is worse than Eastenders.

jn5d9hcntgdc1.jpeg

Issue here for Euro 24 and the next World Cups. All this hardly getting eliminated from the groups is bollocks.

24 teams in the Groups, 16 go through. Fuck that, what's the point of the groups? Shite.

Issue here for Euro 24 and the next World Cups. All this hardly getting eliminated from the groups is bollocks.

24 teams in the Groups, 16 go through. Fuck that, what's the point of the groups? Shite.
Isn’t that similar to Euros now though?
Better quality yes but still watered down and will be the same for Next World Cup. Group stages will become irrelevant.

It is becoming a trait. As soon as the desired last ... is no longer a base 2 multiple then the competition is made so the the smallest group of 'must qualify' teams fits

In the case of the AFCON they had 12 teams that needed to pre-qualify (eg super shit), then 42 + 6 remaining super shit played in 12 mini-leagues of 4 to select the 24 qualifiers (2 of which only had 3 teams due to disqualifications). This gives them 2 teams out of the 4 qualifying from the mini-league - 12 x 2 = 24

Effectively they have more than 8 sufficiently strong teams to make a tournament of 16 politically unviable and not enough strong teams and resources to justify 16 teams to go to a 32 format

Last edited:

It's obvious isn't it. More games more money for FIFA and fuck the players.

It is becoming a trait. As soon as the desired last ... is no longer a base 2 multiple then the competition is made so the the smallest group of 'must qualify' teams fits

In the case of the AFCON they had 12 teams that needed to pre-qualify (eg super shit), then 42 + 6 remaining super shit played in 12 mini-leagues of 4 to select the 24 qualifiers (2 of which only had 3 teams due to disqualifications). This gives them 2 teams out of the 4 qualifying from the mini-league - 12 x 2 = 24

Effectively they have more than 8 sufficiently strong teams to make a tournament of 16 politically unviable and not enough strong teams and resources to justify 16 teams to go to a 32 formai c
I could correct you on the "base 2" bit, but that would be predictable.

Suffice to say there are only 10 types of people in the world ...

I could correct you on the "base 2" bit, but that would be predictable.

Suffice to say there are only 10 types of people in the world ...
2^4 and 2^5 being the options I suggest they couldn’t fit to

Watching the Jordan - S.Korea game. The Arab ref is acting a bit suspect. Did his best to not give the Koreans a pen. A five minute review for a clear pen.

There's a big chance that Egypt could fail to make the last 16. If they lose to Cape Verde (top of the group with 2 wins and a better team - though may rest players), then they'll finish 3rd but with just 2 points and a negative goal difference it may not be enough to finish as one of the better 4 x 3rd place finishers and qualify (there are 4 level or better than them as it stands).

Last edited:
There's a big chance that Egypt could fail to make the last 16. If they lose to Cape Verde (top of the group with 2 wins and a better team - though may rest players), then they'll finish 3rd but with just 2 points and a negative goal difference it may not be enough to finish as one of the better 4 x 3rd place finishers and qualify (there are 4 level or better than them as it stands).
I don't think Egypt will make the semis anyway, so hope Salah is back by the beginning of Feb and make it for Arsenal.

//

Egypt, however, still hope Salah could play a role at the tournament.

"We are hoping to catch him in the semifinals of the Africa Nations Cup in case of qualification," the EFA said in a statement.

I think this is good news. Mo will be well rested in Liverpool. Our doctor's will no doubt play it cool and perhaps only let him go if there is a semi final for Egypt. It isn't the end of the world for us if he has 2 weeks resting/recovering with us, then flies out to try and win AFCON without having to slog out 2-3 extra games before the semis / final.

I think this is good news. Mo will be well rested in Liverpool. Our doctor's will no doubt play it cool and perhaps only let him go if there is a semi final for Egypt. It isn't the end of the world for us if he has 2 weeks resting/recovering with us, then flies out to try and win AFCON without having to slog out 2-3 extra games before the semis / final.
Winter break init?

Egypt are shite - they are never making the semis.

Egypt are shite - they are never making the semis.

Which is great. We can make it show like we care "we'll get you fit for the semis, lad" knowing that we are actually rehabbing him for Arsenal in the PL.

Egypt would have to come last for him to be available for the Chelsea game by my workings?

And they would need to lose the round of 16 for him to be made available for Arsenal?

Which is great. We can make it show like we care "we'll get you fit for the semis, lad" knowing that we are actually rehabbing him for Arsenal in the PL.

Egypt would have to come last for him to be available for the Chelsea game by my workings?

And they would need to lose the round of 16 for him to be made available for Arsenal?
Egypt don't have to finish 4th. They play Cape Verde next - lose that by a couple and they are almost certainly going to be the 5th or 6th worst 3rd place team ... and out (they could still finish 4th though highly unlikely, they'd have to lose by 3 or 4 whilst the other match is a draw).

Egypt don't have to finish 4th. They play Cape Verde next - lose that by a couple and they are almost certainly going to be the 5th or 6th worst 3rd place team ... and out (they could still finish 4th though highly unlikely, they'd have to lose by 3 or 4 whilst the other match is a draw).

Oh nice. Didn't quite know the permutation for the third placed finishers.

Come on the Verde!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom