• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Darwin Nunez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's just going to be central and thats the end of it.

I'm wondering if we're about to see a massive(ish) shift in playing style from klopp

play with a midfield base of thiago and fabinho; where we can rotate in milner, henderson ketia. some one in front of them who's more creative, ,like fabio, keita, elliot or jones. hell, maybe even fun bobby. Then a standard front 3, with some rotational options like jota and bobby for the 9, elliot and fabio for wide

Diaz Nunez Salah

Fabio

Thiago Fab

I'm wondering if we're about to see a massive(ish) shift in playing style from klopp

play with a midfield base of thiago and fabinho; where we can rotate in milner, henderson ketia. some one in front of them who's more creative, ,like fabio, keita, elliot or jones. hell, maybe even fun bobby. Then a standard front 3, with some rotational options like jota and bobby for the 9, elliot and fabio for wide

Diaz Nunez Salah

Fabio

Thiago Fab

You gotta admit, if Diaz keeps going the way he had been, Salah rests and returns to form and Nunez plays the way he did against us that is a pretty powerful 3. More so that the start of last seasons with Mane struggling and Bobby not really doing much.

Diaz Nunez Salah

Fabio

Thiago Fab

I think that the plan is that Elliott and maybe Carvalho can carry the ball forward from central midfield and we probably don't need to have the central forward dropping as deep anymore.

This was in response to the Tweet @SummerOnions added which said €6m Euros net - the ask from the agent of a foreign player moving to the UK is nearly always net, and Euro equivalent.

Fair do's, if in response. My blocker settings mean I don't see all twitter by default, but I would still be dubious. We don't pay our wages like that as a rule, so doubt this is different, but we'll see what the club journos reckon when he signs.

That blooper reel killed any excitement I had about this deal. I'm expecting Andy Carroll without the headers.

Fair do's, if in response. My blocker settings mean I don't see all twitter by default, but I would still be dubious. We don't pay our wages like that as a rule, so doubt this is different, but we'll see what the club journos reckon when he signs.
No worries. A player's contract would normally be denominated in sterling (I never saw one denominated in foreign currency) and wages etc. would be stated gross. During the negotiation stage, the agent will usually ask for a Euro net position, particularly if he isn't familiar with the UK tax system. From their perspective, this hedges the player against currency and tax regime risk - they understand Euro net, they don't know what sterling gross will mean in practice. The club would then calculate a sterling equivalent for the contract by:
- converting the Euro net to a sterling figure using a prevailing exchange rate; and
- converting the net to a gross figure taking into account the known tax system at the time.
That's how it works in practice - I did these calculations loads of times for overseas players moving to the UK and I replicated that calculation when giving my gross estimates. We would usually provide our workings to the agent so he knew the gross figures were OK.
I don't think the gross figures thrown out look out of kilter in this case, bearing in mind this is a guy with a reported potential transfer fee of €100m (including add-ons). It's possible that we'll have negotiated some of the €6m as performance related, so his basic may be a little lower than implied.

I think that the plan is that Elliott and maybe Carvalho can carry the ball forward from central midfield and we probably don't need to have the central forward dropping as deep anymore.
That's what I'm hoping for. For so long we've not had willing attacking runs from our midfield

Yep. This is how I see it too.

Diaz/Jota ------ Nunez/Jota ------ Salah/Elliott

-------------- Carvalho / Bobby / Keita

Robbo ------------------------------------------ Trent
(Tsimikas) ---------------------------------- (Ramsey)

---------- Thiago / Hendo / Milner

--------------------- Fabs / Hendo / Milner

-------------- VvD / Konate / Matip / Gomez

-------------------- Alisson
------------------ (Kelleher)

Nunes has very good ball-carrying abilities, but doesn’t use them often enough as he usually stays up front on the defenders’ shoulders. I think Klopp will find a way to use that aspect of his game more. From what I’ve seen of Carvalho, he’s more of a combination and between-the-spaces player - not sure he has the running power and physicality to carry the ball the way someone like Mane does.

Nunes has very good ball-carrying abilities, but doesn’t use them often enough as he usually stays up front on the defenders’ shoulders. I think Klopp will find a way to use that aspect of his game more. From what I’ve seen of Carvalho, he’s more of a combination and between-the-spaces player - not sure he has the running power and physicality to carry the ball the way someone like Mane does.
He's 19 years old ! Let's see what he's like after a couple of years with Klopp & Co.

Nkunku appaz signed a new deal. Release clause of 60 mill € activated in 2023.
Wont be leaving this summer which makes it even fewer alternatives to Nunez.

I've seen both €6m and €6m net banded about.

Multiple reports of €210k per week too (and a few lazy articles of £210k per week) which works out about £185k.

I really should stop refreshing every few hours.

I'm just excited to see Diaz and Nunez switching all game. One likes to cut in.. the other likes to drift wide. If he can adapt and do the same on the right.. what a baller we will have.

More thoughts on ball-carrying. I think people who haven't seen Darwin Nunez play much and are going off misleading comparisons with Cavani (or Andy Carroll, for some reason) are not aware just how good he is at carrying the ball forward at speed. You can see this whenever he ends up on the left wing – with the ball at his feet he can easily blow by players using his acceleration, power and speed, not too dissimilar to the younger Mane. This aspect of his game wasn't fully used at Benfica, where he was instructed to stay on the defenders' shoulders most of the time – this way he wasn't involved in the build-up, but as soon as his teammate had the ball in a position to pass, he would come alive and make various clever runs on the blind side of the defender trying to get on the end of a long ball or a through ball.

That strategy was effective in a team otherwise starved of attacking talent, but I suspect Klopp will not be content with his centre-forward just hanging out up front and letting his teammates do all the build-up work – Nunez will have to come deeper to get the ball and challenge the defenders to follow him or he will drop to the left wing and help progress the ball with his dribbling, like Mane did, before laying it off to a teammate and sprinting into the box for the finish. Klopp will not suddenly change our whole playing style to having an isolated "target man" up front; instead Darwin Nunez will have to learn a few new movements (already using his pre-existing skill-set – just applying it differently) to fit Klopp-ball.

Watch this and notice the similarities to Mane:

Last edited:
More thoughts on ball-carrying. I think people who haven't seen Darwin Nunez play much and are going off misleading comparisons with Cavani (or Andy Carroll, for some reason) are not aware just how good he is at carrying the ball forward at speed. You can see this whenever he ends up on the left wing – with the ball at his feet he can easily blow by players using his acceleration, power and speed, not too dissimilar to the younger Mane. This aspect of his game wasn't fully used at Benfica, where he was instructed to stay on the defenders' shoulders most of the time – this way he wasn't involved in the build-up, but as soon as his teammate had the ball in a position to pass, he would come alive and make various clever runs on the blind side of the defender trying to get on the end of a long ball or a through ball.

That strategy was effective in a team otherwise starved of attacking talent, but I suspect Klopp will not be content with his centre-forward just hanging out up front and letting his teammates do all the build-up work – Nunez will have to come deeper to get the ball and challenge the defenders to follow him or he will drop to the left wing and help progress the ball with his dribbling, like Mane did, before laying it off to a teammate. Klopp will not suddenly change the style to having an isolated "target man" up front; instead Darwin Nunez will have to learn a few new movements (already using his pre-existing skill-set – just applying it differently) to fit Klopp-ball.
100% he did that effectively against us. He'll have to do it week in.. week out.

Honestly , I've wanted him since we played against him and I've not been this excited about a signing in yonks!

He looks man-made for the prem , technique,speed, strength in abundance and I almost think someone of his versatility very much future proofs us against the potential of losing Salah in the next 12 months.

Klopp revamped the back 5 over 12 months and it looks like the forward line is going very much through the same process, albeit from an infinitely stronger position.

Replacing Mane in a dynastic team is no mean feat.....

Honestly , I've wanted him since we played against him and I've not been this excited about a signing in yonks!

He looks man-made for the prem , technique,speed, strength in abundance and I almost think someone of his versatility very much future proofs us against the potential of losing Salah in the next 12 months.

Klopp revamped the back 5 over 12 months and it looks like the forward line is going very much through the same process, albeit from an infinitely stronger position.

Replacing Mane in a dynastic team is no mean feat.....
I haven't heard the word yonks in donkey years.

Hahahaha, that's hilarious. Didn't United offer the exact same amount (and higher salary) to buy the player they are now saying would be a "grave error?"

Gonna save the article for reference purposes - hopefully for the right/good reasons.
Man Utd convinced Liverpool will make a familiar mistake with Darwin Nunez transfer

[article]United appear to have made a decision on Nunez, with ESPN reporting that they will not pursue his signature due to the threat of being drawn into an expensive bidding war.

As a result, United believe that Liverpool may well be making an error in splashing out a huge sum - believed to be in the region of £85million - on the 22-year-old despite his eye-catching record. The Red Devils have been guilty of spending frivolously in recent seasons.

The Old Trafford outfit paid huge fees for the likes of Paul Pogba, Harry Maguire, Jadon Sancho, Angel Di Maria, with little to no success to show for their huge expenditure. Of course, it remains to be seen whether Nunez will be a success in the Premier League following his expected switch to Anfield, but Jurgen Klopp has already expressed his admiration of the striker.[/article]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom