• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Darwin Nunez

Status
Not open for further replies.
United going for the mature “we didn’t want him, he’s shit anyway” approach.
They could be right, we are signing someone who reminds us of Andy, and when we signed Andy we broke our transfer recordback then. My worry is, that we are not gonna get a midfielder this season who is a Jedi

Haven't seen much of this guy except for the matches against us. Watched the highlights at lunchtime and the thing that struck me most is his finishing.

3 one v ones against Allison and he scored each time which is impressive considering how good Allison is those situations.

If that match is a good indicator, he'll probably be the best finisher at the club.

The downside, he was offside for those 3 opportunities

Without reading the whole thread, how is he like Carol apart from the shit hair?

He *is* actually quite tall, isn't he?

I don't know why, but I thought he was relatively shortish. Maybe cos the only time I remember him was up against Big Virg?

He'll cost what 80M? We get 40M for Mane, so the cost is 40M. We'll definitely sell him, you'd think @ 27 for more than 40M in five years time (if not sooner) at his peak (27). Am I wrong here?

He'll cost what 80M? We get 40M for Mane, so the cost is 40M. We'll definitely sell him, you'd think @ 27 for more than 40M in five years time (if not sooner) at his peak (27). Am I wrong here?
You are not wrong. Apart from we might keep him longer than 5 years.

More thoughts on ball-carrying. I think people who haven't seen Darwin Nunez play much and are going off misleading comparisons with Cavani (or Andy Carroll, for some reason) are not aware just how good he is at carrying the ball forward at speed. You can see this whenever he ends up on the left wing – with the ball at his feet he can easily blow by players using his acceleration, power and speed, not too dissimilar to the younger Mane. This aspect of his game wasn't fully used at Benfica, where he was instructed to stay on the defenders' shoulders most of the time – this way he wasn't involved in the build-up, but as soon as his teammate had the ball in a position to pass, he would come alive and make various clever runs on the blind side of the defender trying to get on the end of a long ball or a through ball.

That strategy was effective in a team otherwise starved of attacking talent, but I suspect Klopp will not be content with his centre-forward just hanging out up front and letting his teammates do all the build-up work – Nunez will have to come deeper to get the ball and challenge the defenders to follow him or he will drop to the left wing and help progress the ball with his dribbling, like Mane did, before laying it off to a teammate and sprinting into the box for the finish. Klopp will not suddenly change our whole playing style to having an isolated "target man" up front; instead Darwin Nunez will have to learn a few new movements (already using his pre-existing skill-set – just applying it differently) to fit Klopp-ball.

Watch this and notice the similarities to Mane:
Cant remember when I last saw Sadio - or Mo to an extent - go past a man. Its why Diaz was such a breath of fresh air.

So there's ball carrying and there's burning past your man. (And keeping control of it, cos he's got an end product if he can get in a decent position)

From what weve read he's also a bit of a fox in the box, which we've missed. Maybe Jota has shown that. Im remembering Fowler....

Mix in heading and he really could have it all. Be nice if we're comparing him with Henry or Ibrahimovic in a few years time.

I get your point, but if he's a success we'll be looking to renew his contract after a few years to take him to near 30.

FSG only get funny with contracts when the player is approaching 30. At this point you would hope he would hold his purchase value given the relentless inflation within football. In 8 years strikers will be going regularly for £130m plus if current trends continue.

Every time I think about Andy Carroll Im always reminded of that horse gif where the horse slips on a massive ball. Painful memories. Don't anyone dare post it.......

My abiding memory of Andy Carroll was when he banged us playing for Newcastle. Sure, was a freak game but he was unplayable. Shame he never harnessed that
It all went to his head quickly. He never really wanted to join us, but Newcastle jumped at our offer. After he joined us, he was always in student bars in Liverpool getting shit faced and trying to punch anyone who took a photo of him. Only has himself to blame for how his career panned out. All those injuries aren't a coincidence.

If hes with us 5 years, unless he renews or he signs for longer than 5years, he'll walk away on a free.

So if he comes, after 3 years FSG will see if it's worth extending his contract or cashing in...

You are wrong that things cost less when you sell other things.

His cost will be 80 million but his cost over the contract is offset by significantly lower wages at the onset compared to Mane. If he's worth the same as mane is now, when he's 27 then he will have been overpriced.

Every time I think about Andy Carroll Im always reminded of that horse gif where the horse slips on a massive ball. Painful memories. Don't anyone dare post it.......

Well this horse like Nunez is great with his head..

73b9c25647f8b427c41a0622d5aa033e.gif

Last edited:

Yes Sigh, but it would not be if we were not spending so much money on this guy. I just don't get it, really don't get it at all that we are spending this much money on this player. The only comfort I can take from this - is that he scored against our defense which I regard as one of the best in the world, those four central defenders we have in Ibu, VVD, Matip, and Gomez - on their day are the bollox. But we play a high line so he had space to run into. But he gave them a hard time, so hoping he can do that against the other defenses. He also has pace which means we could still do speedy counter-attacks.

As if being stuck in the mid 80s wasnt bad enough, we've gone full retro with Jono posting his horse gifs and people questioning our usually spot on transfer policy. Next up its Armani suits and "welcome to Liverpool" threesomes for all the players.

I’m very excited about Uruguayan Benteke.

If this guy turns out to be a flop - I don't think he will mentally last here. He needs to get 40 goals in his first season, and then we will say "One season wonder ?" - then he will score 20 goals the following season and he will be known as a flop. Just got this feeling.....

If this guy turns out to be a flop - I don't think he will mentally last here. He needs to get 40 goals in his first season, and then we will say "One season wonder ?" - then he will score 20 goals the following season and he will be known as a flop. Just got this feeling.....
Didn't you have a feeling Lucas Moara was going to be a beast in the PL? Klopp's gets a lot more right than wrong, just have faith. Yes, the fee is outrageous, but thats the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom