• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Downing

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=barrymac20 link=topic=44931.msg1365077#msg1365077 date=1310647810]
[quote author=livvy185 link=topic=44931.msg1365060#msg1365060 date=1310647051]
For Oncy:

@REALMADRID_NWS REAL MADRID NEWS

Liverpool make a bid for Real Madrid striker Higuain to join the Red's
#realmadrid#RMNWS#YNWA
[/quote]

I thought you were messing but this is actually true. Well its true that its going around twitter, so its probably not actually true at all.
[/quote]Its well nice of the global Liverpool community to fabricate a rumour just for the benefit of me and Keniget. Makes me feel proper important.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=44931.msg1365076#msg1365076 date=1310647807]
[quote author=Vlads Quiff link=topic=44931.msg1365074#msg1365074 date=1310647719]
I asked to join the DA too

regards
[/quote]Yeah you need to let Avvy know, my sig is full.
:)

WE ALL BELIEVE!!!
[/quote]

I've increased sig space. Just because you need it and I care.

So I am coming in late to this, on US time. It seems the price is actually 14/-16 M, will add on's only for CL qualification..and trophies..

So we just got Charlie Adam and Stewart Downing for 21/23M together in an inflated market.

Considering this, is anyone still opposed to the financial side of this deal?

Seriously, it's a fecking bargain.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=44931.msg1365076#msg1365076 date=1310647807]
[quote author=Vlads Quiff link=topic=44931.msg1365074#msg1365074 date=1310647719]

regards

WE ALL BELIEVE!!!
[/quote]

I would gladly give my space up to Vladders and join Avvy's platoon.

[quote author=DHSC link=topic=44931.msg1365126#msg1365126 date=1310653908]

regards

WE ALL BELIEVE!!!
[/quote]

I would gladly give my space up to Vladders and join Avvy's platoon.
[/quote]

How very gracious of you DHSC, but not to worry , Sunny is sorting the issue

regards

For me its as fucking bizarre a signing as it is really miserably dissapointing, so few teams play with wingers nowadays lots of teams going in for the ticky tacky style etc and more narrow formations but we seem to want to go back to having a bloke to ping in crosses for the big man upfront... makes sense i spose once you've overspent massively on a big man upfront.

55M on Carrol and Downing.... one unproven piss artist who disrupted our play wonderfully last time I saw him play and the other one of the least exciting wingers of all time.

27 as well!! Plenty of time not to really get any better...

Aces, just aces.

Fifty Five million to get some old fashioned headed goals.

Fucked off with this no end, in terms of dissapointment its totally fucked this transfer window for this fan, dream on for any more signings i reckon, the only consolation is that its better than selling our star players like in recent years...

Now thats of my chest and depression and anger aside it would be silly not to wish him well because he's what we've got now so.... Best of luck Stewart! I really hope you prove me completely fucking wrong.

Give us 20M quids worth of crosses/goals.

[quote author=Modo link=topic=44931.msg1365133#msg1365133 date=1310654278]
Good. Thanks for the info localny
[/quote]

I think someone else pointed this out, not me. Unless you are playing with me ;)

[quote author=Molbystwin link=topic=44931.msg1365134#msg1365134 date=1310654316]
For me its as fucking bizarre a signing as it is really miserably dissapointing, so few teams play with wingers nowadays lots of teams going in for the ticky tacky style etc and more narrow formations but we seem to want to go back to having a bloke to ping in crosses for the big man upfront... makes sense i spose once you've overspent massively on a big man upfront.

55M on Carrol and Downing.... one unproven piss artist who disrupted our play wonderfully last time I saw him play and the other one of the least exciting wingers of all time.

27 as well!! Plenty of time not to really get any better...

Aces, just aces.

Fifty Five million to get some old fashioned headed goals.

Fucked off with this no end, in terms of dissapointment its totally fucked this transfer window for this fan, dream on for any more signings i reckon, the only consolation is that its better than selling our star players like in recent years...

Now thats of my chest and depression and anger aside it would be silly not to wish him well because he's what we've got now so.... Best of luck Stewart! I really hope you prove me completely fucking wrong.

Give us 20M quids worth of crosses/goals.
[/quote]

This is very negative mate. no? We just got Downing for 14M and Adam for 7. That's a great price (my new mantra)

That post is just hysterical. I'm loathe to actually rely on youtube compilations, but even by watching that much you can see that alot of what he produced was either via goals or good crosses and passes ON THE DECK in the final third. It's typecasting to say the least. I'm sure it's an asset that we can use - a good crosser coupled with strong aerial ability, but it's not his only trait.

Some people need to stop judging players on paper or looking through the pigeon-hole they themselves have placed the player in, and instead just look at the facts.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=44931.msg1365145#msg1365145 date=1310654881]
That post is just hysterical. I'm loathe to actually rely on youtube compilations, but even by watching that much you can see that alot of what he produced was either via goals or good crosses and passes ON THE DECK in the final third. It's typecasting to say the least. I'm sure it's an asset that we can use - a good crosser coupled with strong aerial ability, but it's not his only trait.

Some people need to stop judging players on paper or looking through the pigeon-hole they themselves have placed the player in, and instead just look at the facts.
[/quote]

Come of it Mark, you can post all calm and collected as you so wish but that don't mean you arent talking pish.... Hysterical?

Yeah... alright.... whatever you say. I am pissed right off with the way the windows gone.

As for looking at the facts try these;

1. Stewart Downing is a run of the mill player in his mid twenties who is not worth 20M in a month of blue Sundays.
2. A month ago you would have agreed with me.

135 - Stewart Downing has completed more crosses in open play than any other player in the Premier League over the last three seasons.

421 - Since Aug 2004, only 4 players (Lampard, Fabregas, Gerrard & Giggs) have created more PL chances than Stewart Downing.

7 - Stewart Downing registered seven assists in the 2010-11 Premier League - only 12 players recorded more.

We're now being told 14m. Not 20.

He cost villa 12, & has gotten better, & British players are worth more now.

We've also got shitloads more cash to spend, so don't worry.

I don't know where you find the time to dig out all these little snippets but keep it up Binny. You're a legend.

[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=44931.msg1365159#msg1365159 date=1310655815]
We're now being told 14m. Not 20.

He cost villa 12, & has gotten better, & British players are worth more now.

We've also got shitloads more cash to spend, so don't worry.
[/quote]

Better.... I still don't fancy him as a player but....14M is 6M pounds more acceptable.

[quote author=Whitey85 link=topic=44931.msg1365160#msg1365160 date=1310655865]
I don't know where you find the time to dig out all these little snippets but keep it up Binny. You're a legend.
[/quote]

Na, just lacks originality. :-[

Check out this link for EPL stats: http://twitter.com/#!/Optajoe

it's certainly not a glamorous signing, but what it does give us is two very distinct attacking threats: one through carroll now that we can play to his strengths, and the other through suarez and the kind of team play we saw under dalglish last season. it's not going to be one or the other, it will be both and will give the opposition a lot more to think about and make it harder to contain us

[quote author=Molbystwin link=topic=44931.msg1365157#msg1365157 date=1310655676]
[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=44931.msg1365145#msg1365145 date=1310654881]

[/quote]

Come of it Mark, you can post all calm and collected as you so wish but that don't mean you arent talking pish.... Hysterical?

Yeah... alright.... whatever you say. I am pissed right off with the way the windows gone.

As for looking at the facts try these;

1. Stewart Downing is a run of the mill player in his mid twenties who is not worth 20M in a month of blue Sundays.
2. A month ago you would have agreed with me.
[/quote]

1. Well reports are now suggesting, much like with the Adam transfer, that the deal is initially alot lower.
2. No I wouldn't, infact read my first post in this thread from three months ago which I quoted earlier. Regards him being worth £20m, I've said over a dozen times in this thread that I don't think he's worth that much, an opinion you and others keep continually overlooking to suit your argument.

I wonder if we get dto 179 pages if the same people are going round in the same circles with their negativity.

[quote author=the_dude link=topic=44931.msg1365165#msg1365165 date=1310656336]
it's certainly not a glamorous signing, but what it does give us is two very distinct attacking threats: one through carroll now that we can play to his strengths, and the other through suarez and the kind of team play we saw under dalglish last season. it's not going to be one or the other, it will be both and will give the opposition a lot more to think about and make it harder to contain us
[/quote]

I think that's a fair point that some folk seem to be overlooking, we also have Gerrard, Suarez, Ming, Maxi and maybe even Aquilani, all who like to play with the ball at their feet. It's about variation and an alternative option. It's amazing, all the football purists in this thread moaning about our extra ability to play direct if needs be are probably the ones who laugh at Arsenal for still not having a Plan B. The price of the players is irrelevant, it's just another string to our bow not THE only string.

[/quote]

Yeah ! We will not be contained and at the other end they will not pass..

Dhsc, the far eastern platoon is way awesome. Welcome!

Binny only 12 players better than Downing in 2010/2011 for assist? Bet some of them might be cheaper than 14 million?

Doubt its as low as 14m.

Although Liverpool's latest offer for Downing has not been disclosed by either club, the England star is believed to come with a price tag of £20 million. The Reds previously had previous bids of £12million and £15 million rejected.

Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner told the Mail: "I can confirm that we have reached an agreement with Liverpool following an improved offer received earlier today and the submission of a formal transfer request by Stewart Downing and have subsequently given them permission to speak to the player."

[quote author=Binny link=topic=44931.msg1365189#msg1365189 date=1310659236]
Doubt its as low as 14m.

Although Liverpool's latest offer for Downing has not been disclosed by either club, the England star is believed to come with a price tag of £20 million. The Reds previously had previous bids of £12million and £15 million rejected.

Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner told the Mail: "I can confirm that we have reached an agreement with Liverpool following an improved offer received earlier today and the submission of a formal transfer request by Stewart Downing and have subsequently given them permission to speak to the player."
[/quote]

It still amounts to the same thing Binny, only this way it's structured with the 'possibility' of it reaching X amount. The initial fee might still be £14m.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=44931.msg1365173#msg1365173 date=1310657290]
[/quote]

I think that's a fair point that some folk seem to be overlooking, we also have Gerrard, Suarez, Ming, Maxi and maybe even Aquilani, all who like to play with the ball at their feet. It's about variation and an alternative option. It's amazing, all the football purists in this thread moaning about our extra ability to play direct if needs be are probably the ones who laugh at Arsenal for still not having a Plan B. The price of the players is irrelevant, it's just another string to our bow not THE only string.
[/quote]

Well said Man. We have a lovely looking footballing side emerging. Hell, if Cole got his act together, we might have another play-maker who can roam in and out of the wing. As we saw under Benitez, you don't need the best players to play well, if you have a good manager. And Kenny will bring out the best in everyone - so look at Downing and add 30% more effectiveness under Kenny. I think some of us are rightly still suffering from post Gillette and Hicks PTSD. The war is over lads. We don't have to fret as much.

PS: Adams and Downing for 22M together combined is a bargain. Well played Kennoli.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom