• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Injury Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joyce reporting that Matip can be back for the Utd game. That would be great for us to say the least.

Well the problem surely is partly financial. Next season our centre back pairing will be VVD and one other, most likely Gomez (and Gomez's agent is clear that unless he's a regular he'll move to a London club asap, so people can forget about him settling into a back-up role). So if we go for another really top CB now, on top wages, he's either going to replace Gomez next season or become an overly-expensive sub as well as, in FSG's eyes at least, blocking the development of the young CBs.

And if we go instead on a short term replacement, good enough to play ahead of the kids this season but probably not good enough to partner VVD on a regular basis, he'd probably need to come on loan to persuade FSG to do the deal.

And those two options are based on the presumption that the right players are available on those terms. I'm sure Klopp wants another CB, but unless FSG can be convinced that a signing won't undermine player development and/or end up being an expensive sub, I can't see them sanctioning anything.

Thats a possibility, but a player whonis unavailable for long spells cant presume to be first choice for a club competing at the top. Its entirely possible he could up stumps in a hissy fit and see who makes him an offer, but I doubt we would be letting him go cheaply and the number of interested parties might be diminished by his current predicament. Hes unlikely to play again this season making him an unknown quantity, his contract runs for another 3 years so he hardly had the upper hand in that sense either. Would Spurs, Arsenal or West Ham pay £40m+ for him? I doubt it, Chelsea maybe but do they need him?

Thats a possibility, but a player whonis unavailable for long spells cant presume to be first choice for a club competing at the top. Its entirely possible he could up stumps in a hissy fit and see who makes him an offer, but I doubt we would be letting him go cheaply and the number of interested parties might be diminished by his current predicament. Hes unlikely to play again this season making him an unknown quantity, his contract runs for another 3 years so he hardly had the upper hand in that sense either. Would Spurs, Arsenal or West Ham pay £40m+ for him? I doubt it, Chelsea maybe but do they need him?

It's not MY plan! His agent will not let the situation run on for very long, regardless of those issues.

134909490_10216662918276893_390835897837837888_o.jpg

It's not MY plan! His agent will not let the situation run on for very long, regardless of those issues.

There are alot of agents who have overplayed their hand only for their client to spend the remainder of their career regretting it. I like Gomez, I hope he stays and works hard to get back in the team. But he isnt in a position to make any demands right now regarding who we sign and any step he takes from here is a step down. Id expect cooler heads to prevail.

Isn't Upameccano supposedly much more like. Gomez in style than VVD?

If so you'd assume he's Gomez replacement?

VVD current situation excluded, he's reliable, unlike every other ecb we have. Despite how talented the are (Matip would arguably be the second best cb in Europe imo when fit).

Well the problem surely is partly financial. Next season our centre back pairing will be VVD and one other, most likely Gomez (and Gomez's agent is clear that unless he's a regular he'll move to a London club asap, so people can forget about him settling into a back-up role). So if we go for another really top CB now, on top wages, he's either going to replace Gomez next season or become an overly-expensive sub as well as, in FSG's eyes at least, blocking the development of the young CBs.

And if we go instead on a short term replacement, good enough to play ahead of the kids this season but probably not good enough to partner VVD on a regular basis, he'd probably need to come on loan to persuade FSG to do the deal.

And those two options are based on the presumption that the right players are available on those terms. I'm sure Klopp wants another CB, but unless FSG can be convinced that a signing won't undermine player development and/or end up being an expensive sub, I can't see them sanctioning anything.

Oh dear when did he say that? Is it something that has been reported? Or inside news?

Kind of makes sense to go for someone like Botman.

At his age he’ll not be demanding starts every game and there’s a decent length of time to phase him in - by the time he’s starting to approach his peak - the older CB’s will be being phased out.

With Gomez & Matip’s injury record - he’d be almost guaranteed decent playing time - as would Rhys & Koumetio.

Nate Phillips is the one to lose out, unfortunately.

Kind of makes sense to go for someone like Botman.

At his age he’ll not be demanding starts every game and there’s a decent length of time to phase him in - by the time he’s starting to approach his peak - the older CB’s will be being phased out.

With Gomez & Matip’s injury record - he’d be almost guaranteed decent playing time - as would Rhys & Koumetio.

Nate Phillips is the one to lose out, unfortunately.
Two days.

Yeah - he’s 20 - get him him - get him playing a few games - Rhys and Nate along with Fabinho will have to cope for now.

I don’t see an oven ready CB available at a reasonable price - by that I mean someone who could rock up and slot right in the way VVD did.

There’s plenty of younger players around that we can bed in over the rest of the season.

I dunno - if someone top notch is available- yeah great - but don’t think a big purchase is likely to happen this window.

Gomez's agent can fuck off! If Gomez can't stay fit, and he has had a catalogue of injuries, he can fuck off with his agent to London too.

Any news on when Jota is back ?

Still a few weeks away according to Klopp, hes doing light training but hes still wearing a knee brace so hes not able to participate in full team training yet let.

He wont make the Utd game but he could get a run out in the next round of the Cup if he needs match sharpness

I don't know how much it's been publicised - it certainly HAS been to some extent - but it's a well-known stance in PL circles.

Tragic if true. He has to be alive to the fact that he's not going to be guaranteed games anywhere, whether in Liverpool or a mid table London side.

So, if Virgil is traiing with the ball, what does that mean in terms of schedule for return? Is this what would be expected or is he ahead of or behind schedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom