• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LFC Loan Watch 2023-24

Not been a great return to action for Ramsay with Preston losing at home to QPR.

Unsurprisingly looks very leggy, hopefully within a few weeks he'll be back to full sharpness.

Shame to see Woodburn barely looking like a championship player given all the promise he had when he was coming through.

Not been a great return to action for Ramsay with Preston losing at home to QPR.

Unsurprisingly looks very leggy, hopefully within a few weeks he'll be back to full sharpness.

Shame to see Woodburn barely looking like a championship player given all the promise he had when he was coming through.

That's why I've become more and more pessimistic regarding the promise of our youth/reserve players. Maybe I should say 'realistic', because in order to make it at LFC you have to be on a different level.
If Elliott, Jones and Bajcetic played in the Championship, they'd probably make the team of the Year.
I want to add Quansah, Doak and Bradley to that list but I need to see more.
A special mention to Connor Bradley who obviously played in League one but managed to help Bolton win a trophy and was their Player, Players' Player and Young Player of the Year.

That's why I've become more and more pessimistic regarding the promise of our youth/reserve players. Maybe I should say 'realistic', because in order to make it at LFC you have to be on a different level.
If Elliott, Jones and Bajcetic played in the Championship, they'd probably make the team of the Year.
I want to add Quansah, Doak and Bradley to that list but I need to see more.
A special mention to Connor Bradley who obviously played in League one but managed to help Bolton win a trophy and was their Player, Players' Player and Young Player of the Year.

Yeah I understand those sentiments of the first few sentences.

It's why I hammer home about the importance of kids needing to play, no matter what level they start at. Staying in our u21s until they're 20/21 doesn't do anyone any favours. It's kids v kids, send them on loan and prepare them for a man's game. Look how well it's done Bradley, Quansah and Harvey.

& the importance of having a wider scouting network, Liverpool academy filled with local lads only isn't enough to survive. More players like Doak and far more like Bajcetic needed.

Yeah I understand those sentiments of the first few sentences.

It's why I hammer home about the importance of kids needing to play, no matter what level they start at. Staying in our u21s until they're 20/21 doesn't do anyone any favours. It's kids v kids, send them on loan and prepare them for a man's game. Look how well it's done Bradley, Quansah and Harvey.

& the importance of having a wider scouting network, Liverpool academy filled with local lads only isn't enough to survive. More players like Doak and far more like Bajcetic needed.

Well in some cases the talent is so obvious that they make it all the way. Recent examples being Trent and Curtis, possibly Bajcetic.

I honestly agree with you that some of our players would benefit more from being on loan, but have they been wrong yet?

I mean have we let someone go from our youth/reserve team the last 10 years who went on to do great things somewhere else?

Possibly Conor Coady but lets be honest, at best he'd be our 5th choice.

Wilson is a decent PL player

Neco still has lots to prove.

[article]Dundee fullback Owen Beck hopes for the chance to prove himself at parent club Liverpool.

Beck scored in Saturday's defeat to Hibs.

"I've spoken to them (Liverpool) regularly and they are happy for me to be here," he said.

"I am playing and improving and those are the main reasons why I am happy.

"Going back to Liverpool (in the summer) won't be easy but if I get the chance then hopefully I can prove myself."

On his first goal, he added: “I'm proud to score my first goal for Dundee," he said.

"It just fell to me and I just had to put it in the net. It was quite an easy finish to be fair. I think after they went down to 10 men I think we showed real team spirit and I don't think you can knock us.

"It is just a matter of us not taking our chances and on the day it just wasn't meant to be. I feel even the games we have lost have been harsh and tight margins. We can turn that around and we will keep pushing. Saturday was a bit of a kick in the teeth and we just need to bounce back."[/article]

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...opp-kids-head-Belgium-Europa-dead-rubber.html

[article]Liverpool are considering recalling Rhys Williams from his loan at Aberdeen after the defender has failed to make a single appearance in the Scottish Premiership since joining in June, according to sources north of the border.

Williams, 22, has made 19 appearances for Liverpool, including a flurry of starts during an injury crisis in 2020-21 and has spent time on loan at Swansea and Blackpool since.

But the Reds are set to take stock in January of their defensive options after a long-term injury to Joel Matip.

It could see Williams recalled to help ease the burden on the likes of Jarell Quansah and Joe Gomez, who are deputising well in central defensive positions, though he could be loaned out again.

Liverpool have not ruled out making a move for a defender in the transfer market. Any deal could come in the form of a short-term, cheap move - but they could decide that the form of young Quansah is enough to convince them not to rush into any decision.

A new long-term central defender has long been thought as top of their wish-list in 2024 after overhauling the midfield last summer.[/article]

Don't think it's anything to do with the forums, I think it's Elon Musk up to his little tricks with tackling down on copyright infringes and all that shit. Everything on twitter seems unviewable.

Tyler Morton is getting some rave reviews by Hull fans, the biggest one being he'll go on to play for England.

[article]Tyler Morton speaks with such a profound maturity that it's somewhat surprising to catch him fall speechless, albeit only for a brief moment.

"I still get goosebumps even listening to that," giggles the midfielder after a short pause as he's reminded of his Champions League heroics in a 2-1 victory over AC Milan at the San Siro in December 2021, momentarily lifting the veil on the teenager who rose to stardom at Anfield as his boyhood club, Liverpool, chased an unprecedented quadruple in the 2021/22 season.

These days, Morton can be found in Cottingham, Yorkshire, as he and the rest of his Hull City team-mates begin their preparations for an unforgiving festive period that will have a significant bearing on whether Liam Rosenior's class of 2024 will be the one that ends the Tigers' seven-year exile for the Premier League.

Two years on from being handed a surprise start at one of European football's most famous arenas, Morton is preparing for a visit to Bristol City's Ashton Gate on Friday night knowing that three points in the South West could see Hull sneak into the Championship's top-five ahead of Christmas day.

"I’m really focused at the moment, especially because the festive period is the hardest part of the Championship season," says the 21-year-old, speaking exclusively to the ECHO at Hull City's Mill House training ground. "I was looking at the schedule the other day and I couldn’t believe it! There was a game every three days but that’s why I love it and that’s why I’m here."

Few could have predicted the impact the Wirral-born midfielder would have on a Tigers side reinvigorated by Rosenior's spirit when he swapped Anfield for the MKM Stadium in September after signing with the Championship side on a season-long loan.

Prior to that, Morton had spent nearly five months on the sidelines and saw his pre-season schedule mainly limited to lengthy rehabilitation sessions with physio Tony Jones, who the midfielder credits with restoring his focus, at Liverpool's AXA Training Centre as he bid to recover from a broken foot that had cruelly and prematurely deprived him of a thrilling end to the 2022/23 season with Blackburn Rovers.

"It was a tough pre-season for me being injured and not knowing what I was doing, really," explains Morton, candidly reflecting on the hidden hardships of the profession. "I kind of like, wouldn't say lost my head, but I kind of had to refocus and get back to what I love because when you’re out for a little while you start losing your head a little bit."

Little did the midfielder know, though, that an unexpected break from the ruthless rigour of professional football would allow him a vital opportunity to reflect on a successful 47-game season at Ewood Park in what was his first spell away from his familiar surroundings of Merseyside.

"I had to get refocused and by refocusing I was watching a lot of Championship games and getting myself prepared for what could be and, yeah, I watched Hull. I had played against Hull the season before but it was like a completely different team, a different style, a different way of playing and I loved it," replies Morton, asked why he signed for the Tigers. "I loved watching them and I had a couple of mates here, it was brilliant. Liam Delap spoke [highly] of the manager when I spoke to him, it was class and it really pushed me to come here. I’ve never been happier about a decision in my life, to be honest."

As the Championship season reaches the halfway point, Morton's spell at the MKM Stadium can, so far, certainly be viewed as a major success for both player and club. Just last week the 21-year-old fended off competition from players across 72 sides in the Championship, League One and League Two to be named as the EFL's Young Player of the Month for November, while last month saw the midfielder's excellent form rewarded with a first appearance for England's under-21s.

"I feel like that was a big motivation for me and a big, real boost of confidence. I say it a lot but confidence is massive for myself and I feel like getting the recognition like that gives me confidence," says Morton on his recent league-wide award. "I couldn’t do it without the players and the fans at Hull because the confidence I’ve got is from being at this club and, yeah, being liked at this club; having the trust of the players, the fans, the staff. They let me go out and do what I do best and I feel like I’m really showing that at the moment, but I always feel like I’ve got a long way to go to be where I want to be. I feel like this part right now is what I need to keep a hold of because I love football, I absolutely love it. I enjoy every minute of it.

"Sometimes it’s hard, sometimes it’s good. When it’s good you need to keep hold of that feeling and when it’s bad you need to motivate yourself to push yourself on. I feel like I’ve had a bit of everything so far in only this year-and-a-half, two years of playing professional football but I feel like I’ve taken everything in my stride and I’m ready to push on."

Primarily playing in a two-man pivot in front of the back four, Rosenior's faith in Morton has allowed the 21-year-old to, at times, be utilised as a more free-roaming box-to-box midfielder. Such trust has been afforded due to the midfielder's almost telepathic-like understanding with engine room partner Jean Michael Seri, which has seen the Reds loanee notch his first professional goals this term.

Against Cardiff last weekend, Morton returned to his familiar role of patrolling the back four and, this time, from deep produced a sensational 60-yard diagonal for Ozan Tufan to apply the gloss on a comfortable 3-0 victory.

"I just love being versatile. That’s what I’ve always said: I want to be a versatile midfielder," adds the midfielder. "You see the best midfielders in the world, the likes of Jude Bellingham. If you want him to play 'six', he’ll play 'six'. If you want him to play '10', he’ll score you goals. That’s the type of player I want to be.

"I want to be someone who’s trusted in many positions for different reasons and I feel like that’s the direction I’m heading. I feel like in the ''six' I control the game, I feel like in the '10' I can create and that’s what I’m doing at the moment. I’ve been given that freedom to really get in the box and show that side to my other game that I didn’t really show last season as much as I wanted to, but this season I’m getting more freedom to go ahead because the coaching staff are top quality and they can see it in me that I can get forward, I can score, create. I’m so grateful to them for the help they have given me and the trust they have given me to explore that side of my game, which I always had when I was a kid.

"That’s what I’ve always wanted to be. Every lad that’s from near Liverpool wants to be Steven Gerrard, don’t they? I’d love to be that type of player, the box-to-box, doing both sides of the game."

So, is the goal to replicate Steven Gerrard's Anfield heroics? Morton replies with a laugh: "If I was a tenth of what Steven Gerrard was I’d be absolutely buzzing. He was incredible, wasn’t he? He was not only all that football [skill] but he was a leader as well. I’d love to be that type of footballer. That’s what I aspire to be: a leader on and off the pitch.

"That’s what I need to get in my game and push myself to be, and I feel like I could be if I really put my mind to it, a leader on the pitch. You’ve got to grow a personality and really push yourself and be that type of player, but definitely, I think everyone aspires to be that type of player; the all-round midfielder. But I’d never compare myself to Steven Gerrard."

Born in 2002, although Morton's progression to the first team came long after the Reds' iconic No.8 had left Anfield that didn't stop him from soaking up everything on offer at the AXA Centre from some of Liverpool's modern-day greats as he relished the prospect of studying Thiago Alcantara, Fabinho and Jordan Henderson.

"Everyone always asks 'Did you take a lot from Fabinho or Thiago [Alcantara]?' Obviously yes, because I studied them before I even trained with them. I still watch clips of them now even though I’ve played with both of them, it’s mad," says Morton. "I absolutely love the way they both play, I love the way Henderson plays, too. I think he’s an all-round midfielder as well, which I’ve said I aspire to be.

"It’s brilliant, there’s no better feeling than training with people that you watch. I used to go to most of the home games with my dad and it was fantastic, so going to train with them I was a bit stunned at first but once you get to speak to them and get to know them on a deeper level that’s when you settle in."

Now, three years on from first being called up to train with the first team at Kirkby, Morton, nine appearances into his Liverpool career, has already started Premier League and Champions League ties at Anfield, the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and the San Siro.

"It was beautiful, a lovely night, especially at the San Siro but making my debut at Norwich City was the biggest one," reflects the 21-year-old. "I didn’t expect to come on, at half-time I was messing around, booting the ball in the air and Pep Lijnders called me in. It was a surreal feeling. It motivated me to want more, luckily I earned the trust of the manager to play in more games and even start a Premier League game, which was brilliant for me. Coming out on loan has made me love the game even more and somehow I've really enjoyed this loan more than any other season.

"I’ll continue to enjoy it but just being here and having the confidence I’ve got right now, which I'll hopefully take into the part of the season. Hopefully, this is going to be a real season to remember, and I feel like it will be."

As the interview draws to a close, Morton reveals the whereabouts of the treasured shirt he wore at the San Siro against AC Milan: "I gave it to my dad because my he's a massive Red. I put it in a frame for Christmas [2021] and they’ve got it up in the living room."

Indeed, should all go to plan between now and the end of the season, Morton could go one better next Christmas as he sets his sights on acquiring another iconic shirt for his dad - this time from a possible Play-Off final at Wembley in May 2024.

"I couldn’t be more pleased with how everything is going and I feel like we’ve got a really strong team full of quality, if you watch us you’ll see the quality," concludes Morton. "I feel we’ve got a good chance of promotion this season, definitely. I feel like that is where this club is heading and if it’s not this season it will be next season."[/article]

[article]Kenny Miller has urged Celtic and Rangers to take a closer look at Dundee's Owen Beck as the Liverpool loanee has shown his talents in the Premiership this season.

The left-back has managed 18 appearances this season so far on loan from Liverpool and Miller has taken note of the 21-year-old and how good he has been for the Dees thus far.
Celts are on the lookout for a left-sided defender to challenge Greg Taylor while Gers could be prepared to lose Ridvan Yilmaz which would open the door to another left-back being signed.

Miller feels Tony Docherty, the Dundee boss, has got plenty out of the loanee and his form in the Premiership should attract interest from Glasgow's big two as they both need reinforcements in that spot."

"I think (Tony) has been quite brave when you look at some of his team selections," Miller told BBC Sportsound. "Look in their midfield they've got Luke McCowan, Lyall Cameron, they're attacking players. I really, really like McCowan. For me he's probably been their best performer over the course of the season.

"At the start of the season Bakayoko was getting goals, he got one at Ibrox the other week, so there is goals in their team.

"I'm looking forward to seeing Owen Beck today. The games that I've seen him this year he's been absolutely outstanding. This goes again to show the loans and opportunities that can be presented, from the big clubs in England up to Scotland to play.

"I would expect, for me, maybe the big two up here to be having a look at this player. Both of them could do with a player in that area of the pitch and he's been outstanding.

"Tony's right, their recruitment's been good, they've got a decent enough balance in how they attack, they work hard and have had a brilliant start to the season just outside the top six. They've got a couple of games in hand to catapult them into the top six."[/article]

Davies has since been benched for their latest 2 games (which they both lost).

(3rd in the list below)

[article]Crewe boss Lee Bell slammed the fans who booed young goalkeeper Harvey Davies after his mistakes helped Accrington stage a late fightback in a 3-3 draw at Gresty Road.

Davies, 20, was caught out by Ben Woods’ ambitious long-range drive which found the corner of the net for Stanley’s equaliser in the 87th minute.

The keeper then failed to hold a cross-shot, which bounced in front of him, and Josh Woods forced the ball in to put the visitors ahead in the sixth minute of stoppage time.

Crewe had been down to 10 men after skipper Luke Offord’s sending off in the 80th minute but they still managed to salvage a point
with a stunning finish from Elliott Nevitt, with the striker breaking away and finding the top corner with a blistering finish in the eighth minute of added-on time.

The home side had twice led through goals from Aaron Rowe and Mickey Demetriou, which sandwiched Jack Nolan’s equaliser, but are now without a win in their last three games.

Bell said: “Our keeper has had a tough afternoon but I was really disappointed with the reaction and what happened afterwards. He is working so hard to improve and he is a smashing fellow.

“It shouldn’t happen at any stadium that reaction to any of your own players.

“I would say the fans should back their players when they make mistakes and if they want to vent their feelings they can come to me afterwards – I thought the reaction was poor.

“But there was a lot of time added on by the referee and it gave us time to get an equaliser, which was an unbelievable finish from Elliott. He deserved a chance to start and he took it with a great goal.

“I am really relieved to get a point but looking back over the whole game we should have won.

“The goals we conceded were highly avoidable but the endeavour of the players showed through and we got a point out of it which shows the character we have got within the group.”
[/article]

[article]Elliott Nevitt says Crewe Alexandra players believe in Harvey Davies and back his ability as a keeper.

The on-loan Liverpool man came in for criticism from some sections of supporters after the 3-3 draw with Accrington Stanley.

But the striker, who grabbed the last-gasp equaliser, says the 20-year-old is highly-rated by his teammates.

Nevitt said: “Harvey is learning. He is a really good goalie, it’s just sometimes with confidence it can be a struggle. I’ve been through that myself when I’ve not been scoring.

“As a team, we are going to be there for him and we are going to be around him. We believe in him and we know what he can do. He’s going to get better and he will show us that.” [/article]

[article]Liverpool are set to recall frozen out defender Rhys Williams from his season-long loan deal with Aberdeen.

The 22-year-old centre-back has suffered a frustrating spell at Pittodrie and failed to register any game time in the Scottish Premiership.

Williams’ only Dons appearance came when starting in the 2-1 Viaplay Cup victory against Stirling Albion on August 18.

Liverpool and Aberdeen have reached an agreement that will see the England U21 cap return to Anfield next week when the January transfer window opens.

Williams is contracted to the six time European champions until summer 2026 having signed a five-year extension in August 2021.

Much was expected of the 6ft 5in centre-back when he was secured on loan by the Dons in June this year.

Williams had previously been hailed as the next Virgil van Dijk and had 19 appearances, 15 of those starts, for Liverpool.

The defender has Champions League group-stage experience with Liverpool.

However he did not get any game time in Aberdeen’s Euro campaign where they competed in the Europa Conference League group stages.

During the 2020-21 campaign Williams featured in all six of Liverpool’s Champions League group-stage fixtures against Ajax, Midtjylland and Atalanta.

During that same season the defender played a key role in Liverpool’s late winning run in the Premiership to secure Champions League qualification.

Just three months before moving to Pittodrie on loan Williams was an unused substitute in Liverpool’s 1-0 Champions League loss at Real Madrid.

Williams has not played for the Liverpool first team since the 2020-21 season and had loan spells at Swansea and Blackpool.

Earlier this month Aberdeen boss Barry Robson confirmed he was set to assess Williams’ loan deal.

At the club’s AGM, Robson said: “Rhys came up injured and has struggled.

“Stefan Gartenmann came in along with Richard Jensen and they have both done well, so Rhys has found it tough to get into the team.”

Williams made his Dons debut in the 9-0 pre-season friendly win against Highland League Turriff United on July 12 when introduced at half-time.

However he was then ruled out by a calf injury, missing the following pre-season friendlies and opening games of the season.

He returned to action for the Dons B side in a 5-3 SPFL Trust Trophy loss to Peterhead on August 15.

Three days later Williams started against Stirling Albion in the Viaplay Cup but that was his only first team appearance.

However Williams would feature for the B team again.

He started against Highland League Fraserburgh in a penalty shoot-out win in the Morrison Motors (Turriff) Aberdeenshire Shield at Pittodrie in October.

The Liverpool defender failed to impress against Fraserburgh.

Williams was the second loan to be secured from Liverpool recently as the Dons raided the Anfield club to secure Leighton Clarkson on loan in summer 2022.

Midfielder Clarkson was a huge hit at Pittodrie during a season-long loan.

Such was his impact the Dons swooped to land Clarkson on a four-year deal in a marquee signing this summer.

Williams is one of three loan players secured by Dons boss Robson on season-long loan deals this summer.
[/article]

Untitled.jpg

Goal around 2:02 min

SvDB should net us a decent amount when he is eventually sold.

Honestly don't understand why he's not been given a chance. He's done well everywhere he's gone on loan. With big Joel off in the summer and Quansah still learning the ropes I think we'd be foolish to go out and spend £50m on a new CB without giving him a run.

Back
Top Bottom