• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Mohamed Salah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Painful reading for Ryan there. His swingometer got fucking mauled. It was like I was on the runway, in a Boeing, about to take off, and he pulled up in a mini revving his engine.
You nearly fucked up by including van dijk in some of your swingometer readings

Ha! Has Pennant scored 10 goals in his entire Liverpool career?

It's so great having fast, skilful wide players who can score goals. Seems like decades since we had that with Digger. We've certainly never had two at the same time, that I can remember.

It's horrible to think that we used to rely on the likes of Tennants. Or even that hilariously useless cunt Nunez.

Benitez seemed to quite like wide players who were actually slow, like Riera, or move players from central positions like Kuyt (also slow, but I did like him very much indeed) and Gerrard.

Imagine Mane and Salah in that team with Torres, Gerrard, Alonso and Masher.

Such a shame we recruited so poorly for the wide positions under Rafa. He'd have definitely won the title otherwise.

Such a shame we recruited so poorly for the wide positions under Rafa. He'd have definitely won the title otherwise.

Every time I think of Nunez I am reminded of the immortal Tomkins piece about him and Morientes. It never fails to raise a chuckle:

One thing Nunez did against Watford was put crosses in. Seven, to be precise. One sailed ingloriously into the Kop. The other six were superb: whipped-in and not - as many do - hung up too high (so the keeper could take them); and they were mostly sent into that 'corridor of uncertainty' where keepers and defenders become caught in two minds. Alas Pongolle wasn't the ideal man to be on the end of most of them; others were cleared in desperation by defenders. Morientes - a truly sublime header of the ball - would have had a field day.

Nunez can be as poor or anonymous as possible if all he does is put in four or five telling crosses in a match; for Morientes that's two goals guaranteed. I can think of taller strikers in world football, but not a single better exponent of heading the ball. This is a man who scored four headers in one league game, and who, in some seasons, managed to get half his goals with his head. The power and accuracy he generates is frightening, and with Gerrard and Alonso's delivery from set pieces, we'll be a big threat. (Something the towering Pellegrino will add to, when he plays; also, Nunez is very good at attacking the ball).

More importantly- Hypia, Carragher & Reina behind them

I'd just call him a forward. He's definitely not a winger in any kind of traditional sense.

His runs are weird, he goes on the outside of players with his left foot, on the right. It looks weird and like it should really be happening, but it does.

More importantly- Hypia, Carragher & Reina behind them

Every time I think of Nunez I am reminded of the immortal Tomkins piece about him and Morientes. It never fails to raise a chuckle:

One thing Nunez did against Watford was put crosses in. Seven, to be precise. One sailed ingloriously into the Kop. The other six were superb: whipped-in and not - as many do - hung up too high (so the keeper could take them); and they were mostly sent into that 'corridor of uncertainty' where keepers and defenders become caught in two minds. Alas Pongolle wasn't the ideal man to be on the end of most of them; others were cleared in desperation by defenders. Morientes - a truly sublime header of the ball - would have had a field day.

Nunez can be as poor or anonymous as possible if all he does is put in four or five telling crosses in a match; for Morientes that's two goals guaranteed. I can think of taller strikers in world football, but not a single better exponent of heading the ball. This is a man who scored four headers in one league game, and who, in some seasons, managed to get half his goals with his head. The power and accuracy he generates is frightening, and with Gerrard and Alonso's delivery from set pieces, we'll be a big threat. (Something the towering Pellegrino will add to, when he plays; also, Nunez is very good at attacking the ball).

The exact same argument was made for the Downing-Carroll combo (probably by Tomkins as well as many others) – that debacle definitively (I hope) killed the argument that football can be reduced to one simple idea. It's not like Carroll wasn't a powerful header of the ball and Downing did indeed have a good cross on him. But that's the beauty of football – you don't get far with one-trick ponies. I hope even Tomkins has learned this by now.

Last edited:

Hahaha oh dear that's tragic

That's almost up there with Tim Vickery's article on Lucas

He's very Garcia-like with his finishing, some moments of absolute brilliance and then absolute frustration the next. If he was somewhere in the middle, based on his current figures already, he'd be a worldy. I don't think he's that great infront of goal overall, but his impact to the team this season has been very good, imagine if we'd had Coutinho/Mane/Lallana all season too, probably wouldn't even notice our diabolical defence and keeper.
The point was made (by myself as well as others) before we signed him that one of his strengths, obvious from the highlight reels, was his propensity to come in off his wing and into the penalty box, 6 yd box even, when the ball was on the other side of the pitch. It adds immensely to our attack as we have no-one else (maybe Studge or Mane) who gets into these 'tap-in' positions.

How soon do we reckon we should begin preparing for Barca and Real to come knocking on Salah's door ?

Need to get my pacemaker ready, you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom