• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll New Manager speculation

Prefix for Poll Threads

Who'll will be the new manager?

• Xabi

Votes: 63 87.5%
  • Harry Potter

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Some old dude like Ancelloti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A cool dude in a suit

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Gerrard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Milner

• De Zerbi

• Unai Emery

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Zinedine Zidane

• Ange Postawotever (for Dreamie)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not that convinced we need to worry about finding someone who'll be given a reasonable chance by the fans. I like to think LFC fans are pretty good at that anyway. Hodgson is an outlier because he was a massive twat. Rodgers was given plenty of support and he was hardly some giant of the game. You also don't want it to go the other way and hire someone it's difficult and painful to sack, like Ole or Kenny.

That's a fair point too. But we're in a very different position now than when Rodgers came in.

I wouldn't choose Xabi solely as a fan appeasement measure. I truly think he's one of the top 2-3 candidates. His rapport with the fans might help get him over the top but it's not my primary consideration.

That's a fair point too. But we're in a very different position now than when Rodgers came in.

I wouldn't choose Xabi solely as a fan appeasement measure. I truly think he's one of the top 2-3 candidates. His rapport with the fans might help get him over the top but it's not my primary consideration.
Fan appeasement should be at the bottom of the list of priorities when it comes to recruitment.

FWIW he's probably my first choice too. He's done fantastically with Leverkusen; a couple of years of overachievement is all we really have to go on for any of the younger candidates tbf, and he's overachieved more than any of the others. Plus he's a legend of the game so you'd think he'd attract good players and command respect etc.

My main concern would be whether he'd play the sort of fast direct football that seems to suit our squad. I don't want some big rebuild.

Fan appeasement should be at the bottom of the list of priorities when it comes to recruitment.

It shouldn't be the only priority, which it seemed to be when United went with Giggs and Ole, but it should definitely be one of them, as should players opinions. You want a manager that people will want to get behind, it's underrated as an attibute.

It shouldn't be the only priority, which it seemed to be when United went with Giggs and Ole, but it should definitely be one of them, as should players opinions. You want a manager that people will want to get behind, it's underrated as an attibute.
Yeah I was going to add that we should prioritise player appeasement, but Luton scored.
Xabi will be respected by the players. He even played with Thiago, although he'll probably be gone by the time Xabi arrives. Thiago will give him the low-down though.

Any want to explain to me why anyone would think Thomas Frank is on the list? Yeah, he has done well for the resources he has had at his disposal, but is fighting for survival at his current club
This is surely BS. They've known since last November and are only starting the search now? As if.

Agreed. People have this idea that a good manager shouldn't really be liked because then they won't be respected. But being liked and respected is totally compatible, and is actually pretty close to the definition of a good manager.

I'm not that convinced we need to worry about finding someone who'll be given a reasonable chance by the fans. I like to think LFC fans are pretty good at that anyway. Hodgson is an outlier because he was a massive twat. Rodgers was given plenty of support and he was hardly some giant of the game. You also don't want it to go the other way and hire someone it's difficult and painful to sack, like Ole or Kenny.
It's sometimes easy to forget that we are not actually like United / Chelsea where we sack managers regularly, whoever comes in, knows that if the team is on the right trajectory under them - they will be afforded the time from the ownership and fans. It's not like Chelsea - where even if they came 2nd and ended up winning nothing the manager would be sacked.

Mark Lawrenson said on Irish radio, yesterday, that Liverpool had already made an appointment. He didn't know who, but said he'd heard that.

Probably bullshit

My main concern would be whether he'd play the sort of fast direct football that seems to suit our squad. I don't want some big rebuild.
Leverkusen play very quickly, although less direct. Our defense and midfield are very well-suited to Xabi-ball, from what I have seen. Our forwards stretch the field more - the more direct - but Jota and Gakpo will fit well. It will be interesting to see how Xabi would use Nunez and Diaz, as Salah is off sooner more than later. He has proven he can come into a club and make the existing players perform without a major rebuild, because he is a good coach. I would expect only incremental changes in style and personnel.

Mark Lawrenson said on Irish radio, yesterday, that Liverpool had already made an appointment. He didn't know who, but said he'd heard that.

Probably bullshit
Xabi's lack of a statement professing undying love for BL and that he'll be there next season says a lot. He's deliberately obfuscated. I think there's a reason he's odds on and the next nearest 'challenger' is 5-1 (De Zerbi - no chance). In fact Zidane is 4th on the list (17/2) with Lijnders 15/2 - even though he's resigned.

Leverkusen play very quickly, although less direct. Our defense and midfield are very well-suited to Xabi-ball, from what I have seen. Our forwards stretch the field more - the more direct - but Jota and Gakpo will fit well. It will be interesting to see how Xabi would use Nunez and Diaz, as Salah is off sooner more than later. He has proven he can come into a club and make the existing players perform without a major rebuild, because he is a good coach. I would expect only incremental changes in style and personnel.
Leverkusen have 2 more 'direct, long ball, attacks' per 90 mins than we do.

Leverkusen have 2 more 'direct, long ball, attacks' per 90 mins than we do.
Really? That surprises me based on the little I have seen and the more that I have read. But, if true, there might be even less change that we might expect. He certainly DOES NOT need a rebuild.

Really? That surprises me based on the little I have seen and the more that I have read. But, if true, there might be even less change that we might expect. He certainly DOES NOT need a rebuild.
Completely agree. There are very few changes to be made over the next 12-18 months (bar new contracts) and it would be great if Xabi could bring some of his knowledge of Bundesliga players here to help us supplement the wonderful core he will inherit.

The thing that gives me a little hope is that Xabi is tactfully flexible enough to tweak the way he’s been playing and a good enough coach to be able to tweak the Klopp set up.

It’s really hard to tell because he’s only 16 months into full club management, he’s run 1 preseason, hasn’t completed a full single season, not experienced the Champions League - there’s so many things that could go wrong here it’s worrying.

I think because we all know how impossible it is to replace Klopp, Xabi will get a lot of patience - which is also why we need someone who can really take what he’s done and keep it going. To a degree.

I also think a premier league title this year and we would be all very patient for a few more years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom