• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll New Manager speculation

Prefix for Poll Threads

Who'll will be the new manager?

• Xabi

Votes: 63 87.5%
  • Harry Potter

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Some old dude like Ancelloti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A cool dude in a suit

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Gerrard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Milner

• De Zerbi

• Unai Emery

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Zinedine Zidane

• Ange Postawotever (for Dreamie)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
the Barcelona Xavi is an interesting one. Seems like Barcelona is the problem there, not the manager who could you take?

a-espncdn-com.jpg

I'm going for the one that can spell his damn name correctly.

Hey Binny, can you also try to find if there's similar compliments from current players/ex-players of Emery please ? Especially Xhaka. Cheers.

Because you know, handling difficult nutters like Xhaka, is no small feat.

Emery stripped Xhaka off his captaincy and he had a spat with Ozil.

Di Maria and Silva's wives took aim at him (after they were dropped vs Real Madrid in a CL clash), as did Cavani (over the penalty issue with Neymar). Verratti said Emery was difficult to work with.

However, other players did have good things to say about him.

Villarreal danger man Gerard Moreno on Unai Emery's 'contagious' drive to win, being 'more than just a scorer' and his pride at helping the LaLiga side earn their spot in the Europa League semis... as Spain's new No 9 looks to shoot down Arsenal tonight

Unai Emery has used him this season both through the middle and coming off the right. The tutoring from the former Arsenal boss is intense - he had a one-to-one meeting with the manager on the morning of this interview.

Emery knows the Arsenal players well, that could be an advantage couldn't it? 'They know him well too,' Moreno shoots back.

'Unai is a winner, he works very hard, he's on top of every little detail. He's a big part of the success this season in Europe because of the way he prepares the games. His drive is contagious. He has experience in this competition and hopefully that can improve our chances.'

Dani Parejo: ‘Miguel Brito fell asleep during an Unai Emery talk one day’
“Unai signed me and I had a year with him. I was young, it was my first season at a big club with these demands: it’s hard,” Parejo admits. “Unai’s a very good coach who’s done incredible things; it’s admirable. They say coaches are a little different, and he’s a perfectionist: there’s a lot of work, a lot of videos, talks, and it’s true players can get tired of it, that he’s a bit pesado, heavy-going. When you get an outline of the opponents it helps, of course, but a footballer’s attention – anybody’s attention – can wane if it goes on for 20, 25 minutes.

He laughs. “Miguel Brito fell asleep during a talk one day.”

Parejo says he recognises Emery’s hand when he watches Arsenal, although he analyses shifts too: “It surprised me to see three centre-backs sometimes; he never did that here. But he has always liked to play with a doble pivote, two in the middle. The best coaches adapt and he hasn’t been there long, so it will take a while still.”

Emery qualified Valencia for the Champions League three years running. He was not always popular at Mestalla but after his departure it took three years to return under Nuno
and Parejo recalls Nuno’s first season as one in which they played at an “extremely high level”. He adds: “the following year, the expectations were so, so high… and in week nine they sacked him. We were still alive in the Champions League, only a few points off [top four], but in Spain that happens.”

“It’s been difficult here,” Parejo continues. “Lots of changes of coach, very unstable, big news stories every three days, the sporting director resigned, the coach went, Voro, the delegate, came as coach, then he went, then he came again. There was instability …”

'Emery is several steps above' - Parejo praises Villarreal manager ahead of Arsenal clash in Europa League
“I knew Unai from my first stage in Valencia. Neither he is the one I met in Valencia nor am I the one he was in Valencia when we met," Parejo told Goal.

"For me he is a great coach because of how he prepares, how he studies the rival, he is clear about the approaches of each game and has evolved in every way: when it comes to training, motivational talks, understanding the player in different circumstances, having psychology… I have always said that for me the best coaches I had had were [Ernesto] Valverde and Marcelino.

"And I would like to add Emery. In Valencia I was young, I had many coaches and I have seen how they worked a lot and Unai is one of the best, of course. I think he is several steps above as a coach."

Pau Torres: Unai Emery knows how to touch a player’s heartstrings
“Emery is a great motivator. He is a person who reaches the footballer through words. In Spanish as well as in English. He knows how to touch the player's heartstrings to get the best out of him.”

Neymar talks Arsenal and backs Unai Emery to bring success after replacing Arsene Wenger
Neymar, who is in north London this week with Brazil facing Uruguay in an international friendly at the Emirates stadium, has tipped Emery to return long-awaited success.

He said: "Arsenal are playing really good football, they are in great form. Everybody knows he is a really great coach. We know about their quality.

"I was really happy to work with him because he is a really hard-working guy, he really wants to coach us, he wants to study about football.

"He will bring good things for Arsenal, which is a really huge club, a really important club in England. I wish him luck."

Kylian Mbappe on Unai Emery and how he almost joined Arsenal
Mbappe was eventually tempted to turn down the Gunners by Emery, the then-PSG boss.

He made a successful transition to the PSG setup before Emery opted to make a managerial move to the Emirates.

And Mbappe has spoken of his respect for Emery as he continues to follow Arsenal with interest.

"I do not forget that he helped me adapt to this big team, which was not easy," Mbappe said when asked about Emery. "I have a lot of respect for this man even if he did not succeed in Paris.

"He won titles before and I hope he wins them again after. I sent him a congratulatory message when he signed for Arsenal, and now I am following from afar."

PSG star Kylian Mbappe praises Arsenal boss Unai Emery for teaching him to be decisive
Though PSG romped to the Ligue 1 title they were once more eliminated from the Champions League at the round of 16 stage, a failure which ultimately cost Emery his job.

However Mbappe, who scored 21 goals and provided 16 assists in 46 appearances last season, was full of praise for the now Arsenal manager and the impact he had on his game.

“Unai Emery taught me to be more decisive, to have that desire to score goals,” Mbappe said.

“Defensively, I still have shortcomings, but it really made me progress.

“He’s a great coach: seven trophies in two years, it’s not nothing.”

Exclusive: Arsenal's Bukayo Saka Grateful For 'special' Time Under Unai Emery - 'I Can Never Forget Him'
"For me, it was really special," he told Laura Woods in TNT Sports' show 'In My Blood'. "I can never forget him - he's the one that gave me my debut.

"Obviously you can see all the work put in to get to that stage. He gave me that moment and gave me a lot of confidence as well.

"He gave me so many more appearances so I'm always grateful to him. I'm really happy for him. Every time we play against him, I always try and say hello to him and say thank you as well.

"He was a really nice man and a really nice coach as well and I enjoyed my time under him."

Douglas Luiz exclusive interview: Aston Villa midfielder flattered by interest but loving life under 'incredible' Unai Emery
"Unai, honestly, is an incredible manager," he says. "Since he arrived here, he has changed the history of the club. Aston Villa is a very big club in England, but things weren't going so well. Unai has changed it. Now, people respect the club and the players more."

That is certainly true of Luiz. "I believe I am in the best moment of my career," he says. "The manager demands a lot from me and I believe he has helped me a lot as well. I am happier than ever to keep working and continue evolving."

Emery's demandingness is a topic which comes up repeatedly in conversation with Luiz
and the 25-year-old is clearly reaping the rewards - even if it means butting heads occasionally.

"Last week, we had an argument, but a good kind of argument, because he demands a lot from me when I'm on the pitch," says Luiz.

"Sometimes my head isn't totally right and I say something back. We end up arguing but afterwards we talk and everything is OK.

"He is a manager who is helping me a lot and who asks a lot from me. He wants me to give more assists, to score goals, to arrive well in the box and to help the team defensively as well.

"He pushes me a lot, but I like that. He is always there to talk with me. Whenever I need something, I just ask him and we talk. Then, when he needs something from me, I can also help him."

Ezri Konsa interview: Aston Villa defender on wonder goal against Brentford and working on body shape with Unai Emery
A team that looked devoid of any identity were transformed. Players who had been doubted proved those doubters wrong. Konsa's own form had dipped under Emery's predecessor Steven Gerrard but he has hit new heights since. Back to his best and then some.

"I have improved massively under him. His CV speaks for itself, his experience, the players he has worked with and the clubs for which he has worked. I am only going to improve by working with him more. I am looking forward to having a full season under him."

Detail is the word that keeps coming up with Emery. Whether it is lengthy video sessions or the time out on the training ground, nothing is left to chance. Players are adjusting to the greater scrutiny. Even their body shape when defending has had to change.

"He likes to do it slightly differently to what we are used to. When the ball goes over your head, the way you need to turn is completely different to what I and a few of the other boys have been taught. We are all getting used to it and we are all enjoying it."

Exclusive: John Mcginn Thought He Was 'done' At Aston Villa Before Revival Under 'brilliant' Unai Emery
The Scotland international has been hugely influential under Emery as Villa - who host Newcastle on Tuesday night, live on TNT Sports - have battled at the top of the Premier League table this season.

Looking back on when Emery first joined in October 2022, McGinn told TNT Sports that he wasn’t sure about his future at the club.

“I thought I was done," he said. "You kind of have a feel as a player, at the time the supporters thought I was honking, I had just come out of the team and the team was doing well for a couple of games.

“You’re not stupid as a footballer, you think ‘right, you might start having to look elsewhere’, which I did.

“I spoke to the manager and he had every stat, every detail of appearances I played for St Mirren, Hibs, and then he asked ‘what is your preferred position’, and I said ‘just not on the bench like the last few games’. And he looked and I thought what he is going to say, then he started circling positions and I said ‘yeah I’d play there, I’d play there’.

“I think he was getting a gauge on why I hadn’t been playing so well. He brought up the Scotland goals and said ‘why are you scoring like this for Scotland and not for Aston Villa?’ Maybe thank you to [Scotland manager] Steve Clarke for putting me higher up the pitch.

“I said I play here for Scotland, maybe right 10 or on the right wing, which I hadn’t done before. Steve Clarke put me in there, showed a bit of faith and I started getting some goals. He said tomorrow - this was before we played Manchester United - you might play, you might not, so I thought I might get a chance here.

“After that I was like ‘he’s brilliant’. You could tell. Next game I was on the bench, but I came on and then the next game I started and ever since then I’ve played the majority of games which has been good.”

Ollie Watkins credits Unai Emery for helping him return to England squad
He had scored just twice last campaign before Emery was appointed as Steven Gerrard’s successor in November but then hit 14 in 26 matches following the Spaniard’s arrival at Villa Park.

Asked how it felt to return to the England set-up following time out of the squad, Watkins said: “I think my mindset has changed since the boss has come in, Unai Emery at Villa.

“He’s filled me with a lot of confidence. I’ve definitely improved in these last 18 months since I was last in the England camp.

“I think it shows in my form and my performance here so I’m really happy and I’m delighted to be back in the squad and putting on an England shirt.

“I envisioned it all (playing and scoring against Australia). I was itching to get on the pitch so I’m delighted I got my goal and it helped the team to win.”

It depends what we want from the next manager

Decent football, strong trophy chances, but a bit of a dour manager who may or may not dislike silver and garlic- Emery

A handsome potential tactical whizz, but arguably too raw and may get crushed by the job - Alonso

Champions leagues and premier leagues - Woy

Emery stripped Xhaka off his captaincy and he had a spat with Ozil.

Di Maria and Silva's wives took aim at him (after they were dropped vs Real Madrid in a CL clash), as did Cavani (over the penalty issue with Neymar). Verratti said Emery was difficult to work with.

However, other players did have good things to say about him.

Villarreal danger man Gerard Moreno on Unai Emery's 'contagious' drive to win, being 'more than just a scorer' and his pride at helping the LaLiga side earn their spot in the Europa League semis... as Spain's new No 9 looks to shoot down Arsenal tonight

Dani Parejo: ‘Miguel Brito fell asleep during an Unai Emery talk one day’

'Emery is several steps above' - Parejo praises Villarreal manager ahead of Arsenal clash in Europa League

Pau Torres: Unai Emery knows how to touch a player’s heartstrings

Neymar talks Arsenal and backs Unai Emery to bring success after replacing Arsene Wenger

Kylian Mbappe on Unai Emery and how he almost joined Arsenal

PSG star Kylian Mbappe praises Arsenal boss Unai Emery for teaching him to be decisive

Exclusive: Arsenal's Bukayo Saka Grateful For 'special' Time Under Unai Emery - 'I Can Never Forget Him'

Douglas Luiz exclusive interview: Aston Villa midfielder flattered by interest but loving life under 'incredible' Unai Emery

Ezri Konsa interview: Aston Villa defender on wonder goal against Brentford and working on body shape with Unai Emery

Exclusive: John Mcginn Thought He Was 'done' At Aston Villa Before Revival Under 'brilliant' Unai Emery

Ollie Watkins credits Unai Emery for helping him return to England squad

At what point do we anoint you Emporer Binny?

De Zerbi should be off the list. They'll lose to Luton Town today

In that case, we need to take Emery off the list too - Villa’s results since they beat Arsenal have been awful.

In that case, we need to take Emery off the list too - Villa’s results since they beat Arsenal have been awful.
Was Emery ever on the list? De Zerbi is just a Great Pretender with 0 honours. Emery has won things, and a league above De Nobody.
Its Xabi's job if he wants it

De Zerbi and Emery not doing great on their auditions.

Amorim moving up the list.
Just thrashed Casa Pia 8-0 this week. (y):cool:

Sporting with Rúben Amorim at the helm in full seasons, the lions always scored 81+ goals in the season:81 in 2023/24 (2.61 G/J)108 in 2022/23 (2.04)109 in 2021/22 (2.06)82 in 2020/21 (1.95)

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Untitled.jpg

If experience is a key factor, then perhaps Simone Inzaghi should be included in the discussion? His current contract is up in 2025.

(incl. 6 yrs' coaching Lazio's Allievi and Primavera sides)
1706678970624.png

1706679018126.png

Inter have now levelled the iconic Milan side’s record after their win over Napoli in the Supercoppa Italiana final.

Napoli had gone down to ten men after Giovanni Simeone’s sending off in the second half and while they did manage to hold on for a while, Lautaro Martinez’s strike in stoppage time handed the Nerazzurri a win that took them to another Supercoppa Italiana win.

It was the club’s second consecutive Supercoppa Italiana win under Simone Inzaghi and their third consecutive win in general. But the win created a new record for the club, as they matched Milan’s record in 1994, as the Rossoneri were the last team to win the Supercoppa Italiana three times in a row back then.

The win also means that Simone Inzaghi has now won the Supercoppa Italiana twice, the Coppa Italia once and has reached the Champions League final. And before yesterday, they were at the top of the Serie A table as well.

2018: Simone Inzaghi and his trust in youth | The Laziali

2021: Simone Inzaghi’s Trust In Youth Could Benefit Some Inter Youngsters, Italian Media Report

2022: Inter Youth Director Roberto Samaden: “Simone Inzaghi Pays Attention To The Youngsters”

2020: Immobile compares Inzaghi to Klopp as Lazio star reveals Napoli dream
"Klopp is a great expert in football and I always said that I'd have liked to work with him when I was in my best form. He is a complete coach, he has everything," Immobile said on Instagram Live chat with Er Faina.

"Having said that, he really reminds me of Simone Inzaghi, as they are very similar in their motivational skills, albeit in slightly different ways."

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 3180

If experience is a key factor, then perhaps Simone Inzaghi should be included in the discussion? His current contract is up in 2025.

View attachment 3178

View attachment 3179

2021: Simone Inzaghi’s Trust In Youth Could Benefit Some Inter Youngsters, Italian Media Report

2022: Inter Youth Director Roberto Samaden: “Simone Inzaghi Pays Attention To The Youngsters”

View attachment 3181
View attachment 3182

He's spent his whole life, and career, in Italy. He isn't proficient in English and I can't find any other references to any other languages he speaks fluently.
You have to be able to communicate efficiently with your players so until he has gained that ability I'd not consider him (and FSG surely won't if he can't have a proper discussion with them).

Despite that : Specifically, he was asked if he aimed to imitate Guardiola and Klopp and remain at the club for many years: “This is the target. I think this is true for every coach,” he admitted

View attachment 3180

View attachment 3178

View attachment 3179

View attachment 3181
View attachment 3182

Sporting play a 3-4-2-1 similar to Xabiball..

A young up and coming defender that no one has heard of called Seb Coates at the heart of defence, tearing it up...

Sporting seem to play a 3-4-3 but revert to a 5-2-3 when defending. I really like him. Has to be on the list.

Sporting play a 3-4-2-1 similar to Xabiball..

A young up and coming defender that no one has heard of called Seb Coates at the heart of defence, tearing it up...
I still think coates could have been a success for us, he just needed someone next to him who could organise more effectively and left back not shite/injured

I still think coates could have been a success for us, he just needed someone next to him who could organise more effectively and left back not shite/injured

No, he was too slow to play our high line. Virgil compensates for lack of pace with his intelligence. I never got that same vibe from Coates. He's a good defender, one for the mid premier league teams who sit back.

He started out good as Coat’s for posts but as soon as he became Quat-ezz he went to shit

I think it's really difficult to take any manager making their breakthrough in Portugal, seriously (yeah yeah Mourinho). Half the league is 2nd Division standard, a few Championship and only 2-3 will ever win the title. Certainly the average position of their players and their tactics is almost certainly not going to translate to the PL.

To appoint this guy would be beyond a gamble. It's akin to throwing a coin down a well.

Virgil? Lack of pace? Who are we comparing him with? Walker or Mbappe?
Looking at him play this season and there hasnt been a lot of drop off after the injury.

No, he was too slow to play our high line. Virgil compensates for lack of pace with his intelligence. I never got that same vibe from Coates. He's a good defender, one for the mid premier league teams who sit back.
Not for our current system, granted; but he was a much better defender than he was credited with, considering he only really got a look in when he was 20-22.

No to De Zerbi and Emery. They shouldnt even be on the list.
They were never on my list[.... At least Emery can say he has won things like titles and European Honours. De Zerbi still has a long way to prove himself.
Here's my list
1. Xabi - took a team from 17th to 6th and a semi-final of a European Comp. This season likely favourite to win the Bundesliga
2. Inzaghi - English language maybe an issue, he can learn, but in the interim you have translators
3. Hans Flick, risky yes, but has pedigree
4. Roger Schmidt, won titles with Benfica despite having their best talents ripped away from them.

Ruben Amorim, I know next to nothing about. He seems like an Arteta, who will need plenty of time. Imho he seems a bigger risk than the 4 I mentioned. Klopp was humble, so anyone we get, I want them to be humble. Look at Ten "Eras come to an end" Hag, big headed and regularly throws players under the bus.

Has anyone mentioned Miguel at Girona yet? He's doing some great thing there and while they'll surely regress to the mean at some point, got to think he's going to get poached for another job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom