• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Newcastle (A) Feb 18th 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
No rest? Okie dokie.

Hopefully Wilson is still out, think Guimares serving the last of his 3 games suspension too....they have may 1 eye on the week after with with cup final.

In that case lets go;

Alisson
Trent Matip Gomez Robbo
Hendo Baj
Salah Gakpo Jota
Nunez

Vvd will start. Which spastic will be next to him? JoGo was the least mongy tonight. The rest starts the same. Let’s build up the fitness of Akita and Firmino.

No rest? Okie dokie.

Hopefully Wilson is still out, think Guimares serving the last of his 3 games suspension too....they have may 1 eye on the week after with with cup final.

In that case lets go;

Alisson
Trent Matip Gomez Robbo
Hendo Baj
Salah Gakpo Jota
Nunez
Same team as today bar VvD for Gomez.

No rest? Okie dokie.

In that case lets go;

Alisson
Trent Matip Gomez Robbo
Hendo Baj
Salah Gakpo Jota
Nunez

Yes, I think the best thing to do in a season where we’ve struggled for consistency is to change the shape of the side as soon as it actually started to look like it might gel together.

Jota needs to be eased back in.

Nomad’s right - if there’s any change, then it’s Virg for Gomez (or Matip & have Gomez play there - either/or).

Klopp can use his subs in the second half to bring Jota & Bobby on.

Same again , full intensity.

Changes can come if and when the game is won

Does the same team play vs Madrid? I'm not sure, especially up front. I would keep the same team but try and get Jota and Firmino sharp asap.

Start Virg obv

This could be a great time to play them. They have some injuries, meaning some will play with niggles, and they have all focus on the Caraboa Cup the weekend after this.

Its same team as The Ev for me, unless Virgil is fit to start. Pre Everton I probably would have wanted Jota to start this, but I think managing his return and knowing he's there as a sub (along with Bobby) means our front three can be relied on to press that asses off for the first 60-70 mins.

In previous years I would say we needed to rotate here, but with 5 subs I see no reason not to start strongly and then bring off players when we can. If the squad want any realistic hope of CL football next year then it's a must win. They're going to have to grind through it.

Newcastle are really challenging to score against and Botman is proving to be a top-class CB, but goals have deserted them in recent weeks and they're racking up the draws. We're going to need to be uncharacteristically clinical to take the points here.

I'd bring in VVD to the starting line up and then look to sub on Keita, Tsimikas, Jota, Milner when we can.

We've had previous false dawns, NUFC is a very different proposition to the relegation battlers. Solid in defence and MF, really organised, we are very much the underdogs in this game.
I suspect it will be a back four of Trent, Gomez VVD and Robbo. Klopp choosing to give Matip the rest. Jota might get nod before Nunez, Jota just being that bit wiser with the ball

All I know is VVD needs to start due to their height and physicality. Him alongside Matip.

Maybe even play Gomez RB initially and bring on a fresh TAA from the bench 2nd half.

A win is so important here.
It really is ... Don't know if we can do it, but if we can just build on the momentum.
Yes, we only beat Everton.
Yes, it could have been down 1-0 before we went up 1-0.
But we still won, and we still kept a clean sheet and when you're a struggling team, that can sometimes turn things around.
Will it? Not sure but the team is still fighting and if they fight, as they did in the derby - lead by Hendo, a confident Gakpo/Salah and OUR donkey, maybe just maybe, we can start a good run here.

They're missing a couple of important players, Bruno G suspended makes a massive difference. Willock, Almiron, and Saint Maximin all went off injured in their last game, while Wilson wasn't in the squad either so he's probably on the treatment table again. All set up for Anthony Gordon scoring the last minute winner

Newcastle's Injury List is misleading even if it initially looks substantial.

Definitely out : Manquillo, Guimaraes (back on 26th), Targett & Willock.

Wilson is expected to return or at worst make the bench : Feb 11: 'Callum has just got a very minor hamstring complaint. He will miss this game, but we think he will be back for the next one.'

Also Lascelles could be back (missing for personal reasons last match).

These two should be back unless it's worst than expected or recivery slow, Almiron : Feb 11: 'Miggy and Maxi, I don't think are too bad. Almiron got stamped on his hand, so we think he'll be OK.'Saint Maximin : Maxi was just a knock.'

It's a good time to play them with the LC Final coming up, the minor injury list & suspension and them not being in top form.

It’s all about our attack. They’re hardly prolific in goal scoring but they’re solid. If we can score a couple, we win. Big if, though.

Newcastle have been one of the better sides this season and are great defensively. It will tough, no doubt.
Hopefully we can get a result.

They’re starting to tighten in their play and feel the pressure of a top four place to protect.

On the other hand we arrive after a morale boosting win and performance, with big players returning and with (albeit fragile enough) a sense that we’ve made an important psychological step towards reclaiming our proven mentality.

It’s all set for another statement performance and springboard towards a momentum fuelled end to the season.

we’ll score first and control the game from there.

2-0 again or a 3-0 marker down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom