• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Newcastle (A) Feb 18th 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's up to the players if they want to play in the CL next season. A win, and we will be 6 points off with a game in hand. A decent position to be in considering our first half of the season.

I didn't think we had that good a performance vs everton, or rather, I've no idea how good it was. I liked how our fullback play was on the table again, but it was hugely helped by everton offering nothing. Even with them offering nothing they had two big chances to score, and they are pure shit. Our back line still looked really nervy.

We will have to put a performance together that we haven't in months.

I didn't think we had that good a performance vs everton, or rather, I've no idea how good it was. I liked how our fullback play was on the table again, but it was hugely helped by everton offering nothing. Even with them offering nothing they had two big chances to score, and they are pure shit. Our back line still looked really nervy.

We will have to put a performance together that we haven't in months.
Agree, we battled well but we had next to no threat in the first half. There weren't any pattern of play and we were mostly hit and hope. Gakpo came to life for 20 mins in the 2nd before the game mostly fizzled out due to Everton being shit. I am not toally convinced we are "back".

This could be a great time to play them. They have some injuries, meaning some will play with niggles, and they have all focus on the Caraboa Cup the weekend after this.

Its same team as The Ev for me, unless Virgil is fit to start. Pre Everton I probably would have wanted Jota to start this, but I think managing his return and knowing he's there as a sub (along with Bobby) means our front three can be relied on to press that asses off for the first 60-70 mins.

They are looking tired and have little quality behind their best XI. We looked to have some energy back and quality available now Jota and Firmino are available. Great time to play them.

Top 4 baby.

They are looking tired and have little quality behind their best XI. We looked to have some energy back and quality available now Jota and Firmino are available. Great time to play them.

Top 4 baby.
Fuck you! Are you Halmeister in disguise?

League Champions for sure

The only positive I’m going with is this is the second weekend running with no midweek game. Maybe a little respite has refuelled some tired bodies

From the Guardian’s 10 things to look out for.

[article]Newcastle’s solitary Premier League defeat of the season came at Anfield and Eddie Howe’s team should be suitably keen to atone for that narrow, contentious, reverse when they are reunited with Jürgen Klopp and co at St James’ Park. Howe is looking a bit light in the midfield department: Bruno Guimarães serves the final game of his three match suspension and Joe Willock is sidelined by a hamstring injury. With Jonjo Shelvey now sold to Nottingham Forest and no replacement signed the likeliest midfield trio will be Sean Longstaff, Joelinton and the promising but inexperienced Whitley-Bay born 20-year-old Elliot Anderson. The other difficulty is that, in recent weeks, Howe has often preferred Joelinton to Allan Saint-Maximin and Anthony Gordon for a starting role on the left of the front three. Newcastle may remain creditably hard to beat but a run of five draws in their last six Premier League games suggests a certain lack of quality in depth within the squad. With next Sunday’s Carabao Cup final against Manchester United fast approaching and a Champions League place to challenge for there could not be a better time for Anderson to confirm his rich potential

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...league-10-things-to-look-out-for-this-weekend
[/article]

Bruno Guimaraes is still serving a three-match ban. His influence is summed up by the fact that Newcastle haven’t won a single league match without him in the team this season – four draws and one defeat.

I've done it now haven't I ?

Until recently, Newcastle had been extremely fortunate in the injury department, often being able to field the same starting XI every week. Things have changed a little in that respect, however, and Howe could have to make do without a number of key players for the visit of Liverpool.
Bruno is suspended, while Joe Willock is out and Callum Wilson could only be fit enough for the bench.

Allan Saint-Maximin and Miguel Almiron are fine after recovering from knocks.

Almost without noticing, the Magpies have only won one of their last six league games, drawing the other five and dropping 10 points. That means that Howe’s team only have one point more than Liverpool during that period, who have been going through a crisis of results.

Predicted Newcastle XI: Pope; Trippier, Schar, Botman, Burn; Longstaff, Joelinton, Anderson; Almiron, Gordon, Isak.

TIA (though I agree with everything here) :

Klopp will surely be tempted to keep things the same after such an improved performance against Everton, although he may have one eye on Tuesday’s Champions League clash with Real Madrid.
Van Dijk could come back into the team after a six-week layoff – throwing him straight back in against Real would feel like a big risk – with Joel Matip or Joe Gomez making way.
In midfield, the highly impressive Stefan Bajcetic should keep his place, while Naby Keita is an option to come in for Fabinho or Jordan Henderson.
The front three of Mohamed Salah, Darwin Nunez and Cody Gakpo looked slick in the derby and it would be a surprise if they didn’t start at St James’ Park.

Klopp on VvD :
“I think so, yeah. Yesterday [Thursday] he looked absolutely ready.
“I think today [Friday] he will look the same and then we will make a decision.”

Potential Liverpool XI: Alisson; Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Van Dijk, Robertson; Fabinho, Henderson, Bajcetic; Salah, Gakpo, Nunez.

Manchester-born Anthony Taylor has been confirmed as the referee for Saturday’s game, while Chris Kavanagh is in charge of VAR. Sigh.

Liverpool have fared fairly well with Taylor in charge this season, however, drawing 0-0 at Everton and winning 1-0 at home to Man City.
In his 16 Premier League matches in charge in 2022/23, he has shown 61 yellows cards, two reds and awarded three penalties.

I'm a hopefully idiot.

Win today and things start to open up a bit for finishing 4th. Even a draw will be grand. But we need to put a 6 game unbeaten run together in the league.

Win today and I'd be feeling confident about Madrid. But I'm an idiot.

If second half Gakpo turns up we will have a serious chance of scoring a couple. He was visibly better once he scored during the week.

Liverpool: Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson, Fabinho, Bajcetic, Henderson, Nunez, Salah, Gakpo.
Subs: Kelleher, Milner, Keita, Firmino, Elliott, Jota, Tsimikas, Matip, Phillips.

Liverpool: Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson, Fabinho, Bajcetic, Henderson, Nunez, Salah, Gakpo.
Subs: Kelleher, Milner, Keita, Firmino, Elliott, Jota, Tsimikas, Matip, Phillips.

Gomez over Matip perhaps the only mild surprise. Decent bench, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom