• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NFL Off Season - FAs, Trades, Draft etc

There's a major difference between playing in a triple-threat spread offence for the best team in college football and then playing in the pros. Peyton Manning was your prototypical pro signal caller. Tall, big arm, accurate outsider the 20 yard range. Tebow is a scrambler, and doesn't have the arm for throwing deep threat. Yet. His mechanics were all wrong, hence changing them, and the little drop-pause in his arm movement will cost him dearly in the pros. His feet are hilarious too. None of which is to say he won't make it. But he certainly won't make it immediately. Manning went to the playoffs five times in first seven seasons and won two MVPs.

McNabb to the Redskins.

The Eagles have traded Donovan McNabb for 37th overall pick and an additional third or fourth round pick depending on performance, according to a league source.

What were the Eagles thinking there? They just made the NFL East a woodshed of a division. All of those teams will be looking for the playoffs now. They could end the year without a team with a losing record.

Jimmy Clausen must have shit a kidney when he read it. The Skins won't take him at four after that trade. Looks like he might follow the other Weiss WB, Brady Quinn, in a Radio City slide. Which is fucking odd, because he is a quality quarterback. On the plus side, he might slide to 14 and go to Seattle. Although I think the Browns and the Bills will be looking at him. Delhomme can only have been brought to Cleveland to groom a young signal caller. And given that he throws a billion INTs a match, Clausen could probably displace him. He also has the arm to throw windy in Buffalo. Although, who wants that for a career?

This trade and the Williams trade to Detroit have totally changed what I thought the draft top five would be.

i don't get it MC - it's a really odd trade. They've given Washington a very capable QB who will be bloody motivated to prove the Eagles wrong. I think this is a big mistake for the Iggles - Kolb is not ready at all ...

Cowboys released Flozell the Hotel and Ken Hamlin ...

Say goodbye to the false starts next year.

On the other note, the Eagles fans, or organization has never respected McNabb, he is going to stick it to them I believe.

If you lot are silly enough to pass him over.

They'll probably end up with Williams or Bulaga, leaving Al to draft his wet dream, Bruce Campbell, to Oakland.

Oh man. I didn't realise you had traded in Sims. The Lions baffle me. Bringing Corey Williams and Sims in sort of makes both Okung AND Suh/MCCoy redundant. I figured you'd draft Okung and shift Backus to the left (Go Jeff!). But now Sim will be playing left. So I guess it's back to Suh now for the Lions, leaving Okung to protect McNabb.

Yeah, Sims is good, especially against pass rush. Which is good news for young Matthew. The fact that they'll probably pass over Okung and keep Backus at centre isn't so good for Stafford, but still. It looks like it'll be an alright off-season for the Lions. Couple of useful trades, can't complain about Suh. Not as catastrophic as it might have been. Although, rotating Williams, Hill, and Suh is going to make for a very expensive defensive centre.

A 5th round pick? Sheesh, what a great trade for the Jets if they can keep this guy out of trouble. I wonder if Big Ben should feel concerned -

The New York Jets sure know how to make headlines.

In their latest big move of a busy offseason, the Jets acquired talented but troubled wide receiver Santonio Holmes(notes) from the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday night for a fifth-round pick in this month’s draft, according to a person familiar with the deal.

The person spoke with The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the teams had yet to announce the trade.

Holmes, the 2009 Super Bowl MVP, gives second-year quarterback Mark Sanchez(notes) another big-time target to throw to in an offense that already included receivers Braylon Edwards(notes), Jerricho Cotchery(notes), promising tight end Dustin Keller(notes) and recently signed running back LaDainian Tomlinson(notes).

Holmes has 235 career catches for 3,835 yards and 20 touchdowns, but also brings his share of off-field issues, which could explain the relatively low price the Jets paid to get him.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=39035.msg1086846#msg1086846 date=1271057603]
A 5th round pick? Sheesh, what a great trade for the Jets if they can keep this guy out of trouble. I wonder if Big Ben should feel concerned -

The New York Jets sure know how to make headlines.

In their latest big move of a busy offseason, the Jets acquired talented but troubled wide receiver Santonio Holmes(notes) from the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday night for a fifth-round pick in this month’s draft, according to a person familiar with the deal.

The person spoke with The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the teams had yet to announce the trade.

Holmes, the 2009 Super Bowl MVP, gives second-year quarterback Mark Sanchez(notes) another big-time target to throw to in an offense that already included receivers Braylon Edwards(notes), Jerricho Cotchery(notes), promising tight end Dustin Keller(notes) and recently signed running back LaDainian Tomlinson(notes).

Holmes has 235 career catches for 3,835 yards and 20 touchdowns, but also brings his share of off-field issues, which could explain the relatively low price the Jets paid to get him.
[/quote]

It does seem a small price to pay but considering he's in the last year of his contract and its possible he may start the season with a four game ban for violation of the league's substance-abuse policy it doesn't seem so ridiculous.

Pittsburgh are a proper club run by proper owners too. There was no way they were going to pick his contract up. Might make Roethlisberger stop spending all his time in cutscenes from GGW too.

Still, 1200+ yards last year. Jets can't be unhappy about it.

I love Santonio, i think on his day he's a game winning WR.
If we go into the season with our current offensive weapons
Roethlisberger, Ward, Mendenhall, Randle el and an ever waning Willie Parker we'll be winning fuck all.
Our RB's are both decent but neither outstanding, and our reciever core looks really thin.
I have big love for Roethlisberger and Ward and im happy to have Randle El back but fuck me we need a rookie to shine........

And to keep Polomalu fit.

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=39035.msg1087135#msg1087135 date=1271108710]
Parker has gone to Washington I think
[/quote]I dont think he has yet. I'm fairly sure he is going though.
It was always going to be his last season with us.

Not bad for both teams.

Pats could struggle in the AFC East this year methinks, especially after the Lions beat them on thanksgiving.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=39035.msg1087136#msg1087136 date=1271108878]
[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=39035.msg1087135#msg1087135 date=1271108710]

[/quote]

Could the Redskins be building something at long last?

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=39035.msg1087827#msg1087827 date=1271255934]
[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=39035.msg1087136#msg1087136 date=1271108878]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Redskins and building don't go together Jules. Its the quick fix with shoddy tools they always go for. Not that McNabb and Parker are particularly shoddy ... but Dan Snyder does this sort of thing every year.

[quote author=Mersey86 link=topic=39035.msg1088119#msg1088119 date=1271296952]
[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=39035.msg1087827#msg1087827 date=1271255934]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Redskins and building don't go together Jules. Its the quick fix with shoddy tools they always go for. Not that McNabb and Parker are particularly shoddy ... but Dan Snyder does this sort of thing every year.
[/quote]Parker isn't the player he was to be honest. I've watched him deteriorate over the years with occassional flashes of what he was/could have been.
He's a bit like Owen in that because of his size (in particular when he was younger) he relied on his speed and over time, injuries have robbed him of the quickness of old.
Still a good player and can still do a job of course but he isn't a game winner.

Steelers have had internal discussions on trading Roethlisberger

By Jason La Canfora | NFL.com

The Pittsburgh Steelers have had no dialogue with other teams about dealing embattled quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, but have had significant internal discussions about the matter, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

According to the source, ownership remains dismayed and embarrassed by Roethlisberger's actions in a Georgia college town this offseason and find his string of other offseason incidents troubling. The team has been monitoring the public backlash against Roethlisberger closely.

"The Rooneys are livid," the source said.

A Georgia district attorney decided not to hand down sexual-assault criminal charges against Roethlisberger on Monday, but the Steelers, as well as the NFL, could impose their own discipline on him.

Roethlisberger met with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Wednesday.

Steelers President Art Rooney, II will meet with the media Thursday at 2:30 p.m. ET to discuss the Roethlisberger situation, but is not expected to make an announcement regarding and sort of suspension or Punishment for Roethlisberger.

Pittsburgh's front office has talked internally about possible trade scenarios that could be feasible and what makes sense for them moving forward, and, according to a source, if other teams called about Roethlisberger they would listen intently.

The Steelers could envision several trade scenarios but are skeptical about other teams taking on Roethlisberger, given his baggage. However, they also realize his contract is very tradeable in an uncapped year, with the bonuses already paid and Roethlisberger signed for six more years at a very manageable salary for a franchise quarterback ($8.05 million in 2010; $11.6 million per year from 2011-2014, and $12.1 million in 2015).

Roethlisberger could still be punished
Despite the DA's decision not to hand down sexual-assault charges against Ben Roethlisberger, the quarterback might not escape punishment, writes Steve Wyche. More ...

In particular, the Steelers are enamored with likely first-overall pick Sam Bradford. They view him as essentially a sure-thing franchise quarterback and have considered what it would take to move up to the first overall pick in a trade with the Rams, according to a source. They know executing such a move would be highly difficult and figure the Rams have limited interest in Roethlisberger.

Team officials are not worried about how Roethlisberger's return will impact the locker room or how teammates will handle it. The Rooneys' concern is born of the history and prestige of their franchise, the recent fan backlash and public perception about Roethlisberger and their belief that no player is bigger than the team.

However, the source noted that this is not "a Santonio Holmes situation," alluding to Pittsburgh dumping the talented but troubled receiver for a fifth-round pick over the weekend as he faced a four-game suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

"This is not a case of having to get rid of this guy,'" the source said. "There would have to be fair value."

Roethlisberger, selected 11th overall in 2004, has performed at an elite level for the Steelers. He is among the winngest quarterbacks ever for his age and already possesses two Super Bowl rings. His size, improvisational skills, and ability to escape the rush and deliver the ball to all parts of the field make him among the very best in the league.

Should Roethlisberger have another off-field misstep, however, his Steelers career would likely be over, according to team and league sources. And, if a legitimate trade scenario materialized, that end could come much sooner.

Teams that are not committed long-term to a starting quarterback include: Buffalo, Cleveland, Oakland, St. Louis, San Francisco, Denver, Carolina, Seattle, Arizona. The Steelers refused to entertain dealing Holmes within the division and that would apply with Roethlisberger as well. A trade would likely have to involve a quarterback or put the Steelers in position to draft one they like (Pittsburgh is high on its young back-up, Dennis Dixon, however).

Finding the right deal is remote, they know, but not necessarily impossible.

Back
Top Bottom