• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NFL Off Season - FAs, Trades, Draft etc

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=39035.msg1088536#msg1088536 date=1271365457]
It could be worse
[/quote]Really? Our franchise Quarterback is a rapist, our franchise Running back is going, our franchise Wide reciever...... Ok so we've still got Hines!

I like that the Steelers are willing to consider fucking him off, despite the fact he is a major player. I pretty much hate Jerry Jones for being everything the Rooneys and Maras are not.

I know Ernie has underperformed at times, but what a cunt of a trade:

Lions trade Ernie Sims for tight end

By NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

The Lions have acquired tight end Tony Scheffler and a seventh-round pick from Denver and sent linebacker Ernie Sims to Philadelphia as part of a three-team trade.

The Eagles sent a fifth-round pick (137th overall) to Denver. The seventh-rounder the Lions received is the 220th overall pick. They now have four seventh-rounders.

Scheffler, 27, played at Chelsea High and Western Michigan, and when reached by the Denver Post this morning, he answered by saying: “Restore the roar!â€

“It’s going to be surreal walking into that locker room and putting on those clothes for the first time,†Scheffler told the Post.

Tight end is a need because Brandon Pettigrew, the No. 20 overall pick last year, is recovering from a torn ACL and Casey Fitzsimmons retired because of concussions.

Scheffler, who has a one-year deal for $1.176 million as a restricted free agent, has spent four years with the Broncos and caught 31 passes for 416 yards and two touchdowns last season.

The Post reported he is expected to be at Lions headquarters for an off-season practice Tuesday – and excited about playing with quarterback Matthew Stafford.

“Just hearing Jay (Cutler) talk about him — their personalities are different but I think they're very similar about how they play on the field,†Scheffler said. “I'm looking forward to playing with a young quarterback who has an arm like that.â€

Lions spokesman Bill Keenist said the team had nothing to confirm or announce at this time. But the Lions generally do not confirm trades until they are official – including the passing of physicals – and general manager Martin Mayhew has been extremely active this off-season while trying to rebuild the team’s talent base.

Sims, the ninth overall pick in 2006, took heat for his performance last season – in contrast to DeAndre Levy, a third-round pick last year, who drew praise.

But while there were rumblings Sims could be traded, the Lions talked as if Sims would return. And when Larry Foote left as a free agent, it looked like Sims would remain as a starter on the outside while Levy would start in the middle.

The Lions now might need to add a linebacker in the draft Thursday though Saturday.

Sims, drafted to fit the weak side in the Tampa Two defense, struggled with a new defensive scheme and a shoulder injury early in 2009. When he got more comfortable and healthy, he started to play well. Then he suffered a hamstring injury and missed four games. Sims looked strong Dec. 20 against Arizona.

“I’m back,†Sims said then. “I’m back on track. I’m ready to finish this season the way I intended to – with a big bang.â€

Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham said Sims wasn’t perfect against the Cardinals – missing a couple of tackles – but Sims and safety Louis Delmas were the best players on defense. Delmas returned an interception 101 yards for a touchdown.

“We are excited to acquire Ernie Sims,†Philadelphia general manager Howie Roseman said on the Eagles’ Web site. “He plays fast, he's aggressive and his style is a great fit for our defensive scheme. He is a leader who wasa team captain for the Lions and we are eager to see what he can do in our defense.â€

Only 2 days to go then... Any chance of the browns trading up?

The first 4 look nailed on:

1. Bradford
2. Suh
3. McCoy
4. Okung

Maybe Clausen to the Bills at #9?

Washington Redskins quarterback Donovan McNabb has encouraged the team's coaching staff to consider signing free agent wide receiver Terrell Owens, despite the acrimony that marked their time as Philadelphia Eagles teammates, according to multiple sources.

Coach Mike Shanahan told Werder that the Redskins are not actively pursuing Owens. A team source said the Redskins have made upgrading their wide receiver position a high priority, but prefer to avoid bringing Owens into their locker room if another solution can be found.

George - Isn't the draft on Saturday normally?

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=39035.msg1090746#msg1090746 date=1271784740]
Washington Redskins quarterback Donovan McNabb has encouraged the team's coaching staff to consider signing free agent wide receiver Terrell Owens, despite the acrimony that marked their time as Philadelphia Eagles teammates, according to multiple sources.

Coach Mike Shanahan told Werder that the Redskins are not actively pursuing Owens. A team source said the Redskins have made upgrading their wide receiver position a high priority, but prefer to avoid bringing Owens into their locker room if another solution can be found.

George - Isn't the draft on Saturday normally?
[/quote]

The first round on Thursday, April 22. The second and third rounds will take place on Friday, April 23. The final four rounds will be held on Saturday, April 24

Given that the draft will be spread over 3 days. Im wondering if teams may use the extra time to come up with more trading possibilities?

DAMN - talk about destroying 'tradition'!

I wonder how much time each team has on the clock on day 1 as it's only 1 round ...

And now on the clock with 100 minutes ...

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=39035.msg1090752#msg1090752 date=1271785444]

I wonder how much time each team has on the clock on day 1 as it's only 1 round ...

[/quote]

10 mins for the first round as far as I know.

[quote author=ricobats link=topic=39035.msg1090756#msg1090756 date=1271786000]
[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=39035.msg1090752#msg1090752 date=1271785444]

[/quote]

10 mins for the first round as far as I know.
[/quote]

So it's down from 15 and it's only one round on one day? Boooring! ;)

Matt Millen took Mike Williams in 30 seconds because "that's how long it took me to write his name" :)

What a fucking wanker.

And a slow writer.

Lions have the 13th hardest schedule in the league apparently... I thought we were meant to have the 2nd easiest?

Sunday, Sept. 12 -- at Chicago
Sunday, Sept. 19 -- Philadelphia
Sunday, Sept. 26 -- at Minnesota
Sunday, Oct. 3 -- at Green Bay
Sunday, Oct. 10 -- St. Louis
Sunday, Oct. 17 -- at N.Y. Giants
Sunday, Oct. 24 -- BYE
Sunday, Oct. 31 -- Washington
Sunday, Nov. 7 -- N.Y. Jets
Sunday, Nov. 14 -- at Buffalo
Sunday, Nov. 21 -- at Dallas
Thursday, Nov. 25 -- New England
Sunday, Dec. 5 -- Chicago
Sunday, Dec. 12 -- Green Bay
Sunday, Dec. 19 -- at Tampa Bay
Sunday, Dec. 26 -- at Miami
Sunday, Jan. 2 -- Minnesota

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=39035.msg1090884#msg1090884 date=1271798319]
Lions have the 13th hardest schedule in the league apparently... I thought we were meant to have the 2nd easiest?

Sunday, Sept. 12 -- at Chicago
Sunday, Sept. 19 -- Philadelphia
Sunday, Sept. 26 -- at Minnesota
Sunday, Oct. 3 -- at Green Bay
Sunday, Oct. 10 -- St. Louis
Sunday, Oct. 17 -- at N.Y. Giants
Sunday, Oct. 24 -- BYE
Sunday, Oct. 31 -- Washington
Sunday, Nov. 7 -- N.Y. Jets
Sunday, Nov. 14 -- at Buffalo
Sunday, Nov. 21 -- at Dallas
Thursday, Nov. 25 -- New England
Sunday, Dec. 5 -- Chicago
Sunday, Dec. 12 -- Green Bay
Sunday, Dec. 19 -- at Tampa Bay
Sunday, Dec. 26 -- at Miami
Sunday, Jan. 2 -- Minnesota
[/quote]

Its harder to predict how good or bad some teams are going to be these day but that looks like a brute of a schedule.

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=39035.msg1090884#msg1090884 date=1271798319]

Sunday, Sept. 12 -- at Chicago - L
Sunday, Sept. 19 -- Philadelphia - L
Sunday, Sept. 26 -- at Minnesota - L
Sunday, Oct. 3 -- at Green Bay - L
Sunday, Oct. 10 -- St. Louis - W
Sunday, Oct. 17 -- at N.Y. Giants - L
Sunday, Oct. 24 -- BYE
Sunday, Oct. 31 -- Washington - L
Sunday, Nov. 7 -- N.Y. Jets - L
Sunday, Nov. 14 -- at Buffalo - W
Sunday, Nov. 21 -- at Dallas - L
Thursday, Nov. 25 -- New England - W
Sunday, Dec. 5 -- Chicago - W
Sunday, Dec. 12 -- Green Bay - L
Sunday, Dec. 19 -- at Tampa Bay - W
Sunday, Dec. 26 -- at Miami - L
Sunday, Jan. 2 -- Minnesota - L

[/quote]

5-11

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=39035.msg1090904#msg1090904 date=1271799758]
They're out about midnight. It's not what you know...

*taps nose*
[/quote]

Its who you blow....

On paper ours looks ridiculously easy. In comparison with what we've had the last two years.

Regular season
Sunday, Sept. 12 vs. Atlanta, 1 p.m. W

Sunday, Sept. 19 at Tennessee, 1 p.m. L

Sunday, Sept. 26 at Tampa Bay, 1 p.m. W

Sunday, Oct. 3 vs. Baltimore, 1 p.m. W

Sunday, Oct. 10 Bye weeks

Sunday, Oct. 17 vs. Cleveland, 1 p.m. W

Sunday, Oct. 24 at Miami, 1 p.m. W

Sunday, Oct. 31 at New Orleans, 8:20 p.m. L

Monday, Nov. 8 at Cincinnati, 8:30 p.m. W

Sunday, Nov. 14 vs. New England, 8:20 p.m. L

Sunday, Nov. 21 vs. Oakland,1 p.m. W

Sunday, Nov. 28 at Buffalo, 1 p.m. W

Sunday, Dec. 5 at Baltimore, 8:20 p.m. W

Sunday, Dec. 12 vs. Cincinnati, 1 p.m. W

Sunday, Dec. 19 vs. NY Jets, 4:15 p.m. W

Thursday, Dec. 23 vs. Carolina, 8:20 p.m. W

Sunday, Jan. 2 at Cleveland, 1 p.m. W

I think it was Assulin who mentioned how dangerioust he Jets might be next year ... Add another impressive addition and I'm starting to worry he was probably right:

Booed and despised by New York Jets fans for years, Jason Taylor is now on their side.

The former Miami Dolphins linebacker agreed to terms with the AFC East-rival Jets on a two-year contract Tuesday, bolstering a defense that ranked No 1 in the league this past season.

"Clearly, this is one of the premier players in the game, one of the premier pass-rushers in the game," coach Rex Ryan said during a conference call. "We expect Jason to play a bunch and be a major contributor to our defense."

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=39035.msg1090994#msg1090994 date=1271830693]
As I've said for some time, cowboys jets superbowl (even though its in dallas)
[/quote]

Don't think the 'Boys will get to the Super Bowl. A few reasons:

1) Tough Schedule, excellent division
2) Miles Austin - is he for real?
3) OL - will Free be ok to replace Flo? If we have an injury, who the hell goes in there? We have no depth
4) No DL depth past Ratliff
5) Kicking game - still a major worry
6) It's the Cowboys - we've not performed well when it's been 'expected'.

Don't worry. When Jones pulls down equal revenue sharing and makes it market based, you'll be in the Superbowl every year.

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=39035.msg1090725#msg1090725 date=1271781106]
Only 2 days to go then... Any chance of the browns trading up?

The first 4 look nailed on:

1. Bradford
2. Suh
3. McCoy
4. Okung

Maybe Clausen to the Bills at #9?
[/quote]

Aye. Bulaga or Williams to the Chiefs is pretty nailed on to I reckon. And Seattle need a tackle too, so Bulaga/Wiliams will probably fill 5 and 6, order dependant on who Kansas prefer. That leaves Eric Berry on the board. Browns could take him. He is a ridiculous player. Old Al is up at 8. Bruce Campbell is the running joke at that pick, but that would make Al a caricature of himself. Still, if Bulaga and Williams are gone, then I suppose Campbell makes sense in more ways than just Al's "how fast did he run?" formula. Unless he has realised Russell is actually shite. Maybe Jimmy could be going to Oakland. What a nightmare that would be.

Interesting how trades affected the top five back and forth. And how the Rams don't have Bradford tied up yet. His shoulder looked fine on pro day, so either there's a contract problem or the Rams are hoping someone comes in for a trade. Which is fucking retarded because they need a quarterback and they need one now.

Clausen slipping is baffling to me. I mean, we've seen it before with Quinn and Rodgers. Usually it happens because teams are convinced they have a QB who can do the job. Usually they are wrong. I think Clausen is going to be superb, and there are a slew of teams out there that should be drafting him. The interesting one is Seattle. With two picks I thought they would be waiting to see how the QB picks went, but Carroll seems to have staked himself to Whitehurst. I don't know what the fuck Cleveland are doing with Delhomme and Wallace. I guess they just like losing.

Buffalo looks to be a perfect fit. I'd have thought they'd be over the moon about Clausen slipping to 9, but Mel Kiper (who loves Clausen) doesn't seem to think they'll draft him. 49ers maybe? Smith surely has no future.

A person with knowledge of the decision says Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger(notes) will be suspended for four to six games for violating the NFL’s personal conduct policy.

The person spoke to The Associated Press on Wednesday on the condition of anonymity because the league hasn’t announced its decision.

ESPN first reported the suspension.

Both ESPN and FoxSports.com are reporting that the suspension would contain conditions that would allow the length of the ban to be reduced.

Last month a 20-year-old college student accused Roethlisberger of sexually assaulting her in a Georgia nightclub. Last week, prosecutors decided not to charge Roethlisberger in the case.

I guess there's a slight chance if they decide they're done with Big Ben. It's not like they're going to get a number one pick on (de)merit anytime soon, so it would have to be a trade. The Rams would be fucking retarded to give up a potential franchise QB though. Unless they get Ben in the trade. That would be amusing.

Haha. My Saints open up against the team most everyone expected to beat them in the Conference Final.

I haven't really kept up over the close season so far. Will Favre be there?

Childress is saying he expects him back. Favre won;t start stoking up the will-I-won't-I until after the draft hype dies down. Then he'll be the only show in town and his summer circus will kick off again.

Back
Top Bottom