• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best coaches in the world… step forward Ange!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Flange crashing back to earth now that the fixture list is balancing out.

City away next after three straight losses, then West Ham and Newcastle to follow…

Big Flange out chants incoming!!!
Could we see 6 defeats on the bounce? I didn't have them down as that bad but it was obvious their league position lied.

Personally I don't consider Spurs any sort of threat ... the 2nd easiest opening 9 games of any team in the PL (ours one of the top 4 most challenging) and we were robbed of 3 points they have that should have been on our total. They are fighting for 4th. We are going to have a say in the title race.

6 of Spurs' next 7 are tough games. I'll surprised if they are still in the Top 4 after them.

Haha get your excuses in early Dreamy. Ange is about to get found out for the fraud he is (that high line vs Chelsea was about the most naive, inane piece of management I think I've ever seen - did he learn nothing from playing us down to 9 men)? Stupid media boosting with their 'can Spurs win the title'. As if.

OK, everyone is enjoying themselves poking fun at @Dreambeliever and his BFF manager, but having just watched the highlights you have to say - Spurs are a really fun team to watch! They are decimated with injuries, but no matter - they play with a sense of joy and abandon that suits the ethos of that club; the combinations are fluid so much so that any player regardless of position can end up on the end of a clear-cut goal-scoring chance, it’s a whirlwind of creativity and risk-taking.

Emery’s Villa are normally more controlled and rigid, but here they mostly matched Spurs’ energy (and near-suicidal high line tactics) and somehow after about 10 disallowed goals for offside emerged victorious. Watkins’ goal was almost a carbon copy of Trent’s, same kind of touch and a quick finish low into the corner without any back-lift. Absolutely mad game; wish I saw it live.

Last edited:
OK, everyone is enjoying themselves poking fun at @Dreambeliever and his BFF manager, but having just watched the highlights you have to say - Spurs are a really fun team to watch! They are decimated with injuries, but no matter - they play with a sense of joy and abandon that suits the ethos of that club; the combinations are fluid so much so that any player regardless of position can end up on the end of a clear-cut goal-scoring chance, it’s a whirlwind of creativity and risk-taking.

Emery’s Villa are normally more controlled and rigid, but here they mostly matched Spurs’ energy (and near-suicidal high line tactics) and somehow after about 10 disallowed goals for offside emerged victorious. Watkins’ goal was almost a carbon copy of Trent’s, same kind of touch and a quick finish low into the corner without any back-lift. Absolutely mad game; wish I saw it live.

It was a really good game. Probably one of the better ones I've seen this season. Open and end to end. Loads of chances and some brilliant attacking play. Has to be said that both sides displayed some very naïve and poor defending though. Very entertaining.

Son had 3 offside goals and should have had 2 assists. Had him as my captain in FPL and should have gotten at least 20 points but ended with 4.
Ah well, fuck my Fantasy team.

Spurs were unlucky in this game.
Both played well, just shows what happens when your luck goes against you.

It was a really good game. Probably one of the better ones I've seen this season. Open and end to end. Loads of chances and some brilliant attacking play. Has to be said that both sides displayed some very naïve and poor defending though. Very entertaining.

Son had 3 offside goals and should have had 2 assists. Had him as my captain in FPL and should have gotten at least 20 points but ended with 4.
Ah well, fuck my Fantasy team.
I've mentioned this before. Ange's teams are very very naive when it comes to defending (it's why Celtic constantly got battered in Europe). It's no surprise that the teams with the best defensive records sit 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the PL. Even 'Ange-ball' only has Spurs sitting 7th in the Goals For table. Over-rated and it'll stay that way until they learn to defend at the right times.

They’ll easily get better than 8th

Unfortunately I think they will finish higher than 8th but it wouldn't be that outrageous if they didn't. There are at least 7 teams who wouldn't seem out of place finishing above Spurs.

Reactions: mom
Spurs are struggling without Maddison - would have loved him at Liverpool but is prone to missing a 1/3 of a season due to injuries. We need Man City to lose Rodri after Jan window closes.

If Spurs lose this, they will only be 2 pts ahead of Man Utd... o_O (and 7 pts off the top)

He's been unlucky with injuries but the shine has definitely come off his unprecedented run of 3 manager of the month awards to start his time in the Premier League.

I feel like stating that his ideology will triumph over results after the Chelsea match will be a turning point. Brodge Mk II. A good manager whose hubris will be his own undoing.

Everyone gets injuries, so you have to adapt, like when you're down to 8 men in a big game and continue to play the high line

He's been unlucky with injuries but the shine has definitely come off his unprecedented run of 3 manager of the month awards to start his time in the Premier League.

I feel like stating that his ideology will triumph over results after the Chelsea match will be a turning point. Brodge Mk II. A good manager whose hubris will be his own undoing.
Is it hubris? I don't think Ange is quite the same as Brodgers who liked to unpack his amazing tactics every game for the press, as if his players didn't win the thing.

Pretty impressive to come back from a goal down twice away to City.

Fantastic result for us.

Pretty impressive to come back from a goal down twice away to City.

Fantastic result for us.

& when you say "for us", do you mean Liverpool orrrrrr.......

Tbf I'll give big Ange credit, he has balls. The side he had out there had no real right to go to City and get anything but a pasting so fair play......with that said City could've scored about 6 if it wasn't for chances being squandered terribly by the best striker to have ever lived.

Is it hubris? I don't think Ange is quite the same as Brodgers who liked to unpack his amazing tactics every game for the press, as if his players didn't win the thing.

He's definitely more gracious than Rodgers but I do think it's hubris to say you're going to stick to your tactical outlook regardless of the opposition, objectives or situation. Just setting yourself up for failure when you either stop getting results or bail on your ideology. Cf. Ten Hag.

It's disgraceful all those misses by Haaland... great strikers don't miss sitters, surely...

As long as they’re finishing loads of other chances and scoring lots… then, that’s what makes a great striker.

When you’re missing lots and not scoring - that’s where there’s an issue.

Pep giving Ange high praise regarding his tactics.

With this new info I say, fuck Ange!!

Pep probably loved it as they had acres of space to work in, they just fucked up. If it was a low block I'd imagine pep would be much less forgiving

Pep giving Ange high praise regarding his tactics.

With this new info I say, fuck Ange!!
& when you say "for us", do you mean Liverpool orrrrrr.......

Tbf I'll give big Ange credit, he has balls. The side he had out there had no real right to go to City and get anything but a pasting so fair play......with that said City could've scored about 6 if it wasn't for chances being squandered terribly by the best striker to have ever lived.

To be honest - what we are witnessing right now against City is what should have happened a long long time ago when Pep started playing his style. That style has actually been tried - all it is - is pure possession based football of the most aggressive style by getting your defenders into the opposition half to support the midfield and ensuring there is an overload of your players in the opposition space. Obviously if you have sharp intelligent players who are good with ball at feet and can pass quite well, then it is going to help extra, plus with pacey defenders - gives it an extra cheat code.

However, the flaw to Pep's system and its biggest weakness is that if you beat their press and have enough players to support a counter attack they are FUCKED - and this has been the same working model for the last 5 seasons. So what has changed ?

1) The quality of ball playing players with some pace across most teams in the PL has increased
2) Some coaches have decided - fuck Man City we are not going to sit back and let them attack us we are going to do our own thing.
3) City this season have a big loss in Gundo, and Rodri is the sole ball getter, end product on the wings is not what it used to be for them although the trickery and aggressive forward play is still in existence minus KDB.

What Ange did so brilliantly was have his 3 front men at the same level with City's defence, that means they could not overload and support their midfield like they can in most games. Such a simple strategy but effective, and you also have to consider their midfield (Spurs) - it did not have master craftsmen who do the fancy shit, but they all had the ability to dig and defend (fight for the ball) and progress the ball, and counter-press well enough for effective breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom