• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best coaches in the world… step forward Ange!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest - what we are witnessing right now against City is what should have happened a long long time ago when Pep started playing his style. That style has actually been tried - all it is - is pure possession based football of the most aggressive style by getting your defenders into the opposition half to support the midfield and ensuring there is an overload of your players in the opposition space. Obviously if you have sharp intelligent players who are good with ball at feet and can pass quite well, then it is going to help extra, plus with pacey defenders - gives it an extra cheat code.

However, the flaw to Pep's system and its biggest weakness is that if you beat their press and have enough players to support a counter attack they are FUCKED - and this has been the same working model for the last 5 seasons. So what has changed ?

1) The quality of ball playing players with some pace across most teams in the PL has increased
2) Some coaches have decided - fuck Man City we are not going to sit back and let them attack us we are going to do our own thing.
3) City this season have a big loss in Gundo, and Rodri is the sole ball getter, end product on the wings is not what it used to be for them although the trickery and aggressive forward play is still in existence minus KDB.

What Ange did so brilliantly was have his 3 front men at the same level with City's defence, that means they could not overload and support their midfield like they can in most games. Such a simple strategy but effective, and you also have to consider their midfield (Spurs) - it did not have master craftsmen who do the fancy shit, but they all had the ability to dig and defend (fight for the ball) and progress the ball, and counter-press well enough for effective breaks.
It's been this way for years. Spurs style especially with Ange made it extremely difficult for City because they were able to pass themselves out of trouble. At our best we do that too. Same goes for Arsenal.

It's been this way for years. Spurs style especially with Ange made it extremely difficult for City because they were able to pass themselves out of trouble. At our best we do that too. Same goes for Arsenal.

Yeah - their midfield kind of operated like our old Milner-Gini-Henderson way for a bit yesterday, but obviously they could pass better through the lines in yesterday's game and were not up against peak City of the 95points+ stuff.

Maguire got player of the month, so there's still a possibility Ange wins manager of the month for December.....he was unlucky not to win it for a 4th straight month in November.

Just curious. Last time someone on SCM started a thread praising a Spurs manager was the legendary "Juande Ramos!! He shits trophies" thread.

Who started that? Was it Dreamy?
"shits titles" was definitely what DB used to describe Mourinho on multiple occasions, so the M.O. fits

Ha. The short sightedness of this place :D

Injuries killing Spurs.

They’ll be in the mix by Feb

To be fair, Dreamie also said there is no way LFC will win the league this season - so there is hope!

That, my dear boy, is Dreamie cookin’ the mother of all reverse-jinxes.

It’s the least he could do - poor Ryan Fraser was a man with prospects until Dreamie suggested we should sign him in a heart beat - now the poor bastard’s barely scoring for Southampton!!!!

Ha. The short sightedness of this place :D

Injuries killing Spurs.

They’ll be in the mix by Feb

Mate by Feb if they continue how they are they will be in the bottom half of the table. A lot of what Spur's early success beyond Ange tactics was relying on the pace of VDV to constantly get them out of trouble and given the extent of that hamstring injury - it's unlikely he will run as fast as he has been running when he eventually returns.

Yeah they’ll be in the mix alright. For a top 6 spot with Chelsea, Brighton and Utd.

I mean finishing ahead of Utd or Chelsea would actually be a very good result for them. They over achieved in the first few games and raised expectations to an unrealistic extent, they don't have a good enough squad to challenge for the title. Same with Villa, they are doing well but at some point fatigue or a few injuries will deplete them and they will drop off.

I mean finishing ahead of Utd or Chelsea would actually be a very good result for them. They over achieved in the first few games and raised expectations to an unrealistic extent, they don't have a good enough squad to challenge for the title. Same with Villa, they are doing well but at some point fatigue or a few injuries will deplete them and they will drop off.

We all suffer from fatigue and injuries, a lot of teams in the top half have and will play a lot more games than them this season.

Their expectations for the last 10 years has more or less been the same, to stay in and around the top 4.

Utd 6th, Spurs finishing 7th above Chelsea in 8th would be another typical Spursy season. It's amazing how after all these years fans still don't understand it'll all come crashing down for them. I've never once this season thought they'd win or come close to winning anything.

Their expectations for the last 10 years has more or less been the same, to stay in and around the top 4.

Yes, that's right. If they have been targeting the top 4 for that long then really they should be achieving it more easily by now. I actually do think that they will pick up again and they will be around the top 4 again soon enough but so they bloody well should be.

Yes, that's right. If they have been targeting the top 4 for that long then really they should be achieving it more easily by now. I actually do think that they will pick up again and they will be around the top 4 again soon enough but so they bloody well should be.
It'll be a fun race to watch. Only 3 points separating them in 5th to West Ham in 9th now.

Was ridiculous how much praise Ange was getting when Unai all along was going about his business quietly.

Let’s see. You right him off every 4 weeks and he continues to make you look a fool. ;)

What are you talking about? I've never rated him from the start. Never rated him when they were beating a bunch of championship sides and I don't rate him now.

You're the one being made to look a fool for being so committed to sticking your tongue between his fat slobby arse cheeks based on what he did at leagues no body cares about.

What are you talking about? I've never rated him from the start. Never rated him when they were beating a bunch of championship sides and I don't rate him now.

You're the one being made to look a fool for being so committed to sticking your tongue between his fat slobby arse cheeks based on what he did at leagues no body cares about.
You thought he wouldn’t last at Celtic and was all over his poor start there only for him to win it all.

Was ridiculous how much praise Ange was getting when Unai all along was going about his business quietly.

He's the sort of manager who is popular with the media, and I have always got the impression that Spurs are the kind of club that are also popular with the media too so it's not a huge surprise.

You thought he wouldn’t last at Celtic and was all over his poor start there only for him to win it all.
Who the fuck doesn't last at Celtic? Lennon and Rodgers both left.

If you can't last at Celtic you might aswell retire.

Spurs would be 8th right about now if not for VAR fucking up in their favour & that's a fact.

He's the sort of manager who is popular with the media, and I have always got the impression that Spurs are the kind of club that are also popular with the media too so it's not a huge surprise.

Not necessarily talking about praise from the media as I wouldn't expect them to know any better....the media are handpicked people tasked with reading a script of a piece of paper, I'm talking fans and pundits that've been following the game for the best part of 40 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom