• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The rest against Villa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aston Villa have been forced to close their Bodymoor Heath training ground after a "significant" coronavirus outbreak at the club.
Villa say a "large number" of their first-team players and staff have tested positive and first-team training has been cancelled ahead of Friday's FA Cup tie at home to Liverpool.
The club confirmed the positive results were returned after testing on Monday and Thursday this week and revealed it is in talks with the Football Association and the Premier League with regards to future actions.

No club will automatically have to forfeit an FA Cup game if they are affected by coronavirus, with each case to be assessed by the FA on its individual circumstances, Sky Sports News understands. A final decision about the fixture will be made early next week.
The FA has told clubs taking part in the FA Cup third round that they should field a team if they have at least 14 fit players, which can include youth team players, as they seek to avoid a fixture pile-up.

In a statement on Thursday, Villa said: "A large number of first-team players and staff returned positive tests after being routinely tested on Monday and immediately went into isolation.
"A second round of testing was carried out immediately and produced more positive results today.
"First team training ahead of tomorrow's FA Cup match with Liverpool was cancelled.
"Discussions are ongoing between medical representatives of the Club, the Football Association and the Premier League."
Villa's next Premier League game is at home to Tottenham on January 13, before another home match against Everton three days later.

So which one is it? They have to play with 14 non infected players or we will let you next week?

What's going on here then? I read that the FA told Derby they needed to play or forfeit. There is no postponement option.

Why have Southampton and Shrewsbury been allowed to postpone? And now potentially Villa?

It's like a little piece that was hidden away in one of the papers this morning, acknowledging that the number of VAR decisions has declined in recent weeks partly because the refs have indeed been told to revert to their old interpretation of handball. You can't go changing rules like that several months into a season, when some clubs have lost points because of the 'old' interpretation! There really needs to be an independent watchdog to keep these blazered buffoons on the straight and narrow!
That's not surprising as you can see it happening, but also astonishing that it's not been publicised.

What's going on here then? I read that the FA told Derby they needed to play or forfeit. There is no postponement option.

Why have Southampton and Shrewsbury been allowed to postpone? And now potentially Villa?

Apparently Villa don't have any spare match days to accommodate a postponement this month, so they surely must either play the kids or forfeit the tie.

That's not surprising as you can see it happening, but also astonishing that it's not been publicised.

Yes. Amazing it hasn't already sparked widespread complaints, or at least debates.

The number of penalties awarded for handball since the start of last month has returned to pre-VAR levels in the Premier League as a result of referees being permitted to use their discretion.

In the first month of the season record numbers of spot kicks were being given for handball as referees followed to the letter rules laid down by Fifa and the game’s lawmaking body, the International FA Board (Ifab).

Six penalties were awarded for handball in September in the first 28 games of the season — one every 4.7 games, and the same as the total given in 380 matches in the 2017-18 season.

After an outcry from players, managers and pundits, Mike Riley, the managing director of the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL), the referees’ body, approached Ifab at the end of September asking for permission to soften the officials’ approach and take into account the context of each incident.

The Uefa president, Aleksander Ceferin, also wrote to his Fifa counterpart, Gianni Infantino, raising concerns about the new handball interpretation being used alongside VAR.

Ifab gave the green light for referees to use their discretion and the guidance for English officials stated that handball should not be given if the player’s hand or arm is in an expected position for their stance or movement.

As a result, there was only one handball penalty in the Premier League in October, three in November and two in the 70 top-flight matches played since the start of December — one every 35 games.

This also explains why appeals for handball, such as the incident involving Southampton’s Jack Stephens against Liverpool on Monday, are being waved away when they would probably have led to a penalty in September. Officials took the view, in this case, that Stephens’s arm had been in a natural position and that he did not have time to react to the ball.

A PGMOL source said: “The new guidance from Ifab has clearly helped and there were quite a few incidents over Christmas where the ball struck players’ hands without penalties being given because their arms were part of the expected body shape".

No club will automatically have to forfeit an FA Cup game if they are affected by coronavirus, with each case to be assessed by the FA on its individual circumstances, Sky Sports News understands. A final decision about the fixture will be made early next week.
Typical FA to schedule a decision about a fixture 4 days after it is due to happen ...

That usually happens when you die in such circumstances, you go all fat and bloated. People then write epitaphs about how amazing you were, when we all know it's a load of bollocks.

Keita needs a Weekend at Bernie's treatment. Hendo and Milner should just run around holding him up and then throw him in the air at corners and stuff like that. It would at least be more entertaining than the last match.

As we are playing the FA will probably leave their decision till 19:44.

For want of a better place ..
a4d6ea94d15642ca281a4a1931cfdaa3.jpg

Aston Villa are preparing to field a team of youngsters in Friday's FA Cup third-round tie at home to Liverpool after a "significant" Covid-19 outbreak at the club.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55575321
I will be so pissed If we don't put seven or more pass Villa they way they did when they played our youths

Hopefully everyone plays their kids and have a chill night out.
No injuries.
No covid.
At this stage I couldn't care less about the FA Cup

Much less risk of fielding a second string. I wonder if we'd be tempted to play some of our own U23s now too.

-----------Kelleher-----------
Neco---Rhys--Nat---Milner-
------Jones---Clarkson-----
--------------Ox---------------
U23--------Origi-------Taki

I would definitely not play any of the usual starting xi. Couldn't give a fuck about the fa cup

Play the "first 11", rack up a 9-0 win and restore confidence ...

... or play an unmotivated first 11, play out a dull, uninspiring 0-0, against Villa U23s, lose in a penalty shoot out, and destroy confidence for the rest of the season

hmmm

I don't even think it would be a confidence boost if they twatted them

We twatted palace and we've been a fucking awful run since

Play the "first 11", rack up a 9-0 win and restore confidence ...

... or play an unmotivated first 11, play out a dull, uninspiring 0-0, against Villa U23s, lose in a penalty shoot out, and destroy confidence for the rest of the season

hmmm
They would need to able to score, in the first place, wouldn't you say?

Aston Villa's FA Cup tie with Liverpool on Friday night is expected to go ahead but Wednesday's Premier League game against Tottenham is in doubt after an outbreak of coronavirus in the first-team squad.
Villa are set to be without their entire first team, along with boss Dean Smith and assistants John Terry, Craig Shakespeare and Richard O'Kelly, as they are isolating.

It means the Premier League side will be relying on their U23s and U18s, who were all tested for the virus on Thursday, for the tie to go ahead. Results are being fast-tracked so the club can know by Friday lunchtime.

Villa's U23s coach Mark Delaney will take charge of the team, if the game goes ahead.
Sky Sports News has been told that Villa's hierarchy are hopeful the youth players are clear of the virus.

Yeah, this bit is quite essential for us you know...

We scratched their back last season, so I guess it's our turn to play their kids.

Aston Villa are preparing to field a team of youngsters in Friday's FA Cup third-round tie at home to Liverpool after a "significant" Covid-19 outbreak at the club.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55575321
I will be so pissed If we don't put seven or more pass Villa they way they did when they played our youths

I must admit I'm puzzled by all the bubbles. One report said that Villa are assembling a squad from all the kids 'outside the first team bubble'. But presumably bubbles are a good thing, so one would hope that all the ones outside one bubble are inside another bubble. But kids seem the least likely to stay inside a bubble. So I just hope they all get tested properly. In their bubble. I'd much prefer us to stay in Liverpool and just have the bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom