• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

IF

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark1975

...we beat United, how's our season looking so far?

Underwhelmed slightly with the performances of Carroll, Downing and Henderson, though I think there's more to come from the first two. Delighted that Suarez has more or less picked up where he left off. The dropped points against Sunderland, Spurs and Stoke seem a bit typical of us and there are bound to be more performances like that before the season is out. I didn't want any defeats at this point, though at least we're sort of going for teams and trying to win, which is why we've probably got so few draws.

In short, the new signings bar maybe Enrique and to a degree Adam have played a significant part, while there's more to come once the team gels. We also have the prospect of Bellamy at some point as I'm sure either form or injuries will see him given a run, in which case we'll have that added pace and unpredictability.

7/10?

If we beat United and are 3 points behind them after 8 games, then it has to be a major success so far and about as good as could be reasonably expected.

I'd give that a 9/10. Although I'm basing that on previous seasons.

We're paying the price of too much meddling in the summer. I don't think this team 'needs to gel'. Frankly I think that's a cover for 'oh, we've paid a lot of money and bought some pretty average players'.

There's been a bit of everything from Liverpool this season, the good, the bad and the ugly. We're going to have to start putting a run of wins together soon.

6/10.

3 pts behind Manure after 8 games, as Gerry says, is a very good start considering how many players we're trying to get 'in tune' and having no Gerrard really.

If we're still 3 points behind after 20 games, we'll win the league.

If we beat united we're doing good, better than everyone seems to think. There is more to come from this team, that's for sure, and I'm sure we'll start seeing it soon.

On a side note, by the end of the season I think Henderson will be showing us his worth.

i'd give us 6/10 so far, but a win against utd would be massive, and possibly bump that up to 8/10.

basically, i think the results have been about adequate, but the performances and team selections slightly worrying, with major question marks remaining over the signings of adam, carroll, downing and henderson.

I'd prefer if we look beyond this game and fucking finish somewhere in the top 3 if possible. Manure game is important but more importantly is how we fucking finish in May.

I'd take a loss or a draw against Manure next week if it makes us a top three team come end May. We have been to fucking long not playing in the CL.

Beating Utd will demonstrate that this team is able to rise to the occasion of beating a top side on the back of some pretty indifferent form but I'm not sure it will or should radically change the view of our season's progress thus far.

As others have indicated it's been a bit of a mixed bag as we've dropped some points we shouldn't have and picked up others where we've not played particularly well. Our overall points haul is reasonable enough however and we're in and around the top four which is good.

The main point of concern really is the level of our performances. The glimpses of last seasons form have been rare and whilst we are bedding in several new recruits I think it's fair to say that most people expected us to start a little better (performance wise) than we have done.

Yeah if we beat the Manc Scum then our start to the season will have been a very good one.

3 points off many people's tip to be Champions again, so we couldn't complain too much.

The promising thing is, we have two very winnable games after this - Norwich at home, and West Brom away.
Although you know what we're like...get the points against the top sides and drop them against the lesser sides. >:(

[quote author=Buddha link=topic=47107.msg1409266#msg1409266 date=1317819119]
And Swansea at home after that...
[/quote]

So it is. Nice one. 3 very winnable games then.

I'd be happy enough with 10 points from a possible 12 in our next 4 games.

There have been so many threads like this over the years. We'll probably lose to Man Utd and then draw our next two games.

[quote author=gene hughes link=topic=47107.msg1409291#msg1409291 date=1317821610]
There have been so many threads like this over the years. We'll probably lose to Man Utd and then draw our next two games.
[/quote]

2 points from 9? steady on. we're not that good.

[quote author=gene hughes link=topic=47107.msg1409291#msg1409291 date=1317821610]
[/quote]

That's the spirit!

[quote author=The_Rule link=topic=47107.msg1409240#msg1409240 date=1317816251]
I'd prefer if we look beyond this game and fucking finish somewhere in the top 3 if possible. Manure game is important but more importantly is how we fucking finish in May.

I'd take a loss or a draw against Manure next week if it makes us a top three team come end May. We have been to fucking long not playing in the CL.
[/quote]

Fucking amazing insight.

IF we beat United i will be absolutely over the moon with our start to the season, beating the leaders and the favourites would be absolutely awesome for us.

We have not started red-hot but we do look determined enough and stronger than last season, we could possibly have spent our money better and indeed not sold Meirelles to Chelsea but that now is academic. We have what we have and others have what they have.

I think we do have enough quality to challenge and IF we can show that and get 3 points at old toilet then it would be churlish to complain. A great performance will be needed to win the game and i think we can do it.

Also it could be noted that we will have played Man U, Arsenal, Everton, Spurs and Stoke all away from home leaving just Chelsea and Man city as our really tough remaining away fixtures and its still will only be game 8.

I think we will have a right to feel positive if we get a result there.

......That and the fact that i fucking hate mancs

My biggest issue (surprise surprise) is Carroll and how he doesn't fit the way the team was playing in the second half of last season, the loss of Miereles is also major IMO. I'd rather have had Ming/Lucas in MF than Lucas/Adam however Lucas/Gerrard and Adam/Hendo on the bench is of course much much better.

All that said, Spurs aside the matches we lost we should have won ... and who knows what might have happened at Spurs had we had 11 men on the pitch, it certainly wouldn't have been 4-0.

We'll get better, much better now that SG is back. Our bench is strong, our defence (despite reservations) is performing well. And our attack is hardly mis-firing but could improve, we will start finishing games like Stoke / Sunderland before they get a chance to get back into them.

IF we beat United then it's 8.5/10, a draw and it's 7.5/10, a loss and it's 7/10.

Big game eh?

We win and we are right in the hunt for top 4.

We lose and we are 9 points off top and drop out of the top 6 most likely.

'IF' we win I will be delighted as after the Stoke game I feared the worst.

It would be 10/10 considering our start for the last 4 years.

Mark - if we beat United - I don't think it will mean anything to be honest - its an early victory that will probably - as usual give us a false sense of belief that we are really good - like we thought after the way we played against Bolton. What Fergie said in the papers recently is more true than anything else - I think the support and the motivation of the players is much higher in these games against United, especially at home and that usually gives us victory. Come the next game - if we don't win and they do then we have not really achieved anything. If after beating them we go onto win the next 5 games or win 3 games and draw 2 then one can say its a good step. Otherwise - its the same old shitty story, and in many ways quite demeaning - because it kind of means we just play well against them because they are them and there is no long-term thinking about how to carry that success forward into the next 5 games at least. The players and fans must realise that the league has 16 other teams in it and we need to fight against all of them.

[quote author=Dreambeliever link=topic=47107.msg1409490#msg1409490 date=1317852635]
Big game eh?

We win and we are right in the hunt for top 4.

We lose and we are 9 points off top and drop out of the top 6 most likely.

'IF' we win I will be delighted as after the Stoke game I feared the worst.

It would be 10/10 considering our start for the last 4 years.

[/quote]

points after 8 games:

2007/08: 16
2008/09: 20
2009/10: 15

2011/12 IF we beat utd: 16

i think that'd be a pretty generous 10/10!

Won't beat utd, they are due a win. What's it now, 3 yrs since they beat us at home?

[/quote]

There's almost no way we'll win now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom