• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Is Shelvey The Messiah ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
jonjo-shelvey.jpg

Let's get down to basics: Which hat would suit him best? I'm inclined to send him one of these:

purple.jpg

but he'd probably find comfort with one of these:

failsworth-multi-coloured-tweed-flat-cap-product-1-3206419-036452127_full.jpeg

My grandad used to have two of these - one for outdoors and one for indoors, so they're very functional.

Is Shelvey actually medically bald? Is he shaving a full head of hair or does he just have none or is it a balding situation or what? Is he going to turn up at one stage with a mop of ginger curls?

It didn't yesterday.
We were the better team for the final fifty minutes with ten men
Indeed the new system helped us, keeping possession is the ideal way to offset being a man down, what didn't help was bring on that near geriatric little ginger fucker, when is going to retire properly.

How many of those tackles do you see Xavi or Iniesta (other CM's who "can never pull out of that tackle") jump into?
didn't you used to rate shelvey? am i making that up or are you discarding him like a pair of your shitty khaki pants?

didn't you used to rate shelvey? am i making that up or are you discarding him like a pair of your shitty khaki pants?

"shitty khaki pants" - What? Did that make sense in your head?

And I wrote a decent summation of Shelvey a few pages back if you're that keen.

I love Shelvey. It's a breath of fresh hair watching him express himself and exude an air of confidence out there. I predicted to my house mate that he'd be sent off against United. He likes a tackle (which he needs to control) and was always going to try stamp his authority on the match. He's a very interesting player and I hope he matures into a regular for us. I want to see him higher up the pitch. He has the self confidence and ambition to make something happen. It's a pity Henderson doesn't have a set of balls like Jonjo as I think there is a player lurking inside Henderson that we are yet to see.

Didn't say a CM should pull out of a tackle, but there are ways to tackle that don't require you to go in as he and Evans did. To be fair to him I didn't think it was a sending off and if it was they both should have gone.

I probably would be more forgiving it he was a match winner, but he isn't currently and may never be. Where we are now we need people who we can rely upon and we can't have him in the team when he is liable to get sent off every game, which with the way he tackles is a distinct possibility.

Fuck me it is hard enough for us to score with 11 players let alone 10.

The ball was there to be won, he went in with one foot first and won the fucking thing. You just said yourself "to be fair to him I don't think it was a sending off", so which is it? You'd be more forgiving of him making a tackle you didn't think was a sending off if he was a match winner? You need to seriously rethink this one.

As for Ryan's point about Xavi and Iniesta, that's all well and good - in Spain. Yaya Toure is quality and an absolute beast of a player, but he's EXACTLY the sort of player who'd make the same sort of tackle, because he's a winner and fighter.

The ball was there to be won, he went in with one foot first and won the fucking thing. You just said yourself "to be fair to him I don't think it was a sending off", so which is it? You'd be more forgiving of him making a tackle you didn't think was a sending off if he was a match winner? You need to seriously rethink this one.

Saying it wasn't a sending off doesn't mean it was a good tackle, you can still win the ball without diving in like that. We all know Ref's no matter how good or bad are going to punish those types of tackles.

I wasn't referring to his tackle when I was saying I'd be more forgiving of him. I was talking about his general play, in the league, granted we have only played 4 games and he has started 2 but in those games how many assists has he had, how many chances has he created, how many goals has he scored?

You would expect the attacking midfielder to have at least created something, wouldn't you?

Maybe I am expecting too much of him, but in an attacking midfield role I would rather take a chance on someone such as Suso who has an eye for a pass to split defences open rather than a player who is more likely to get sent off than setup a chance.

Saying it wasn't a sending off doesn't mean it was a good tackle, you can still win the ball without diving in like that. We all know Ref's no matter how good or bad are going to punish those types of tackles.

I wasn't referring to his tackle when I was saying I'd be more forgiving of him. I was talking about his general play, in the league, granted we have only played 4 games and he has started 2 but in those games how many assists has he had, how many chances has he created, how many goals has he scored?

You would expect the attacking midfielder to have at least created something, wouldn't you?

Maybe I am expecting too much of him, but in an attacking midfield role I would rather take a chance on someone such as Suso who has an eye for a pass to split defences open rather than a player who is more likely to get sent off than setup a chance.

He scored two goals on Thursday for god sake.

"shitty khaki pants" - What? Did that make sense in your head?

And I wrote a decent summation of Shelvey a few pages back if you're that keen.
i was very drunk when i wrote that, i have no idea what i even meant to be honest

Its still not a red card imho. The refereeing standard in the Premier League is horrendous, and its not worty a league that wants to call itself one of the worlds best.

Seeing Luiz getting booked for his challenge on Walters and then Shelvey getting sent off for his. Its so inconsistent and frustrating.

If he pulled out of that tackle I bet some would be calling him a shithouse coward.
No doubt it was reckless but he couldn't pull out of it either.
Ferdinand and Giggs played a huge part in getting the kid sent off.
Respect campaign me bollix,when Suarez went to Halsey over Van Persie's tackle on Suso he was told to get lost straight away.

Thing is, it wasn't just a case of:
Option A: jump into a challenge with Jonny Evans
Option B: duck out of a challenge with Jonny Evans

There were other options open to him. Perhaps most notably, he could have challenged for the ball in such a way that he didn't get a red card. I love Shelvey, but it wasn't a good challenge, and our only real complaint can be that Evans didn't get a red card too.

The ball skipped away from him having won another hard challenge an instant earlier. He couldn't do anything other than go for the ball. I mean he could have bottled it, but he wouldn't have been the Messiah if he had.

He's been shit for 4 or 5 games, it's making it look like any decent performances from him were flukes. I don't see what the boss see's in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom