• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

January Dealings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really rate Ait Nouri
In mid-nov I’d have possibly agreed with you but after a few games on the bounce Tsimikas was a fecking star. So no thanks, alls well. Robbo and Tsimikas can fight it out for first choice and we can test out Beck as and when opportunity presents

In mid-nov I’d have possibly agreed with you but after a few games on the bounce Tsimikas was a fecking star. So no thanks, alls well. Robbo and Tsimikas can fight it out for first choice and we can test out Beck as and when opportunity presents

I think he'll be better than both Robbo and Tsimikas, who are 29 and 27 respectively, in a few years.

Ait-Nouri is 23. Beck is 21. So effectively the long term replacements for our left side.

Forward planning is the way to go this summer.

I think he'll be better than both Robbo and Tsimikas, who are 29 and 27 respectively, in a few years.

Ait-Nouri is 23. Beck is 21. So effectively the long term replacements for our left side.

Normally I'd absolutely agree with that thinking ... however we are top of the PL, currently 5 points clear, with 17 games to go. I'm not one for saying buy buy buy ... but on this occasion if there is something we could do (with a senior, established player) to strengthen a weakness, then we should do it. We're in 4 competitions with a great chance to win at least 3 of them.

The apparent asking price is 50m. There is no way we are paying that for a back-up LB with potential who wouldn't start.

I tend to agree that a LB and forward will be on the agenda in the summer.

The priority will likely be a CB - but I haven’t quite ruled out Van den Berg being given a chance.

I accept he probably won’t - but. I kind of want our kids to break into the team.

I tend to agree that a LB and forward will be on the agenda in the summer.

The priority will likely be a CB - but I haven’t quite ruled out Van den Berg being given a chance.

I accept he probably won’t - but. I kind of want our kids to break into the team.

For me a CB in the 24-26 range who could be a starter / rotation is what I’d want, to complement Ibu, Virgil & Quansah. Possibly then an experienced CB who is unbreakable, then sell Matip.

Normally I'd absolutely agree with that thinking ... however we are top of the PL, currently 5 points clear, with 17 games to go. I'm not one for saying buy buy buy ... but on this occasion if there is something we could do (with a senior, established player) to strengthen a weakness, then we should do it. We're in 4 competitions with a great chance to win at least 3 of them.
Agree but who works that be though?

I can't think of any wise old head out there that would provide an instant boost for us this season. Maybe Palhinha?

For me a CB in the 24-26 range who could be a starter / rotation is what I’d want, to complement Ibu, Virgil & Quansah. Possibly then an experienced CB who is unbreakable, then sell Matip.

Wouldn’t Gomez be that first one - the starter/rotation

Matip’s out of contract - so selling isn’t an option - he might get a reduced term extension to help him recover fitness.

For me it’s Van den Berg or buy someone else who starts in rotation and might not play much.

Unless we’re expecting not to extend Virgil and we want his replacement lined up with time to bed in - which I can’t see.

Agree but who works that be though?

I can't think of any wise old head out there that would provide an instant boost for us this season. Maybe Palhinha?
Honestly no idea. Have to hope the coaching team / Klopp know where and when to strengthen. 17 games - we can do it so long as we get a little more luck with injuries and / or strengthen for cover in the right position.

I really rate Ait Nouri
Is he one of those players who is brilliant when playing against us but average against everyone else? I put him in my fantasy team last season after a typically swash buckling game against us and then I'd barely a point out of him it seemed.

Is he one of those players who is brilliant when playing against us but average against everyone else? I put him in my fantasy team last season after a typically swash buckling game against us and then I'd barely a point out of him it seemed.

Very possibly. I went to the Wolves game at their place last year and he was absolutely immense against Salah... so I have formed my opinion based mostly of this

Wouldn’t Gomez be that first one - the starter/rotation

Matip’s out of contract - so selling isn’t an option - he might get a reduced term extension to help him recover fitness.

For me it’s Van den Berg or buy someone else who starts in rotation and might not play much.

Unless we’re expecting not to extend Virgil and we want his replacement lined up with time to bed in - which I can’t see.

Gomez is now showing he is a brilliant option at full back. My view is we keep him there rather than try to have him cover all positions.

Is Van den Berg doing well at CB on his current loan? At Preston they used him as a RWB I recall. He doesn't look like he's close to having the build to be a PL defender for at least another 2 years of physical development.

Gomez is now showing he is a brilliant option at full back. My view is we keep him there rather than try to have him cover all positions.

Is Van den Berg doing well at CB on his current loan? At Preston they used him as a RWB I recall. He doesn't look like he's close to having the build to be a PL defender for at least another 2 years of physical development.

I know Gomez is doing great as a FB, but we have Robbo & Greek Scouser at LB, with Trent and Bradley at RB - I also think Badger’s way into the team is at RB.

We know Trent and Virgil will generally start if fit, Konate is probably the first choice CB and up until this season Robbo would be locked in at LB.

It’s not certain he’ll get another opportunity at FB - you’d have to think Gomez will revert to primarily being a CB at some point.

After a rocky start, I believe Van den Berg has started to really show some form - there were stats posted somewhere that suggested he was doing very well.

… it’s time to send up the Binny Signal @King Binny - help us you’re our only hope!!!

Very possibly. I went to the Wolves game at their place last year and he was absolutely immense against Salah... so I have formed my opinion based mostly of this
That was probably the game that had me putting him in.

I know Gomez is doing great as a FB, but we have Robbo & Greek Scouser at LB, with Trent and Bradley at RB - I also think Badger’s way into the team is at RB.

We know Trent and Virgil will generally start if fit, Konate is probably the first choice CB and up until this season Robbo would be locked in at LB.

It’s not certain he’ll get another opportunity at FB - you’d have to think Gomez will revert to primarily being a CB at some point.

After a rocky start, I believe Van den Berg has started to really show some form - there were stats posted somewhere that suggested he was doing very well.

… it’s time to send up the Binny Signal @King Binny - help us you’re our only hope!!!

Challenge I see to Gomez at CB is that he is very patchy there, but he is looking revived and really top quality at full back. I'd sell Kostas and have Gomez there. He can rotate with Robbo on the left, as he fits that role more naturally of creating a back 3 when Trent roams.

Now is the time to get some bodies in who can become mainstays of our CB group. For me that will be Virgil, Konate, Quansah + 1 or 2 new heads.

I think this season has shown that we need the squad depth and that there will always be injuries. Gomez has shown that he can play anywhere in the backline (although I agree that he isnt the best CB anymore. But he's homegrown and can play multiple positions so he'll be a valuable member of the squad going forward. Rather we have one to many options in all honesty.

Just checked his stats over the past two seasons. He only played 21 league games last season with 1 goal and no assists. Quite a few injury problems but was also dropped for a number of big games. He has always played when fit this season with 17 games (no goals or assists), but still had an injury that kept him out for a run of games. I wonder about his robustness though. He came off with a knock/ supposed injury in 4 games this season, but played the next game each time. *edit: I tell a lie, one of the injuries did see him miss the next 3 games.

I would have said a little while back that we would be looking at a fairly major change in defence in the summer.

I don't think that now, mainly due to Van Dijk not yet showing signs of slowing down, Konate and Gomez having good seasons and the emergence of Quansah and Bradley.

So I do think we will buy one centre back and I think we may sell Tsimikas, and I think that might be about it.

I think Matip will get an extension, but whether he actually ever plays for us again, we shall see.

I like the look of Ait-Nouri from what little I've seen of him.I'd be happy to see him in a red shirt, and a move would, of course, instantly banish any suspicion that he might be a cunt (just being consistent with what I posted in the "hate on" thread).
I think this is one of those times where we might need to be ruthless. Robertson has been one of the best in the world in his position, but he has played a lot of football and done a lot of hard running. It's possible his physicality is on the wane and he could drop off a cliff the way Fabinho did. I would expect the conditioning guys at Kirkby to know that. Some on here have been calling out his form for a while. Personally, I've not been as concerned about his performances, but there's definitely a drop-off, some of which may be positional with Trent inverting into the middle.
But this feels to me like the club may be ready to line up a long-term successor, and either Robertson moves on or he accepts he's going to be rotated a lot. In that sense, spending £50m on a long-term replacement doesn't seem like bad business, and much as I love Tsimilas, I'm not convinced by him as a first choice.
But the other thing we need to address with Robertson is the off the pitch stuff. We need as many no-bullshit leaders in the dressing room as we can get, and he absolutely fits the bill on that score, so we need to think about how to manage the dynamics as well as the footballing side. I don't think he's the kind of guy who's going to throw his toys out of the pram if he's made to play second fiddle if he knows he's not up to being first choice anymore - kind of a Scottish James Milner - but we will need to manage the money side too - you don't pay first choice wages to second choice players.

Liverpool are prepared to offer Atalanta £40m to sign midfielder Teun Koopmeiners, according to one report.
The Reds already recruited four new midfielders last summer - Alexis Mac Allister, Dominik Szoboszlai, Wataru Endo and Ryan Gravenberch - but continue to be linked with new signings in the engine room.
With Thiago's contract expiring at the end of the season and Liverpool highly unlikely to renew it, Jurgen Klopp may be keen to bring a new face into midfield soon.
Fluminense's Andre was a player regularly linked with the Reds in the January transfer window, while Anfield Watch understands that Genoa defensive midfielder Morten Frendrup is on Liverpool's radar.
However, according to Italian outlet La Gazzetta Dello Sport (via FourFourTwo), a player that the Reds are pursuing is Teun Koopmeiners of Atalanta, with the Reds even ready to bid £40m for his services.
The report states that Atalanta would rather sell Koopmeiners to a foreign club over a Serie A rival, with Newcastle United the other side named as potential suitors.
Given Newcastle's current financial situation, Gazzetta report that Liverpool could move for him unopposed this winter.
The 20-cap Netherlands international is a versatile midfielder - something that Klopp likes - and is capable if playing in either a holding midfield role or as a box-to-box player.
The 25-year-old continually impresses for La Dea, providing 11 goal contributions from midfield this season (7G, 4A).
Koopmeiners is a player that Liverpool captain Virgil van Dijk will know well from the national team, as will Reds forward Cody Gakpo.
However, Liverpool are highly unlikely to make any signings this January, and it's expected that they will strengthen their defence before making any more midfield additions.
Therefore, Koopmeiners, who has been linked with Anfield in the past, may not be a prime candidate for Klopp, and he certainly won't be signing for the Reds this winter.

Robinson is more well rounded, quicker stronger better defensively and better suited if you want an overlapping full back.........Ait Nouri has more skill and better on the ball but wouldn't be going near him given all the niggling injuries he seems to endure.

Plus we got Robbo - Kostas - Gomez - Beck.

Focus on getting a CB or 2. Or if Baj won't play again this season I'd be ok to see him go out loan somewhere with the view to being sold and bringing in a new DM.

Liverpool are lining up a bid for Sporting CP centre back Goncalo Inacio, according to a report.

The 22-year-old was tipped as a possible target for Liverpool last summer, before signing a contract extension in Lisbon.

However, that new deal came with a release clause set at €60m (£51.5m), leading to speculation that the Reds could make a move in January or this summer.

According to Portuguese outlet Correio da Manha, Liverpool will 'prepare a proposal' for Inacio, who has become a priority target.

Will be interesting to see Robbo when he returns. He has needed a rest for 2 years now, and it is great that his injury was his shoulder and not anything that will affect his game. He could come back completely revitalised and ready to operate at top level for another 2 seasons. Before the injury though he looked dead on his feet, and he was also struggling a bit with the extra onus on him with Trent's drifting role.

I wouldn’t be as hasty to sell Tsimikas as some - again he’s a good squad option who seems happy to part of the team and not start regularly - there’s a lot to be said for someone who adds depth, clearly loves bring here and isn’t going to sack like a wanker if he’s not playing every week.

Him and Gomez are very similar in that respect and they’re also the type of players that need a few games to start building form - I like Gomez - it’s no surprise he’s looking good after a consistent run - in past he’d be dropped after 2 games - Tsimikas is the same - looked a bit lost when in his first couple of games in for Robbo and then… bam… starts to put in some good performances before an unlucky injury.

I think the LB question is more around is Robbo on a decline and is young Beck capable of making a case for more regular involvement in the first team.

It’s more than likely we will replace Matip with a new CB - I’d love to see VdB given a chance - but it’s more likely he be a Gruijic type player that doesn’t quite make it and gets sold on for £20m or so.

It’s not really a question we need to answer in the next few weeks - Robbo’s due back, Quansah’s stepped up and if the worst happens, Nat Phillips is still an option.

I think we’re good in defence right now.

I mean… Koopmeiners & Inacio both sound like Agent drumming up big fat signing on fee or new contract biz!!!

I definitely don’t think we need a new midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom