• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Kolo Toure deal agreed !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Course it does, that's why we had to rely upon a player most people had down as finished the season previous.
That has NOTHING to do with experience Mark.
But by all means carry on.

That has NOTHING to do with experience Mark.
But by all means carry on.

What are you talking about? Of course it does. So what's "the" point about experience then? That they both have it because they're pushing 30? If it's not making a significant difference to what they bring to the side, what's the point in using it as an attribute? They both had to be bailed out by a guy on his last legs, so what was the point of their experience then?

It's like saing every pensioner is wise in the ways of the World.

I'm not talking about what's in the history books, I'm talking about what's clearly visible on the pitch. Put the fucking chalk board away you boring cunt.

It's spreadsheets I rely on you stupid cock.

And you're not talking about experience, you're talking about a mixture of ability and leadership. You fuckwit.

Experience is one of the worst things to buy a player for l.

It's spreadsheets I rely on you stupid cock.

And you're not talking about experience, you're talking about a mixture of ability and leadership. You fuckwit.

Experience is one of the worst things to buy a player for l.

Oncy was saying that we already have experience in Agger and Skrtel, it's not enough experience to be particularly decisive in any way, the only way experience is decisive is in those terms, particularly through leadership, which doesn't have to be by shouting your mouth off, but by leading by example - the fact Carragher had to be reintroduced to the side illustrated that no one at the back had the necessary qualities to take younger players under their wing , no one was using their experience to make the difference. Carragher himself struggled a few years back without players like Hyypia, so it's not just a quality, it something that will eventually come to the fore when you have enough experience to use and the right mentality to channel it - something neither Agger or Skrtel were capable of last season. So yes they're both experienced but it counts for nothing in terms of it being relied upon, as opposed to going for an older head, or indeed a more natural leader.

So it's not different at all, and I'm not advocating buying Toure for "experience", I'm not saying we should have bought him at all (as I've repeated enough times now), I was saying that Oncy's point about experience was neither here nor there. Experience in terms of playing in title winning sides is far removed from having experience because, you know, you're 29.

As for you siding with the point, obviously that was just you being typically pedantic, given you've been as vocal as anyone about how overrated our defense was the season before last when Skrtel and Agger partnered each other. I'm as anti-Glen Johnson as anyone but even I can see it wasn't all his fault.

What are you talking about? Of course it does. So what's "the" point about experience then? That they both have it because they're pushing 30? If it's not making a significant difference to what they bring to the side, what's the point in using it as an attribute? They both had to be bailed out by a guy on his last legs, so what was the point of their experience then?

It's like saing every pensioner is wise in the ways of the World.
Youre being really silly.
This will end up with you having a mini meltdown and tossing your flock of seagulls all over the place.
Agger and Skrtel have BAGS of experience.
I dont want to talk to you anymore.

Just as an aside, I made no point about experience at all.
Hansern made a comment about AFTER Agger our age drop.
I merely pointed out that AFTER Agger is irrellevant as we HAVE Agger.....and Skrtel.

My point is simply that that argument is retarded.
Its similar to the one that says 'If Spurs didnt have Bale they would be shit!'
YES but they HAVE Bale.

Right I agree with both Mark and Oncy upon reflection.

Oncy is correct in saying Agger and Skrt are experienced.

Mark is correct in saying experience means fuck all.

So what good is Toure then is what I need to understand

90k per week for a 32 year old has been "squad" player doesn't make business sense especially that we are not in Europe.

My point is simply that that argument is retarded.
Its similar to the one that says 'If Spurs didnt have Bale they would be shit!'
YES but they HAVE Bale.

It's not the same at all, now who's being silly. I'm not saying if we didn't have Agger we'd need experience, I'm saying we do have Agger (and Skrtel) and we still lack the necessary qualities at the back, whether it be experience, leadership or organisational skills, whatever. It's a moot point, the drift I got was that we didn't need experience in those terms because we already have two 29 year old defenders - but they lack the necessary qualities, whatever their age, so clearly we do need "something", I'm not saying that's Toure but I could see the point Hansern was making about going for someone with the experience of winning titles, playing in high pressured games, etc. I'm not in agreement about the chosen player, but the point about the attributes is valid to some extent.

Anyway..... I'm not sold on Kelly but I hope Wisdom gets a shot at centre back this season in place of Coates, he looks like he has a lot of potential in this position.

I could see the point Hansern was making about going for someone with the experience of winning titles, playing in high pressured games, etc. I'm not in agreement about the chosen player, but the point about the attributes is valid to some extent.

But then if you look at other sides who have taken that approach ..... Sunderland buying a load of United players for example

Is it really such a good basis for a signing?

But then if you look at other sides who have taken that approach ..... Sunderland buying a load of United players for example

Is it really such a good basis for a signing?

No, that's why I said to some extent, if you look at players like Gary Mac (I know), or even Riedle helping Owen bed in for a year, it does count for something, Sami probably gave Leverkusen alot in a season or so, but then the downside is players like O'Shea, Morientes, Pelegrino etc. Of course it has to be the right player, right timing, like with any signing. I wouldn't use it as a basis, but the likes of Sunderland have, to their detriment. What they forgot was that players like O'Shea shone with more experienced and better quality players around them, when they moved on they were found out for what we knew they always were.

Right so what good example is Toure going to set? Who is going to benefit?

What can he teach our youngsters? How to get through drug tests?

Right so what good example is Toure going to set? Who is going to benefit?

What can he teach our youngsters? How to get through drug tests?

I'm not advocating it Ross, I only came into the thread arguing the toss about what point Oncy was making.

I don't know, he's won titles and stuff, I'm lost with where he's at or what he'll bring in all honesty, hopefully it's more Aurelio (without the injuries) than Voronin, but who knows.....

And wasn't his drugs episode down to slimming pills? Still dumb, but anyway.

That was his story.

But the substance can be use as a masking agent - which is why it's banned.

This signing has to be seen in the context that Coates, Skrtel and Carragher all look to have played their last games for us.

Couple that with the fact that Agger is highly injury prone and Wisdom is, as yet, untested at Premier League standard, and I can see why Rodgers will be shiiting himself. That fear has driven this signing.

Personally I'm not expecting much from Kolo, but I'm not that bothered or angered by the signing.

I do know that it will be funny if he turns out to be absolutely boss.

Where have you got 90k from?

Article I read earlier but came across this one now:

"Manchester City central defender Kolo Toure has taken a significant pay cut to join Liverpool."

Liverpool have now confirmed Cheshire Today Sport’s story that the out-of-contract player is to sign for the club when the transfer window opens.
The signing is the first step in manager Brendan Rodgers strategy to radically restructure his defence.
The player has signed a two year contract with the club, but taken a major haircut in terms of pay. At City he was thought to be on £85,000 a week, the Liverpool package is closer to £60,000.
The signing represents a good piece of business for Rodgers, as Toure’s performances when he was called into the City team last season suggested he still has a lot to offer.

It's not the same at all, now who's being silly. I'm not saying if we didn't have Agger we'd need experience, I'm saying we do have Agger (and Skrtel) and we still lack the necessary qualities at the back, whether it be experience, leadership or organisational skills, whatever. It's a moot point, the drift I got was that we didn't need experience in those terms because we already have two 29 year old defenders - but they lack the necessary qualities, whatever their age, so clearly we do need "something", I'm not saying that's Toure but I could see the point Hansern was making about going for someone with the experience of winning titles, playing in high pressured games, etc. I'm not in agreement about the chosen player, but the point about the attributes is valid to some extent.
But that IS the point.
He said APART from Agger.
I was pointing out we HAVE agger and someone else pointed out we have Skrtel.
I didnt suggest we have enough, I didnt suggest we dont need to buy, I didnt suggest anything of the sort.
Youve seen what you wanted to see i guess.

And then you argued that Agger and Skrtel werent experienced, and looked a bit silly.

And APART from the length of time that he has been fat, shit and on drugs, Kolo is good value.

Hansern, scouts don't watch the players that their club has already signed. They watch players who play for other clubs. That's how they identify targets, if they watched their own club and scouted their own players then they'd just keep recommending to the manager to sign players that he has already signed and the whole system would break down.

Ooopss....

@neiljonesecho: #LFC scouts know Toure well from #MCFC. He impressed Rodgers especially when up against Christian Benteke v #AVFC in March.

But that IS the point.
He said APART from Agger.
I was pointing out we HAVE agger and someone else pointed out we have Skrtel.
I didnt suggest we have enough, I didnt suggest we dont need to buy, I didnt suggest anything of the sort.
Youve seen what you wanted to see i guess.

And then you argued that Agger and Skrtel werent experienced, and looked a bit silly.

It's true y'know.

I agree with Oncey's point of people finding loads of positives in players we're linked to or sign that they wouldn't ordinarily. Obviously you expect partisan viewpoints but they can be frustrating if taken to far.

As for Toure, I'm in the "wait and see who else we sign / release" camp.

I agree with Oncey's point of people finding loads of positives in players we're linked to or sign that they wouldn't ordinarily. Obviously you expect partisan viewpoints but they can be frustrating if taken to far.

As for Toure, I'm in the "wait and see who else we sign / release" camp.

Yeah that seems sensible. I'm kinda there too despite my FFS outbursts here and elsewhere. I'd obviously love to have him win me around, but I'm a professional cynic...

Article I read earlier but came across this one now:

"Manchester City central defender Kolo Toure has taken a significant pay cut to join Liverpool."

Liverpool have now confirmed Cheshire Today Sport’s story that the out-of-contract player is to sign for the club when the transfer window opens.
The signing is the first step in manager Brendan Rodgers strategy to radically restructure his defence.
The player has signed a two year contract with the club, but taken a major haircut in terms of pay. At City he was thought to be on £85,000 a week, the Liverpool package is closer to £60,000.
The signing represents a good piece of business for Rodgers, as Toure’s performances when he was called into the City team last season suggested he still has a lot to offer.

Great news if true.

Great news if true.
There's nothing GREAT about toure being at liverpool. He really is quite poor. I understand that rodgers wants leaders and players with winning mentality in the team, but toure isn't the answer. He's here now(or will be) so of course i'll support him and im hoping he proves the majority of us wrong and makes me eat the sweetest of humble pie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom