• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Mignolet v Karius

Prefix for Poll Threads

Who do you want as first choice Keeper for the remainder of this season

• Mignolet

• Karius

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the count

SCM's least favourite muppet- There was a poll
Honorary Member
I know there are two threads on our keepers already and while we all seem to agree that they are both mostly shit I wanted to see who people want to see as first choice keeper for the rest of the season on the assumption that there is none incoming this transfer window.
Feel free to give the reasons for your choice

I'd say Ming but given his age and lack of progress he's going, so no point playing someone without a future. Obviously Ward isn't good enough, you don't go a season without a chance if you're good enough.

That leaves yer man, slightly more useless than Ming but he has more youth on his side

Personally I'd like Ward to be given a chance for a game or two to see if he's capable enough to at least be 2nd choice but out of Mignolet or Karius it would have to be Mignolet as they are both more than capable of fuck ups but at least Mignolet makes some good saves now and again whereas Karius can only make standard saves that a non league keeper could make. He may be better than he's shown so far but if he needs this many chances and still fails to impress then he mustn't have the mental strength to be at a club of our size.

Personally I'd like Ward to be given a chance for a game or two to see if he's capable enough to at least be 2nd choice but out of Mignolet or Karius it would have to be Mignolet as they are both more than capable of fuck ups but at least Mignolet makes some good saves now and again whereas Karius can only make standard saves that a non league keeper could make. He may be better than he's shown so far but if he needs this many chances and still fails to impress then he mustn't have the mental strength to be at a club of our size.

I haven't seen Ward other than that game when he hardly touched the ball, so I can't say if he deserves that or not. Can't be far away based on the other two and their performances though. But I am sceptical to this 1 game or 2 approach. If we believe he is the one to make that spot his own he should get the chance permanently. It takes time to cement such a spot so increasing the pressure by limiting the games he is given a chance is not going to help.

Hasn't Mignolet's statement today suggested that he'll be pushing hard for a January move?

He does not want to be benched on the run up to a world cup.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if his agent is speaking to clubs where he'll be guaranteed first spot.

Karius.

I've had it with Mignolet, slow of mind and body he does my head in and his dismal performance that spoilt my night at the Emirates was the very last straw. Rubbish distribution, always liable to drop a clanger and spreads panic throughout the defence (and the crowd), he's had 5(?) years to work on his weaknesses and he's probably worse now than when he arrived, so there's zero chance he will improve now.

Karius is a risk because, a bit like Mignolet, he doesn't seem to make wonder saves. Just keeps out the ones that are hit straight at him and he seems to think a clean sheet refers to his kit because he doesn't even bother diving. Stands there like he's a spectator watching balls fly into his net. But on the basis that he is not Mignolet and at least Karius can kick beyond the halfway line occasionally and is faster off his line, plus he's been OK in the Champions League (bar one free kick in Moscow) then he gets my vote. Not much of an endorsement but maybe he can still develop into a decent keeper if given a run of games so let's see what he's made of for the rest of the season.

If the Count had included Danny Ward in the vote, I would have been more than tempted to go with him. Watched him a lot for Huddersfield last season and he was very steady and made some outstanding stops. His distribution isn't great but he seems to have the right temperament for a keeper, not least with his penalty saves in the shoot-out at Wembley to win promotion for Huddersfield.

Mignolet is the better keeper. He would have stopped Sané's shot on Sunday. I don't see anything to like about Karius. When he catches a cross, he tends to let go of the ball for a couple of anxious seconds. He likes to roll the ball out to a defender, which is OK except that he still rolls it out when the defender is clearly going to be closed down by opponents. And while Ming makes spectacular saves on a regular basis, I don't remember anything like that from Karius.

I think Klopp is suffering from the stiff-necked manager syndrome. He keeps picking Karius because he doesn't want to admit he made a mistake bringing him over from Germany.

Edit: I am amazed to see that Karius is winning the popular vote in the poll.

What a bunch of numpties! :D

If the Count had included Danny Ward in the vote, I would have been more than tempted to go with him. Watched him a lot for Huddersfield last season and he was very steady and made some outstanding stops. His distribution isn't great but he seems to have the right temperament for a keeper, not least with his penalty saves in the shoot-out at Wembley to win promotion for Huddersfield.
I didn't put him in the poll because it seems clear that Klopp still has him as third choice and I was keen to see what the split was between Mignolet and Karius.
Besides, I felt if I put him in the poll he would win easily on the basis that unlike the other two he has yet to prove that he is shit. :)

Mignolet is the better keeper. He would have stopped Sané's shot on Sunday. I don't see anything to like about Karius. When he catches a cross, he tends to let go of the ball for a couple of anxious seconds. He likes to roll the ball out to a defender, which is OK except that he still rolls it out when the defender is clearly going to be closed down by opponents. And while Ming makes spectacular saves on a regular basis, I don't remember anything like that from Karius.

I think Klopp is suffering from the stiff-necked manager syndrome. He keeps picking Karius because he doesn't want to admit he made a mistake bringing him over from Germany.

Edit: I am amazed to see that Karius is winning the popular vote in the poll.

What a bunch of numpties! :D

I think Klopp is being stiff-necked, but not for this reason. After all, he has relegated Karius to the subordinate position for most of his time here. I imagine Klopp took massive exception to Ming repeating a media criticism to him. Klopp, like most managers, is prickly about media criticism and probably decided there and then to fuck Ming off. I want Ming gone, but Karius is not the answer. I'd have Ming all day long before him.

Mignolet isn't generally a bad keeper, he's just not reliable enough. He's the kind of keeper who'll come back to Anfield with another club and shut us out, only to make an error in his next game against Stoke. Also, there's his reputation - once you get that reputation as a dodgy keeper, you can go on the most faultless run of performances but as soon as you make the slightest error it will be seen through that remorselessly negative perspective. He can't win, so he's already lost.

We've not seen enough of Karius to make a definitive judgement. I suspect, while Ming's Arsenal performance was one of the FFS moments for Klopp, bringing in Karius now is not entirely unconnected to the fact that Klopp wants him more stable for the next round of the Champons League. It's a case of sit back and wait and see - no amount of arguing here and now will enlighten us as to what he may or may not do before the season is finished.

Ward (like Ming) is good at saving pens, and of the three I think he has the most balanced all round game, but in a case such as his I'd always ask: would you be keen to sign him and make him number one if he was at another club? No, basically. So much of the enthusiasm for him is pretty shallow.

Hasn't Mignolet's statement today suggested that he'll be pushing hard for a January move?

He does not want to be benched on the run up to a world cup.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if his agent is speaking to clubs where he'll be guaranteed first spot.

As if he'd start for Belgium anyway.

Neither of them are good enough although Ming is a bigger name so probably wouldnt stay as 2nd choice. For the rest of the season Id give Karius a run and see if he improves, we know Ming wont, hes been the same for years now. Barring a huge improvement by Karius Id say we are in the market for a new keeper this summer.

Would have taken the "neither" option had one been offered. However I went with Karius as Ming clearly has no future at the club. I agree that Ming is the better of the 2 at this time but Karius, skating on thin ice, needs to show just a glimpse of the keeper Klopp thought he was buying and must be given the chance before being euthanised or tied in a bag and left at the side of a motorway.

As an aside, shame on all the people commenting on his nose. Simon suffers from "dish-face", a birth defect that gives a person a strangely concave face. People with dish-face syndrome usually opt for corrective rhinoplasty in their late teens as their nose will grow, if left unchecked, to unusually large dimensions, see Jimmy Schnozzle Durante, and produces a profile much akin to Mr Punch Punchinello, the famous wife beater, in later life.

I think Klopp really sees something, or his trusted advisers see something, in Karius that they believe will make him a top keeper.

Looking at the timing of this, it seems obvious that he's held off putting him into the glare of the spotlight after his unconvincing start until VVD has come in.

The rest of this season is gonna be Karius in goal, & tbh if the only alternative is Mignolet then it makes no difference to me.

They're both shit currently. The only reason I & everyone assume Mignolet is better is cos we've seen some good things in the 200 plus appearances he's made with no chance of being dropped until this season.

Karius has made what, 15 or so appearances, almost all of them being dropped in & out of the side.

It's not a far judgement to deem them both shite, as Karius hasn't had a fair chance yet imo.

As I said in a thread yesterday, ideally I'd like us to buy a top keeper & send karius on loan to another premiership club to play every week for a season, but AFAIK there are no top keepers available now, so Karius being given a fair shake doesn't make any odds over Mignolet playing, & at least we'll have more of an idea.

Let's look at it this way, if Karius does find his form & start looking like the real deal we'll save a shitload of cash, if he doesn't, then we'll be stronger in defence thanks to. VVD anyway, & it's not like Mignolet is saving us points every match.

I don't think we need any videos heavily edited by some lonely spotty herbert to assess a keeper carefully - though it is a bit rum how people are keen to show their scepticism about such videos, good or bad, when we're linked with someone, and equally keen to accept them as definitive arguments when it suits them. The fact is Karius will either show he can improve, or that he can't, between now and the end of the season, and, if it's the latter, we'll buy another keeper (whose videos will then be questioned relentlessly before he arrives). The rest is just pointless chatter, to accompany the pointless chatter in the other thread on the same subject that's already into its third day. All a bit sad.

There's no chance that we can get a good keeper in January, and a real chance we won't be able to this summer, when the World Cup is on and demand will be soaring. We are in a bit of a pickle so I can see the benefit in giving karius a gamble.

We've a shedload of cash in the kitty and two seriously sub par keepers to choose from.

I find it mind-blowing that we're not going all out to sign a world class keeper and Klopp's considering playing Karius for the rest of a pivotal season.

Fucking madness

I can't recall Karius ever recieving a run of games that's longer than 5 games or so, so yeah give him the nod, we'll just have to outscore opponents for a while and maybe after 10-20 games he'll be decent.

I can't recall Karius ever recieving a run of games that's longer than 5 games or so, so yeah give him the nod, we'll just have to outscore opponents for a while and maybe after 10-20 games he'll be decent.

Unfortunately we enter a stage of the season were we will need a goalie to save us some points or CL games. And I I don't see Karius do this, where Ming could have. However as an overall goalie in our team I think he has the same or better chance than Ming to develop his game and command his area. Hopefully his height and a Commander of Chief in defence will help him out for the next months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom