• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Other forum meltdown watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
There isn't, but it was brought in to make more correct decisions and improve the game. I don't think it's done either of them to be honest. It definitely can be changed into something workable, but they need to get clearer on it. I'd suggest that they stop using it for offside altogether.
I still think it just needs time and refinement.

If the current flawed state is still an improvement on the past, we should be able to live with it while it settles into something better.

I think it is a good thing and here to stay. Of course it has been frustrating during it's inception; mainly due to lengthy periods of review but I've no doubt this will be reduced as experience is gained.

I dont feel the time factor for reviews is an issue at all. It's continuing to get the calls wrong and a feeling that there is no accountability to or from the onfield officials that is the issue.

I agree with jexy on the timelapse point. Those delays flatten the atmosphere IMO and with it the overall enjoyment factor. Things kinda crank up again when the decision is made, but it's not the same.

Why do we need pitch side monitors anyway? Strap an iPhone or something to the wrist. If a ref’s advised to run to the side of the pitch every time there’s a close call, how much time would that add on?

Why do we need pitch side monitors anyway? Strap an iPhone or something to the wrist. If a ref’s advised to run to the side of the pitch every time there’s a close call, how much time would that add on?

It shouldn't be more than 2 times, maybe max 3 over a game. Rest is for the ref to see during the match.

All the talk and analysis over every VAR decision gives the impression of "VAR controversy", but does anyone actually think there are more incorrect decisions given now compared to pre-VAR?
Of course there aren't and in fact there are demonstrably fewer (in fact just from offsides alone). It's just the media and fans like to put a name to their grievances. And it is called VAR.

There isn't, but it was brought in to make more correct decisions and improve the game. I don't think it's done either of them to be honest. It definitely can be changed into something workable, but they need to get clearer on it. I'd suggest that they stop using it for offside altogether.
Seriously ? Do away with it for the one area that managers don't object and which it is clearly right (under the current conditions and guidelines) virtually every time ?

I dont feel the time factor for reviews is an issue at all. It's continuing to get the calls wrong and a feeling that there is no accountability to or from the onfield officials that is the issue.
Let's be clear here. IT isn't getting the decisions wrong. The officials are. So better training and clearer instructions to said officials would likely clear up half of the issues raised. And none of that has anything to do with VAR itself.

I agree with jexy on the timelapse point. Those delays flatten the atmosphere IMO and with it the overall enjoyment factor. Things kinda crank up again when the decision is made, but it's not the same.
On the flip side the media love it ... controversy and something for the studio guests to discuss ad nauseum. I actually think the TV audience enjoy it too, because they get to see the reviews.

Seriously ? Do away with it for the one area that managers don't object and which it is clearly right (under the current conditions and guidelines) virtually every time ?

Meh, offside wasn't really a problem before, and I don't think they've really made it any better. The bigger problems are penalties bad tackles.

Let's be clear here. IT isn't getting the decisions wrong. The officials are. So better training and clearer instructions to said officials would likely clear up half of the issues raised. And none of that has anything to do with VAR itself.

Agree. And for subjective calls let the judgment sit with the official on the field. The technology should be used to enhance his ability to call the match, not to take it out of his hands.

Meh, offside wasn't really a problem before, and I don't think they've really made it any better. The bigger problems are penalties bad tackles.
Offsides have ALWAYS been a problem and with the speed of today's game even more. VAR gets 100% of them right.

Offsides have ALWAYS been a problem and with the speed of today's game even more. VAR gets 100% of them right.

Did you read anything I wrote? VAR for offside is pretty random and has no basis for calling a decision any better than the linesman.

First they pick a random frame as the moment of forward pass. The cameras are not good enough regardless of frame rate to select the exact to the mm moment.

Next we assume that the cameras are synced perfectly so the frame at 55 mins 10.006 secs on camera A is synced to the frame on Camera B (which gets even more fucking ridiculous if the two cameras have different frame rates)

Finally having selected one specific frame they use single pixel lines to “prove” someone is onside even though the players are moving far faster than the cameras can cope

Ultimately the public are shown a frame that is a best guess from those available and used almost forensically whilst currently the tech is way off being used in this way

Did you read anything I wrote? VAR for offside is pretty random and has no basis for calling a decision any better than the linesman.

First they pick a random frame as the moment of forward pass. The cameras are not good enough regardless of frame rate to select the exact to the mm moment.

Next we assume that the cameras are synced perfectly so the frame at 55 mins 10.006 secs on camera A is synced to the frame on Camera B (which gets even more fucking ridiculous if the two cameras have different frame rates)

Finally having selected one specific frame they use single pixel lines to “prove” someone is onside even though the players are moving far faster than the cameras can cope

Ultimately the public are shown a frame that is a best guess from those available and used almost forensically whilst currently the tech is way off being used in this way
I've tried explaining this loads. Unfortunately most people don't get frame rates & the fact that the Premier league don't tell anyone opnely they're actually using 50fps cameras for var offsides instead of the 240fps ones they used at the world cup (hence the reason the world cup offside shots were clear, not blurred) & that potentially introduces a huge margin of error.

And did you actually consider anything I said before you started typing furiously on the keyboard ?

I said as the rules stand it gets it 100% right so whatever the FPS is it is irrelevant in that context despite the margin for error. And I also said it's better than any human being could mange. Not that difficult to understand is it.

I've tried explaining this loads. Unfortunately most people don't get frame rates & the fact that the Premier league don't tell anyone opnely they're actually using 50fps cameras for var offsides instead of the 240fps ones they used at the world cup (hence the reason the world cup offside shots were clear, not blurred) & that potentially introduces a huge margin of error.
Are you suggesting that as an ex-pro photographer I don't understand FPS ? :(

Fuck VAR!

Back on track with the fume.

[article]Fabianski playing to the PL script.
Fucking joke.[/article]

[article]True, I think every fan outside of the cult would tell you our centurion side was on another level to this scouse one, even if they went on to 112 points.
[/article]

Even though we’ll probably get more points they’ll be a better team. Seems logical.

[article]Maybe up there on grinding out wins.... But best footballing team ever..... Fuck off with that shit.... Why is it even up for debate? Kills me[/article]

This guy needs a cuddle.

[article]Will still only be one Domestic trophy for Klopp in five seasons.
[/article]

And more European success than in City’s entire history.

Fuck VAR!

Back on track with the fume.

[article]Fabianski playing to the PL script.
Fucking joke.[/article]

Thanks Momo... Hahahaha hahahaha back to where it was. Hahaha hahaha

[article]True, I think every fan outside of the cult would tell you our centurion side was on another level to this scouse one, even if they went on to 112 points.
[/article]

Even though we’ll probably get more points they’ll be a better team. Seems logical.

[article]Maybe up there on grinding out wins.... But best footballing team ever..... Fuck off with that shit.... Why is it even up for debate? Kills me[/article]

This guy needs a cuddle.

[article]Will still only be one Domestic trophy for Klopp in five seasons.
[/article]

And more European success than in City’s entire history.

And did you actually consider anything I said before you started typing furiously on the keyboard ?

I said as the rules stand it gets it 100% right so whatever the FPS is it is irrelevant in that context despite the margin for error. And I also said it's better than any human being could mange. Not that difficult to understand is it.

Are you suggesting that as an ex-pro photographer I don't understand FPS ? :(

I'm now lost. I've explained, you've stated you have the background to explain frame rates and yet you still state using video frame by frame gets the decision right 100%.

It doesn't because it can't. No more than the oh-so-clever pundits on the TV shows using a random frame in their analysis to show someone is offside.

1. Can you detect the moment the pass is made? No, frame rates to low
  2. Can you reliably sync two cameras to capture a linked frame at the same moment? No
  3. Approx. how much can a player move been frames (player in full sprint 8.5m/s)? 17cm (50fps), 7cm (120 fps) or 3.5 cm (240 fps)
So given the above how is it possible to be right 100% of the time?

To be clear I'm not saying don't use it. I'm saying stop giving the impression it is millimetre perfect.

I'm now lost. I've explained, you've stated you have the background to explain frame rates and yet you still state using video frame by frame gets the decision right 100%.

It doesn't because it can't. No more than the oh-so-clever pundits on the TV shows using a random frame in their analysis to show someone is offside.

1. Can you detect the moment the pass is made? No, frame rates to low
  2. Can you reliably sync two cameras to capture a linked frame at the same moment? No
  3. Approx. how much can a player move been frames (player in full sprint 8.5m/s)? 17cm (50fps), 7cm (120 fps) or 3.5 cm (240 fps)
So given the above how is it possible to be right 100% of the time?

To be clear I'm not saying don't use it. I'm saying stop giving the impression it is millimetre perfect.
Honestly I'm shocked you still don't get it and bothered to write that mate. Shocked. It's as if you think I don't understand fps, as someone who shot sports professionally with cameras spitting out up to 20 fps and now video at 25/30/50/60 and 120fps.

What is it about my statement that "as the rules stand it gets it 100% right so whatever the FPS is it is irrelevant in that context despite the margin for error" which clearly states the irrelevance of the difference because they don't consider it, that you are not getting? Maybe I didn't transfer my thoughts to electronic screen intelligibly.

So to clarify, most of us know there is a difference between the fps and reality (you are absolutely correct Dee) however we all know that they have to pick a frame so ... under those rules VAR is correct every time, within the limitations of the system, even if reality may vary. It's a limitation that was understood by the FA before implementation and it's the same limitation as suffered in other sports (as an aside to our discussion: it's probably why it takes them so long to adjudicate - because they have first to decide which frame to use).

[bcolor=#fcfcff]klopp saying he never thought city record of 18 consecutive Premier League wins was possible hahahahah well the other keepers like last night help, then you have VAR and officials and 18 wins is easy for liverpool is possible [/bcolor]

[bcolor=#fcfcff] i will say it again manchester city never get any that sort of thing going our way in games ? and then VAR and the officials in place to stop city not helping ? and how many times you see city players getting lumps kicked out of us ? so every thing manchester city win is not questionable in any sort of way and it feels like double glory [/bcolor]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom