• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre match Chelsea away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brentford - threw away the lead twice, drew 3-3
Brighton - 2 nil up, 2-2
City - 2-1 up, drew 2-2
Spurs - 2-1 up, drew 2-2
Chelsea - 2 nil up, drew 2-2

Some really shit performances and collapses there. The City one maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but they're the games you have to see out. It's happening too often. We're actually shit defensively now. And that's why we won't win anything this season.

Brighton - 2 nil up, 2-2
City - 2-1 up, drew 2-2
Spurs - 2-1 up, drew 2-2

Some really shit performances and collapses there. The City one maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but they're the games you have to see out. It's happening too often. We're actually shit defensively now. And that's why we won't win anything this season.

Robbo has only been 'on' the last 1-1.5 months of season
VvD is clearly not back.
TAA has been on and off defensively.
Were it not for Matip, we'd have been even worse.

No coverage from Henderson like years gone by - so our RB has little protection if he's out of position.

It all adds up.

Both Fabinho and Virgil looked like they were feeling the effects of having Covid recently. A bit slow, not being concentrated and «off» fitness wise.

Robbo has only been 'on' the last 1-1.5 months of season
VvD is clearly not back.
TAA has been on and off defensively.
Were it not for Matip, we'd have been even worse.

No coverage from Henderson like years gone by - so our RB has little protection if he's out of position.

It all adds up.

I think, as well, we've lost Wijnaldum who was more solid defensively than anyone else that has played there since.

There's a big rebuild needed at this club. And I'm not sure FSG are gonna put their hands in their pocket and finance it.

Brighton - 2 nil up, 2-2
City - 2-1 up, drew 2-2
Spurs - 2-1 up, drew 2-2

It stems from the midfield not being able to control games or providing the defence enough protection

I think, as well, we've lost Wijnaldum who was more solid defensively than anyone else that has played there since.

There's a big rebuild needed at this club. And I'm not sure FSG are gonna put their hands in their pocket and finance it.

Yah, the investment in Thiago, instead of Gini has been a huge mistake that we've not really managed to overcome.

I actually think Klopp’s substitutions worked - not that Ox and Keita did anything of note individually, but our midfield was getting killed and we needed fresh energy - but having both Keita and Ox in midfield protected by 50% fit Fabinho would have been way too open. After the substitution, we have corrected the balance in midfield somewhat and at times even took the game to Chelsea. Essentially Klopp sacrificed some cutting edge for balance - without these changes we would have probably lost.

I actually think Klopp’s substitutions worked - not that Ox and Keita did anything of note individually, but our midfield was getting killed and we needed fresh energy - but having both Keita and Ox in midfield protected by 50% fit Fabinho would have been way too open. After the substitution, we have corrected the balance in midfield somewhat and at times even took the game to Chelsea. Essentially Klopp sacrificed some cutting edge for balance - without these changes we would have probably lost.
I definitely think we could have gone with Fabs, Hendo and Keita. I said before the match that starting with the three we did was an accident waiting to happen 9and did with Milner's awful tackle which turned the match - go in 0-2 at HT which looked very likely and we would have won).

With Hendo deeper alongside Fabs, rather than trying to play the abysmal AM he attempted yesterday, we'd have afforded far more protection and had more bodies in midfield, which, with Chelsea throwing 4-5 players in there, led to us being over-run at times and was chaotic to say the least.

Hendo constantly gave the ball away because he was under pressure and lacks the close technical control of say Kovacic, Keita, Kante or Thiago.

There's a chance it could galvanise the squad as well though, depending how popular a character Lukaku is compared to Tuchel

Just like to say I said this yesterday before the game. That was the most intense Chelsea have played all season; I wouldn't be surprised if they're linked

Disagree with this. When we brought on those 2, Chelsea also changed tactic by taking chalobah off and bringing on Jorginho. That opened a lot of space for us. We would have had a bit more joy regardless of our subs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom